Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico slaps tariffs on U.S. goods in truck feud

artist Senior Contributor Donnie's Avatar

Mexico slaps tariffs on U.S. goods in truck feud

Mexico slaps tariffs on U.S. goods in truck feud

MEXICO CITY/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Mexico slapped tariffs on 90 American agricultural and manufactured exports on Monday in retaliation for Washington's move to block Mexican trucks from using U.S. highways.

Mexican Economy Minister Gerardo Ruiz said about $2.4 billion worth of exports from 40 U.S. states would be affected and that his government would soon publish a list of them.

Last week, the U.S. Congress canceled funding for a test program begun by the Bush administration that allowed Mexican long-haul trucks to circulate in the United States in compliance with the North American Free Trade Agreement.

"We consider this action by the United States to be mistaken, protectionist and clearly in violation of (NAFTA)," Ruiz told reporters in Mexico City.......
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090316/...xico_usa_trade

I'll be interested to see how Obama handels this, the tarrifs will probably be insignificant, but it's a shot across the bough.
    Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
    Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
    Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
    Listen to the words long written down
    When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Banned Contributor
    The last thing we need right now is a trade war with Mexico.

Tariffs would be insignificant on this side of the border, but in Mexico that small difference could place the item financially out of reach for the Mexican people. We have had nothing but problems with Mexican truckers since this debacle began. What it comes down to is that what Mexico thinks is a safe driver and truck widely differs from what we think is safe for our highways.

I think now would be a great time to show Mexico who is the boss and who is the bitch in this relationship. Mexico has lost site of who is who for quite some time now. It is high time mexico realized that the US is a sovereign state and not some state of Mexico. Stop the commodities at the border. We do not need the food poisoned produce or the crappy beer. We can also do with out the inferiorly made products.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Tariffs would be insignificant on this side of the border, but in Mexico that small difference could place the item financially out of reach for the Mexican people. We have had nothing but problems with Mexican truckers since this debacle began. What it comes down to is that what Mexico thinks is a safe driver and truck widely differs from what we think is safe for our highways.

I think now would be a great time to show Mexico who is the boss and who is the bitch in this relationship. Mexico has lost site of who is who for quite some time now. It is high time mexico realized that the US is a sovereign state and not some state of Mexico. Stop the commodities at the border. We do not need the food poisoned produce or the crappy beer. We can also do with out the inferiorly made products.
    First off, Corona is delicious.

The reality here is that we signed a free trade agreement and are benefitting from that relationship. We are violating that free trade agreement when we don't allow Mexican truckers into the United States, which hurts US consumers and benefits the Teamsters. Mexican truckers are pulled over for safety violations at a rate similar to US truckers.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shek View Post

The reality here is that we signed a free trade agreement and are benefitting from that relationship. We are violating that free trade agreement when we don't allow Mexican truckers into the United States, which hurts US consumers and benefits the Teamsters. Mexican truckers are pulled over for safety violations at a rate similar to US truckers.
    It does not benefit the Teamsters since the only union shops are LTL carriers not long haul.

Issues-

Can they read English road signs and traffic directions
    Can they fill out a DOT approved logbook properly
    Can they follow DOT hours of service requirements
    Are their trucks emissions up to American standards
    Are their inspections up to date.
    Do they get paid a competitive wage in America.
    Drug testing issues
    Will Mexico open up its roads to American trucks
    1 in 4 Mexican drivers did not have a CDL type license
    1 in 5 trucks had bad brakes
    Every American driver replaced costs 16,000 annually in lost tax revenue.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    It does not benefit the Teamsters since the only union shops are LTL carriers not long haul.

Issues-

These 2 points actually translate directly into savings for the American people.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Corona...delicious???Say it ain't so, Shek. Anyway, this has as much to do with road safety as the ILSWU's protests against Dubai Ports had to do with security concerns.Organized labor getting butthurt that their ricebowl might get yanked away by somebody cheaper and more efficient. This is nothing more than a protectionist congress carrying the water for their union constituencies. Moves like this,combined with the "buy American" provisos in the stimulus plan paint an ugly picture. Hawley Smoot here we come.
    Last edited by cato; 17 Mar 09, at 21:55.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Corona...delicious???Say it ain't so, Shek.
    I always found them to be tasty after a few margaritas . . .
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Military Professional

Cato Reply

"Hawley Smoot here we come."

Yup.

"Corona...delicious???"

Concur.

Something about the water down there...
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

artist Senior Contributor Donnie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S-2 View Post
    Something about the water down there...
    i thought you had to drink the beer because you couldnt drink the water?
    Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
    Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
    Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
    Listen to the words long written down
    When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    These 2 points actually translate directly into savings for the American people.
    From what I have learned from the corporate world is that lower transportation cost do not always translate into lower cost at the cash register. If they can, the companies pocket the difference and the consumer ends up paying the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post

Issues-

Can they read English road signs and traffic directions
    Can they fill out a DOT approved logbook properly
    Can they follow DOT hours of service requirements
    Are their trucks emissions up to American standards
    Are their inspections up to date.
    Drug testing issues
    Will Mexico open up its roads to American trucks
    1 in 4 Mexican drivers did not have a CDL type license
    1 in 5 trucks had bad brakes
    Of the three decades I have been tooling up and down the highways and by ways there are only two times I have had run ins with truck drivers. Both times Mexican. Some, but not all speak/read english. I do not like the idea of someone behind the wheel of an 80,000# rig who can not read the road signs. I guess some where in the fine print of NAFTA there is a clause where we have to put in spanish signs to help them along. From what I understand the drivers are not held to the same standards of US CDL drivers. They just have to full fill their Mexican standards and they are in.

You guys can drink my share of corona as I could never stomach the stuff. Besides, there are too many really great beers in the PNW for me to lower my standards. Nor do I have to pay some freight fee as I can get it directly from the source. Fresh is best.

How do our goods get into Mexico? American drivers all the way or no.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    From what I have learned from the corporate world is that lower transportation cost do not always translate into lower cost at the cash register. If they can, the companies pocket the difference and the consumer ends up paying the same price.
    In that case, the company either pays out dividends to stock holders, or use the profit to expand and hire more people. Stock price will go up to indicate the company has potential. The people win.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Thread Information