The Armed Citizen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Armed Citizen...

I hope the NRA doesn't think I am stealing thier title for a successful column in thier magazine. I don't think its registered or TMd.

I wanted to start a thread where we could discuss personal experiences, opinions and other stories of armed citizens and all WABbers.

I would like to lean toward this being an informational thread as well for some that may not understand some folks desire to be armed.

We have discussed concealed carry before, so I would kick this off with an article on open carry, which is legal and has been in most states for a long time.

Packing in public: Gun owners tired of hiding their weapons embrace 'open carry'
    By Nicholas Riccardi, Los Angeles Times
    June 7, 2008

Quote:
    FOR THE RECORD:
    Gun laws: An article in Saturday's Section A about people who openly carry handguns said the practice was permissible in California only if the firearm was not loaded. In cities within the state, publicly displayed guns must not be loaded. In unincorporated areas, loaded guns can be carried openly unless a local ordinance prohibits it.

PROVO, UTAH -- For years, Kevin Jensen carried a pistol everywhere he went, tucked in a shoulder holster beneath his clothes.

In hot weather the holster was almost unbearable. Pressed against Jensen's skin, the firearm was heavy and uncomfortable. Hiding the weapon made him feel like a criminal.

Then one evening he stumbled across a site that urged gun owners to do something revolutionary: Carry your gun openly for the world to see as you go about your business.

In most states there's no law against that.

Jensen thought about it and decided to give it a try. A couple of days later, his gun was visible, hanging from a black holster strapped around his hip as he walked into a Costco. His heart raced as he ordered a Polish dog at the counter. No one called the police. No one stopped him.

Now Jensen carries his Glock 23 openly into his bank, restaurants and shopping centers. He wore the gun to a Ron Paul rally. He and his wife, Clachelle, drop off their 5-year-old daughter at elementary school with pistols hanging from their hip holsters, and have never received a complaint or a wary look.

Jensen said he tries not to flaunt his gun. "We don't want to show up and say, 'Hey, we're here, we're armed, get used to it,' " he said.

But he and others who publicly display their guns have a common purpose.

The Jensens are part of a fledgling movement to make a firearm as common an accessory as an iPod. Called "open carry" by its supporters, the movement has attracted grandparents, graduate students and lifelong gun enthusiasts like the Jensens.

"What we're trying to say is, 'Hey, we're normal people who carry guns,' " said Travis Deveraux, 36, of West Valley, a Salt Lake City suburb. Deveraux works for a credit card company and sometimes walks around town wearing a cowboy hat and packing a pistol in plain sight. "We want the public to understand it's not just cops who can carry guns."

Police acknowledge the practice is legal, but some say it makes their lives tougher.

Police Chief John Greiner recalled that last year in Ogden, Utah, a man was openly carrying a shotgun on the street. When officers pulled up to ask him about the gun, he started firing. Police killed the man.

Greiner tells the story as a lesson for gun owners. "We've changed over the last 200 years from the days of the wild, wild West," Greiner said. "Most people don't openly carry. . . . If [people] truly want to open carry, they ought to expect they'll be challenged more until people become comfortable with it."

Jensen and others argue that police shouldn't judge the gun, but rather the actions of the person carrying it. Jensen, 28, isn't opposed to attention, however. It's part of the reason he brought his gun out in the open.

"At first, [open carry] was a little novelty," he said. "Then I realized the chances of me educating someone are bigger than ever using it [the gun] in self-defense. If it's in my pants or under my shirt I'm probably not going to do anything with it."

As Clachelle pushed the shopping cart holding their two young children during a recent trip to Costco, her husband admired the new holster wrapped around her waist. "I like the look of that low-rise gun belt," he said.

The Jensens' pistols were snapped into holsters attached to black belts that hug their waists. Guns are a fact of life in their household. Their 5-year-old daughter, Sierra, has a child-sized .22 rifle she handles only in her parents' presence.

Clachelle is the daughter of a Central California police chief and began shooting when she was about Sierra's age. She would take her parents' gun when she went out and hide it in her purse because the firearm made her feel safer.

"I love 'em," Clachelle said. "I wouldn't ever be without them."

Kevin Jensen's first encounter with guns came when he was 11: His grandfather died and left him a 16-gauge shotgun. The gun stayed locked away but fascinated Jensen through his teen years. He convinced his older brother to take him shooting in the countryside near their home in a small town south of Salt Lake City.

"I immediately fell in love with it," said Jensen, a lean man with close-cropped hair and a precise gait that is a reminder of his five years in the Army Reserve. "I like things that go boom."

