Best Weapon for Home Defense is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treasure44 View Post
    I agree with the general consensus of if someones in your house he gets done.

although in england we are not aloud firearms so i spose hed get the cricket bat
    An old sword bayonet if they come around my way.
    Nulli Secundus
    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Did they put the dog down?
      I don't know, I hope not. My pit is a huge baby around my family, but he'd kill to keep them safe. People misunderstand pits. A well bred pit was bred to be animal agressive, but people stable. During a classic dog fight there would be 2 dogs and 3 people in the pit or box. 2 handlers and the referee. The handlers needed to be able to handle the dogs when the ref called a turn so a dog could scratch (cross the line in the middle of the pit). Since the goal of the fight was to see which dog gave up first and would refuse to scratch the handler of the dog who was not supposed to scratch would hold his dog until the very last second. This could and did leave the dogs fighting in the same corner on top of the handler. Also important is that the injured winner needed to be cared for. Wounded with something very close to battlefield trauma the dog had to feel secure enough around its handlers not to fear/pain bite. If the handlers could not do emergency care the dog would die (they go into the fight dehydrated to minimize blood loss) and a dead dog can't breed. This breeding of the winners created a breed that is superbly motivated, very people friendly, with a very stable temperament and super ahtletic. Granted low bred or scatter bred pits are not subject to this standard but if you can get a pit from a long line of classic fighting stock you've got the words best baby sitter.

Information from Richard F Statton's books, I am not a dog fighter.

Comment

The problem with pits and other "dangerous" dogs is that a lot of the dog keepers are Lumpen proletarians with barely enough competence to make a phone call.

In Belgium, usually the gabber subculture (nazi morons doing speed and XTC in schools) keeps them, and trains them to be agressive fighting dogs.

Result is: the dogs attack often, and they get a bad name.

When in reality there's nothing wrong with the dogs.

One should outlaw morons, not dogs.

Comment

For personal protection I have a nice, sharp machete within reach in my room as well as a family dog who is not too keen on intruders.

As for the best defense dog: cane corso. I want one when I have my own place.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            NSFW NSFW NSFW or for weak stomachs or small children

Pitbull vs Thief

http://www.zoopedup.com/blogs/read.aspx?id=3437
            Guess he didn't see the Beware of Dog(or little brown terminator) sign. Any details on the story?

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
              Guess he didn't see the Beware of Dog(or little brown terminator) sign. Any details on the story?
              No details found, but nothing on Snopes to says its a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
                For personal protection I have a nice, sharp machete within reach in my room as well as a family dog who is not too keen on intruders.

As for the best defense dog: cane corso. I want one when I have my own place.

bahh... A pits faster, stronger, and has more will. Plus Pits don't suffer torsion, slobber like mastiffs, they eat less and live 1/3 longer :)

Comment

A mastiff does not bark all night. They do their, " I know you are there woof" and all is quiet. Not too many things are going to muscle by a mastiff in a narrow passage either. It is the slobber that turns me off. The enormous piles of processed dog food aint too pretty. An Akita would be my choice. No one is getting to my kids as long as the Akita is alive. Even corporal punishment is out the window. An Akita can show the intruder the way out, check on the kids, and then take care of business, all with out waking me up. If only the wife was as well trained.
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    A mastiff does not bark all night. They do their, " I know you are there woof" and all is quiet. Not too many things are going to muscle by a mastiff in a narrow passage either. It is the slobber that turns me off. The enormous piles of processed dog food aint too pretty. An Akita would be my choice. No one is getting to my kids as long as the Akita is alive. Even corporal punishment is out the window. An Akita can show the intruder the way out, check on the kids, and then take care of business, all with out waking me up. If only the wife was as well trained.
                    Akitas sure are pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      I don't know, I hope not. My pit is a huge baby around my family, but he'd kill to keep them safe. People misunderstand pits. A well bred pit was bred to be animal agressive, but people stable. During a classic dog fight there would be 2 dogs and 3 people in the pit or box. 2 handlers and the referee. The handlers needed to be able to handle the dogs when the ref called a turn so a dog could scratch (cross the line in the middle of the pit). Since the goal of the fight was to see which dog gave up first and would refuse to scratch the handler of the dog who was not supposed to scratch would hold his dog until the very last second. This could and did leave the dogs fighting in the same corner on top of the handler. Also important is that the injured winner needed to be cared for. Wounded with something very close to battlefield trauma the dog had to feel secure enough around its handlers not to fear/pain bite. If the handlers could not do emergency care the dog would die (they go into the fight dehydrated to minimize blood loss) and a dead dog can't breed. This breeding of the winners created a breed that is superbly motivated, very people friendly, with a very stable temperament and super ahtletic. Granted low bred or scatter bred pits are not subject to this standard but if you can get a pit from a long line of classic fighting stock you've got the words best baby sitter.

