Who has watched 'Watchmen' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has watched 'Watchmen' ?

Just went to see 'Watchmen'. I haven't read the graphic novel, so I had no preconcieved ideas apart from what I have seen in the media.

I LOVED it. Great story, great visuals, GREAT use of music (bastards didn't include '99 Luftballoons' on the soundtrack CD ). Loved the dark alternate reality & even loved the virtually caricatured representations of figures like Nixon - it all worked pretty well for me.

This will be one to re-watch on DVD methinks. It will bear repeated viewing.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Well I was blown away by the graphic novel back in the day.
    It will have to be pretty damn good to achieve even half of the effect of the book.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Just went to see 'Watchmen'. I haven't read the graphic novel, so I had no preconcieved ideas apart from what I have seen in the media.

I LOVED it. Great story, great visuals, GREAT use of music (bastards didn't include '99 Luftballoons' on the soundtrack CD ). Loved the dark alternate reality & even loved the virtually caricatured representations of figures like Nixon - it all worked pretty well for me.

This will be one to re-watch on DVD methinks. It will bear repeated viewing.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
      Will just have to go and watch it now :)

I enjoyed Twilight; I didn't read the novel. I think whenever people read the novel beforehand, they have too many expectations. I think its better to forge the novel all together and just enjoy the film THEN decide if it was good or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
        Will just have to go and watch it now :)

I enjoyed Twilight; I didn't read the novel. I think whenever people read the novel beforehand, they have too many expectations. I think its better to forge the novel all together and just enjoy the film THEN decide if it was good or not.

Agreed. A film can only ever capture part of a novel. A good film will capture the essence & mood. Reading afterward is a good idea.

No doubt this film has had to leave out a great deal, but it stands up in its own right, which is all you can really ask.

Enjoy.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Saw it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised - fair play to Zack Snyder, he's possibly the first director who adopted a literary work (LOTR was as well, I suppose) and made it for the hardcore fans, not the mass market.

Brilliantly realised, great acting (Ozymandias, Doc Manhattan and Rorschlach in particular), and most of all uncompromised (160 something minutes, excluding the Black freighter!).

Very solid film, it won't do well amongst casual goers, but all the better because of it.
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Was awesome, though i didn't like the change in technology. In the book electric everything was already available to everyone and there wasn't the whole oil is evil message that they shoehorned in. The end change actually worked though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Agreed. A film can only ever capture part of a novel. A good film will capture the essence & mood. Reading afterward is a good idea.

No doubt this film has had to leave out a great deal, but it stands up in its own right, which is all you can really ask.

Enjoy.
              I would disagree; I think in some cases the film version works out better than the written form.

I think the LOTR trilogy is a good example. Though the books are awesome, they are really too long for the average reader, and the movies did a real good job without sacrificing the story, unlike the Harry Potter written and film versions.

Of course, this is a rare occurrence
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

The movie was just o.k.
                The comicbook was awesome.

Wasn't expecting much but it turned out better than I expected.
                Took my wife with me and she was looking for a bang bang fights galore with alot of special effects like the average comicbook movie but she came out of the theater a little dissapointed.
                I told her this was not that kind of movie in which she retorted, "Then why did the show all those fight scenes in the trailers?"
                I didn't have a decent answer for her. :)

Alot was left out.
                All those little subtle things that made the novel so great for me was left on the cutting floor, probably due to time constraints but I wished they'd kept the little exchanges betwen the news vendor and the young kid at the news stand.
                All they have now is about 5 seconds of air time at the end.
                This was probably done because, as I knew before, there was no way they could've gotten into the 'Black Freight' storyline and that would've just killed the movie.

Dislikes:

As someone pointed out, Snyder injected too much subtle "oil is bad" and "environment needs to be saved" messages into the storyline and that was not needed.

The chick that played Slik Spectre ll was pure eyecandy but she couldn't act worth a damn..lol.

The Frontier characters had a slightly bigger role in the graphic novel and they should have been fleshed out in the film.
                It would have played a bigger impact in the final scene where Seymore reaches for Rorschach's journel when his boss let's him choose a filler for his magazine.

That entire scene on Mars sucked...LoL.

Minor irritants.

All in all a decent job of adoptation into the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                  I would disagree; I think in some cases the film version works out better than the written form.

I think the LOTR trilogy is a good example. Though the books are awesome, they are really too long for the average reader, and the movies did a real good job without sacrificing the story...
                  Blasphemer.
                  I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I will try to catch it. It looks different and I like different usually when it comes to movies.

Comment

Couldn't the good Doc have PANTS? Or at least something other than a male stripper's thong? Was so much camera time for the "li'l fella" really necessary?

Brett.

Comment

That's part of why it's rated 18... And he's something beyond human already, why would he wear pants anyway.

For me the best thing in this film is the selection of music.
                        夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                          Blasphemer.
                          Come on, admit it, you enjoyed the movies
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Must give this a look see when it appears, bit of a Marvel comics and all that stuff, fan

Comment

Never read the books or anything, but I liked this film. Sometimes it felt like it was trying too hard to give the dark/grainy/badass effect but it still pulled it off well. One gripe is that apart from Dr.Manhattan, the rest aren't really super heroes at all.....they just fight good.

Comment

Working...
                              X