Jensen kept as many as 10 guns in the couple's 1930s-style bungalow in Santaquin, 21 miles southwest of Provo. In January 2005, he decided to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon, mainly for self-defense.

"I'm not going to hide in the corner of a school and mall and wait for the shooting to stop," he said.

When Jensen bought a Glock and the dealer threw in an external hip holster, he began researching the idea of carrying the gun in public and came upon OpenCarry.org.

Its website, run by two Virginia gun enthusiasts, claims 4,000 members nationwide. It summarizes the varying laws in each state that permit or forbid the practice. People everywhere have the right to prohibit weapons from their property, and firearms are often banned in government buildings such as courthouses.

According to an analysis by Legal Community Against Violence, a gun control group in San Francisco that tracks gun laws, at least eight states largely ban the practice, including Iowa and New Jersey. Those that allow it have different restrictions: In California, people can openly carry only unloaded guns.

Utah has no law prohibiting anyone from carrying a gun in public, as long as it is two steps from firing -- for example, the weapon may have a loaded clip but must be uncocked, with no bullets in the chamber. Those who obtain a concealed-weapons permit in Utah don't have that restriction. Also, youths under 18 can carry a gun openly with parental approval and a supervising adult in close proximity.

Most of the time people don't notice Jensen's gun. That's not uncommon, said John Pierce, a law student and computer consultant in Virginia who is a co-founder of OpenCarry.org.

"People are carrying pagers, BlackBerrys, cellphones," Pierce said. "They see a black lump on your belt and their eyes slide off."

Sometimes the reactions are comical. Bill White, a 24-year-old graduate student in ancient languages at the University of Colorado at Boulder, wears his Colt pistol out in the open when he goes to his local Starbucks. Earlier this month a tourist from California spotted him and snapped a photo on his cellphone.

"He said it would prove he was in the Wild West," White recalled.

But there are times when the response is more severe. Deveraux has been stopped several times by police, most memorably in December when he was walking around his neighborhood.

An officer pulled up and pointed his gun at Deveraux, warning he would shoot to kill. In the end, eight officers arrived, cuffed Deveraux and took his gun before Deveraux convinced them they had no legal reason to detain him.

Deveraux saw the incident as not giving ground on his rights. "I'm proud that happened," he said.

Cases like this are talked about during regular gatherings of those who favor open carry. At a Sweet Tomatoes restaurant in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy, more than 40 civilians with guns strapped to their hips took over a corner of the restaurant, eating pasta and boisterously sharing stories.

Hassles with law enforcement were a badge of honor for some.

Travis White, 19, who has ear and chin piercings, congratulated Brandon Trask, 21, on carrying openly for the first time that night. "Just wait until you get confronted by a cop," White said. "It'll make you feel brave."

Having pistols strapped around their waists made Shel Anderson, 67, and his wife, Kaye, 63, feel more secure. Longtime recreational shooters, they began to carry their pistols openly after a spate of home-invasion robberies in their neighborhood. The firearms can serve as a warning to predators, they said.

I decided I want to have as much of an advantage as I can have in this day and age," said Kaye Anderson, a retired schoolteacher.

Nearby, Scott Thompson picked over the remains of a salad, his Springfield Armory XD-35 sitting snugly in his hip holster.

The gangly graphics designer grew up in a home without guns and didn't think of owning one until he started dating a woman -- now his wife -- who lived in a rough neighborhood. One night last year, a youth had his head beaten in with a pipe outside her bedroom window. The next day, Thompson got a concealed-weapons permit.

Thompson found out about open carry last month while reading gun sites. He's become a convert. He likes the statement it makes.

Glancing around the restaurant, as armed families like the Jensens dined with men in cowboy hats and professionals like himself, Thompson smiled.

"I love this," he said. "I want people to be aware that crazy people are not the only ones with guns. Normal people carry them."

The Jensens' daughter, Sierra, and newborn son, Tyler, began to get restless, so the couple bundled up the children and pulled the manager of the restaurant aside to thank her for hosting them.

A patron appeared at Jensen's side and began to berate him. "What you guys are doing here is completely unacceptable," he said. "There are children here."

Jensen said that everyone in the restaurant had a legal right to carry. The man didn't back down and the Jensens left.

Days later, Jensen was still thinking about the reaction and the man's belief that guns are unsafe.

"People can feel that way and it doesn't bother me," he said. "If they have irrational fears, that's fine."
    _____

No Open Carry in Florida :(

Interesting - and probably typical - story where a citizen had to educate the police on the law.

