F-15se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    You're not 100% wrong, but you're far from right. Look at total US forces in South Korea. They're not there for China.
    He also mentioned Japan. The bigger picture is mostly about PRC containment which includes USAF in ROK. The DPRK's air force doesn't stand a chance against ROK, much less our assets in the region.

Comment

Theres a couple of senario's.

1. Korea has china's blessing to try and annex the south, in that case our US forces are there as a speed bump to hopefully hold enough territory to make a landing functional so that were aren't trying to establish and opposed beachhead, and no matter what ensure that so many thousand of US citizens were killed so that the populace won't back out of a war with the north.

2. Kim says a division or two goes rogue and gets handled by the troops on site.

3. provides something of a base and second front if tiawan and china go hot and nutty.

4 Kim goes full nuts and does his I'm nutty thing.

Comment

Well coming back to F 15se tropic I think the internally mounted weapons on the F 15se would increase the missile life in flight compared to conventional hardpoint mounted ones.

Comment

Originally posted by payeng View Post
          Well coming back to F 15se tropic I think the internally mounted weapons on the F 15se would increase the missile life in flight compared to conventional hardpoint mounted ones.
          Honestly how big of an issue is this? I'm not a munitions guy, (no matter what any AF 623 might have said I was qualified for at any point in time) but really I've heard of hooks wearing out occasionally but not the rings on a munition and cleaning contacts for the electronics isn't hard at all. I imagine it might occasionally happen aboard airplanes that are carring a couple of air to air missiles and doing nothing but bombruns but even then they would have to be on huge numbers of missions before anything bad happens to them.

EW pods which I do know about and are mounted on the same hardpoints. tend to go obsolete and get their inards ripped out and upgraded by backshop long before they die in service due to bufeting in flight. For that matter something usually burns itself up in them component wise before anything else in my observation, (I'd say from a hum looking back at fixes I remember with them this is not record compiled or a true statistic but I bet its fairly close for the period I worked with them problemwise; Its 5% user error 7% poor installation 3% non-duplicatable issue 40% manuvering knocked something or other loose componet wise inside and 45% some component or other on a board inside burnt causing it to fail and a fair amount of that last one is because someone was in a hurry and had it on to long on the ground without proper cooling) I just simply can't think of what is going to cause a hardpoint mounted weapon to die like that on a regular basis..

Comment

So what about aerodynamic drag, more over electronic pods need no release in the air, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by KRON1 View Post
              He also mentioned Japan. The bigger picture is mostly about PRC containment which includes USAF in ROK. The DPRK's air force doesn't stand a chance against ROK, much less our assets in the region.
              If "doesn't stand a chance" you mean eventually allied forces would win, that's true. If you mean it would be a cakewalk...well...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                If "doesn't stand a chance" you mean eventually allied forces would win, that's true. If you mean it would be a cakewalk...well...
                Cakewalk in the air 'yes'.... the ground war is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                  Honestly how big of an issue is this?
                  None at all really. The only missiles would care about stress fatigue are AA conducting a bunch of MIGCAP, but if you keep them under stress levels in-flight they will last you a good long time.

Comment

They don't get released in the air.... The fact that they don't get dropped or fired at anyone is part of what generally gives them longer lives than muntions (at least the bodies of them the boards inside get changed a bit here and there.) they can also only be mounted on certain hard points due to power and control hook-ups. Pods are larger than most air to air missles and not as well suited to suited to hi g manuver I don't have the drag numbers on each but I'd be amazed though if a lantirn had a lower drag than say a sparrow. Usually the whole worry with hardpoints is getting things to stay on reliably till you want them to come off. Its part of why there are pins inserted into the mechanisms for hardpoints to keep them from coming off on the ground.

I'm not going to say that there is no worry about a bomb or missile making a whole bunch of trips up and down and going through manuvers, Its simply not my department. I am going to say that I have never heard of it being a major concern at all and really don't think it has a serious bearing on the decision to put in a covered bay when you are trying to make an aircraft more stealthy. I am fairly certain it has far more to do with 1. Reducing radar signature from all of the angles produced when you have a missile or bomb mounted to a hardpoint; 2. seeing if you can reduce drag overall for better preformance mounting a bunch of stuff on the bottom of a plane adds drag and generally reduces its efficiancy range and manuveraiblity. This is why you almost never see an F-15 or F-16 carring its theoretical full combat load-out.

Interestingly in theory an F-15E can carry more bomb weight than an B-17 12 tons versus 10 and 4 sparrows.
                    Last edited by Maxor; 22 Mar 09,, 19:35.

Comment

Pretty much what I figured Kron and rendered the post below it rather null. I'm so confused as to what payeng is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by payeng View Post
                        So what about aerodynamic drag, more over electronic pods need no release in the air, isn't it?
                        Uh, yeah... you do not release ECM pods. So what and who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by KRON1 View Post
                          Cakewalk in the air 'yes'....
                          I'll keep that in mind. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Doomarias View Post
                            Man this actually fits Australia's needs quite well, have they decided on a aardvark replacement yet?
                            The Superhornet is replacing the F-111.
                            Ego Numquam

Comment

F-15SE Silent Eagle

Boeing F-15SE Silent Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know I'm a few years late on this but can someone please tell me how the development of the F-15SE Silent Eagle is going on, or if it's going to get canceled.
                              I personally think it's a great idea. And what do you think about this being done to other aircraft, like the F-16 or even on some Su-27's and MiG-29's?

Comment

oscar156 Reply

We have a thread started here where some of your questions may be answered.

Secondly, as a new member it'd be appreciated if you'd stop by the new members thread at the top of the home page and give us a brief introduction about yourself. That will also be a great time to read the forum guidelines along with Zraver's Completely Unofficial Guide To Surviving The WAB.

Welcome to the WAB, WABBITville and the WABBITs. Enjoy yourself and don't forget the intro.
                                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                                X