Information from Richard F Statton's books, I am not a dog fighter.
                      Thanks Z, Atleast I know there are others out there that can look beyond the media and the ******** that breed them to fight and greatly help them ern a real bad name as far as dogs go. Its all in the training and the love you give the animal.:)
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

[QUOTE=entropy;624680]The problem with pits and other "dangerous" dogs is that a lot of the dog keepers are Lumpen proletarians with barely enough competence to make a phone call.

In Belgium, usually the gabber subculture (nazi morons doing speed and XTC in schools) keeps them, and trains them to be agressive fighting dogs.

Result is: the dogs attack often, and they get a bad name.

When in reality there's nothing wrong with the dogs.

One should outlaw morons, not dogs.[/QUOTE]

Positively AGREED!:))
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          Thanks Z, Atleast I know there are others out there that can look beyond the media and the ******** that breed them to fight and greatly help them ern a real bad name as far as dogs go. Its all in the training and the love you give the animal.:)

I am not against dog fighting per se. The way it was done to create the breed is what gave it its abilities. Its not anymore cruel than any other use of a sporting or show dog. Most people who are aghast at pit fighting don't know that field dogs that don't point or retrieve are "planted" in the field ie shot to keep their genes out of the gene pool. Show dogs that don't match up to standards are drowned at birth. AKC breeders have a saying, "those who will not drown, should not breed". Old style dogmen provided humane care for their animals both pre and post fight, balanced diets, lots of exercise and a considerable investment in time and money. Dog breeding to standards is not cheap. In fact they are the forerunner of modern animal husbandry and line breeding techniques used for a wide variety of species today.

Pits like to fight, a game bred pit is naturally animal aggressive and human friendly. Just like men who are boxers and martial artist and beta fish its in their genes. It does not make them dangerous to man. What makes them dangerous is the type of fighting I am opposed too.

In the 1970's seeking to raise the public's anger to get contributions animal rights groups went after dog fighting with a vengeance. They created stories
                          that were horrific in nature. The side effect was functionally illiterate violent dispossessed street kids heard fighting dog and assumed attack dog. The same thing happened to Rotties and Dobermans. But those kids didn't want a 40lb weakling (most people don't know a real pit is a medium sized dog) so they bred for size and general aggression and lost the controls that had been bred into the dogs. The AKC/UKC did the same thing in reverse with the Amstaffs- breeding out aggression of any type. Then they starved, poisoned and mistreated the dogs creating killing machines. Ever wonder why most pitbull attacks happen in the areas most affected by poverty and crime- this is why. The dogs became substitute balls for the thugs.

The street fights are ruining the breed and endangering people and this type of fighting needs to be suppressed.

On a side note- In WWI an American GI picked up a stray pitbull puppy as he boarded a ship to Europe. That dog named Stubby became part of the unit saving lives by warning of a gas attack and capturing a German infiltrator. More importantly when the men went over the top, Stubby went with them looking for wounded GI's who he would then provide companionship for or go and retrieve medical help- all without training. He was wounded in combat and sent to a French hospital to recover. Nurses knitted him a blanket to which GI's began pinning their medals (Stubby's official medals were revoked as was his promotion when the Army learned he was a dog). He survived WWI, became a life time member of the YMCA and American legion and went to the White house 4 times. When he died of age and his wounds he was stuffed and put on display at the HQ for the American Red Cross and then the Smithsonian until his hide deteriorated.

Also in WWI, the Pitbull was chosen as the k9 rep for America in a patriotic poster.

According to Alfons Estelt of the American Temperament Test Society, Inc. temperament evaluations of American Pit Bull Terriers shows that this breed has a very high passing rate of 95%. The average passing rate for the other 121 breeds of dogs in the tests: 77%.

APBT Weela was the Ken-L Ration's Dog Hero of the Year and is credited with rescuing over 30 people.

Sorry I can get long winded on this subject. Once again I am not endorsing dog fighting, only refusing to condemn the people who created my dog.

Comment

Its like most other things zraver, Theres sportsmen dogfighting which wasn't that bad really. Then theres the nasty ugly dogfighting that is most common today sorta the same with cockfighting. In south america some of the aboveboard cockfights are pretty cool decent events. However when you drive it underground the in herently violent nature attracts some of the wrong sorts as well as the general nastiness that is associated with those that have a disregard for the law coming into it more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                              Its like most other things zraver, Theres sportsmen dogfighting which wasn't that bad really. Then theres the nasty ugly dogfighting that is most common today sorta the same with cockfighting. In south america some of the aboveboard cockfights are pretty cool decent events. However when you drive it underground the in herently violent nature attracts some of the wrong sorts as well as the general nastiness that is associated with those that have a disregard for the law coming into it more and more.
                              That about sums it up.

Comment

Wow, trying to justify dog-fighting. That is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X