An officer pulled up and pointed his gun at Deveraux, warning he would shoot to kill. In the end, eight officers arrived, cuffed Deveraux and took his gun before Deveraux convinced them they had no legal reason to detain him.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Carry this, in a transparent holder

Fear in others, Confidence in you.

--- also treats people who stutter

Or may be this is more scary

You know you want it

yes you do.

Just kidding here,

Most people i see freeze in fear when someone confronts them and threatens with violence, dont see a gun making a difference in that, i hope people around the world who buy weapons are made to undergo a compulsory safety training.
      Last edited by kuku; 04 Mar 09,, 12:20.

Comment

I'm all for open carry. Most larger cities have "brandishing laws" that outlaw it, so you have to carry concealed or not at all.

When I was a kid I used to take my 30-06 to school and put it in my locker (loaded clip but empty chamber). That way I could head straight for the woods after school without going home. People were used to seeing me walk around town with my rifle slung, and would usually stop and offer me a ride. No one gave it a second thought.

My dad signed a card at the Tackle Shop so I could buy ammo. I was 13 years old. This was completely normal; all my friends bought their own ammo, and the shop kept the card file behind the counter. When we went to the counter with our ammo they just looked in the file- if you had a card you were good to go.

Those were the good'ol days. :)
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

My Minnesota CCW permit allows me to open carry but I don't.

-dale

Comment

We can open carry in Virginia, but one sees few people doing so in my county where hunting and guns are revered. The manager of the local auto parts store carries. Known before as a gentle guy, he is now a little intimidating. But no one screws with him anymore.:))
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
              Carry this, in a transparent holder

Just kidding here,

Most people i see freeze in fear when someone confronts them and threatens with violence, dont see a gun making a difference in that, i hope people around the world who buy weapons are made to undergo a compulsory safety training.
              Actually carrying a knife will get you into more trouble than carrying a gun.

I believe carrying a gun without a permit (in California) is a misdemeanor, something that's punishable by a fine of less than $1000 and/or prison term of no more than 6 months. Carrying a large blade weapon is a felony, punishable by a fine of greater than $1000 and/or prison term of more than 6 months. Plus a convicted felon can not legally own a gun, ever.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

When I see someone carrying I just figure them to be some sort of plain clothes law enforcement officer.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                  When I was a kid I used to take my 30-06 to school and put it in my locker (loaded clip but empty chamber). That way I could head straight for the woods after school without going home.

Those were the good'ol days. :)
                  It was not odd to have that or to have a rifle in woodshop maybe refinishing the stock or something. Almost everyone had a rifle or shotgun or both hanging in the back window of the pickup. That was before the early 90s when everything seemed to go nuts. Further, this was in Riverton, Kansas. My old alma mater now notable as the school where some students were foiled planning a Columbine anniversary shooting in '06.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...oolplan21.html

I grew up with the parents of those kids, my great-grandfather was principal of that school in the 30s. My Father, mother, most of my grandparents, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, all went and graduated there. My family has lived in or near Riverton for over 100 years. I cannot even begin to explain or theorize any reasoning for such actions. This is the kind of things that don't happen here. Could it have anything to do with how America now seems to villanize guns? We where a close knit community. Everyone knew everyone. There where about 40 or 50 people in my graduating class in '85, now I think they average about 100. Still a small town with what is usually considered big city problems.

You're right Highsea, those were the good old days. I just can't understand how they ended.

Comment

I think it's the fear.

People fear what they don't understand. Most people in CA have never fired a gun. They see guns as dangerous and evil, as portrayed by nightly news of gang shootings and mass murders.

People don't have a healthy respect and understanding of guns. Guns are tools. Just like chainsaws and hammers and screwdrivers. Instead people here are taught that guns should be feared.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                      When I was a kid I used to take my 30-06 to school and put it in my locker (loaded clip but empty chamber).

Ok, Im not going to judge US gun laws here because you guys have your opinions and i have mine but when i was 13 there was no way in hell i should have been allowed within 500m of a loaded weapon unless there was an adult next to me. Thats not just me, i considered myself relatively mature for my age, i dont think that ANY 13 yold i knew should have been allowed near a loaded gun, just in the same way i think it would be dangerous for a 13yold to drive a car, fly a plane etc.

Theres one thing about having a kid use a gun around his/her parents but completelly another to take a loaded weapon into a situation where peer pressure, youth, testosterone and immaturity could cause them to do something stupid or even simply accidental. Its not a constitutional rights thing, its a safety and common sense thing.
                      The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        Interesting - and probably typical - story where a citizen had to educate the police on the law.
                        So typical its scary! As a former LEO, I know exactly what is legal and what is not. I have been pulled over several times for really stupid things, well really stupid IMO because once I asked the officer, what was your probable cause for stopping me and then, tell me specifically what law I was breaking? They could not answer, they sent me on my merry way. Here is what bothers me. As an former LEO, my friends and co-workers think I am a lawyer as well and are always asking legal questions about law in general and encounters with LE. A few I have advised them that should get an attorney and pursue legal action. I realized awhile back that the only reason I haven't had my rights violated (or gotten a ticket) is because I know what is legal and what is not.

Example: I live in a rural area. I wanted to run out to the range for awhile one summer day. I wanted to take my 1911 and my AR. I also wanted to ride my motorcycle since it was a nice day. Going out to the range I broke down my AR and put it in my saddle bag. Coming back I didn't want to go to the trouble of pulling it apart, so I slung it across my back and proceeded home. Halfway home I ride through a small rural area with a city Marshall who pulled me over and had (not exagerrating here) the county SWAT team enroute to the traffic stop. He has me take off the rifle and lay it down. I said, Bud this is a $2000 rifle I am not throwing it on the ground. I set it on the seat of the MC and stepped away. He then approached me and I asked what the deal was. I said, this seems to be escalating into a very big deal, let me ask you a question. Why did you stop me? He said arrogantly, because you have an assault rifle strapped across your back while riding a motorcycle. Well first, THIS is NOT an assault rifle. It is a legal, semi-automatic AR-15, and I am the legal owner, care to run the serial number? So I asked, Is that illegal? Well.....er....no, I guess not. OK then, I'll ask again, why did you stop me? He had the dumbest look on his face and quite red BTW, I had ever seen. WELL?! I said. He just stood there stuttering. I then advised him that I was former LEO, I know my rights and I know the law. Now would you like to call off the SWAT guys enroute before this gets on the evening news? He snapped, Yes sir I will, sorry for the "misunderstanding", have a nice day! MISUNDERSTANDING I thought. Hell, I understood the law just fine!

My advice to everyone would be to know your states laws inside and out, because many Police today do not. I was a very good, decorated cop. Why did I quit? The money absolutely sucked and I am not much of an ideologue.

Do you think you are going to get the best of the best for mediocre pay? No offense to any LEOs here on the WAB, but I think you know what I am saying. I find this holds especially true on small departments. There are many good cops out there but they are easily overshadowed by the over zealous or incompetent. And all it takes is one twitchy, scared, or ignorant LEO, unwarrantedly fearing a law-abiding armed citizen, to cause a very bad incident.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          I think it's the fear.

People fear what they don't understand. Most people in CA have never fired a gun. They see guns as dangerous and evil, as portrayed by nightly news of gang shootings and mass murders.

People don't have a healthy respect and understanding of guns. Guns are tools. Just like chainsaws and hammers and screwdrivers. Instead people here are taught that guns should be feared.
                          SPOT ON!!! MSM being the culprit here..

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            Guns are tools. Just like chainsaws and hammers and screwdrivers.
                            A bit farfetched in most cases. I doubt you'd want to drill a hole thru a plank with a 30-06, though it could be done. Have to admit, I've been tempted to blast a hole in a cinderblock wall with a shotgun slug rather than take the time to do it with chisel or a bit.

And some tools can be as nasty as a gun. For example, you can put a nail thru someone with a framing nailer...once in awhile one of our carpenters will offset the nailing head too close to the edge of the board and the nail goes zipping across the site. That's fun.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                              Theres one thing about having a kid use a gun around his/her parents but completelly another to take a loaded weapon into a situation where peer pressure, youth, testosterone and immaturity could cause them to do something stupid or even simply accidental. Its not a constitutional rights thing, its a safety and common sense thing.
                              With freedom comes responsibility. My daughter is grown and moved out now, but growing up I educated her in the same way my dad educated me about the great responsibility that comes with firearms. She had free access to the houshold firearms after about age 10 and we never had a single problem because we always communicated and educated. She was 5 when she shot her first .22 rifle and 8 when she shot her first revolver. At 10, she was a better shot than my wife and we spent valuable family time together at the range and hosts of other activities. As a family, we were around each other way more than we where around friends, and we enjoyed it. Family togetherness is important no matter what you are doing, do it together. Maybe that is part of the problem with these kids wanting to shoot up the school. Maybe all they want is thier parents to pay attention to them.

I would have never considered something like shooting up the school or anyone else as a teenager, or any age for that matter. Self-defense when you believe your life to be in danger is the only time I would ever advocate shooting someone(except for war, which should go without saying).

Comment

Working...
                              X