Your practical money-saving tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your practical money-saving tips

With the economic times as they are, have you found any ways to save money or cut expenses without having to crimp your lifestyle? Share your practical money-saving tips here.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Don't get married.

Comment

Sometimes I buy keystone light and Wolf ammo.

Oh! And i aired up my tires like the messiah said! Should be able to retire at 80 on that plan.

Comment

I have a couple vices... pack of cigarettes a day and Diet Dr. Pepper.

I've found that by purchasing my own filter tubes and bagged tobacco, I've cut expenses there from about $150/month to under $25/month.

Instead of buying a couple 20oz diet sodas or energy drinks a day, I simply refill my 20oz Diet Dr. Pepper bottles with Wal-Mart Diet Dr. Thunder. I reckon I'm saving about $75/month this way.

So, by use of substitutes, I cut $200/month while enjoying more or less the same level of utility as before.

Comment

I buy a lot of generic groceries at Aldi (kinda like walmart) and only buy brand name on luxury items. With meat ill buy in bulk, either a whole lamb or half a pic chopped up, with beef ill buy the whole cut as opposed to buying it by the kg pre-sliced.

I buy pepsi max as opposed to coke as the difference is 89c a bottle as opposed to $2.00

Cant do much on my smokes, im a dunhill man and will pay through the nose for it as well as my energy drinks, red bull all the way.
          The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

I absolutely have to have Coca Cola. Not Pepsi (puke). Not Royal Crown. Not Private Selection by Ralph's. I try to catch Coke on sale. If there's a sale of $1 for a 2L bottle or $1 for a 6-pack, I load up. Once I bought 26 bottles at one time because Sav-on put the 2L bottle on sale for $0.69.

If you think about it, a 2L bottle is 1.5 Super Big Gulps at 7-Eleven. Catch the 2L on sale and it's a pretty big savings.

I also don't buy cans of soda or bottles of water at retail prices. I buy in bulk and then take a few with me when I leave the house. Each can or bottle costs something like $0.75 in singles while less than $0.20 in bulk.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
              Cant do much on my smokes, im a dunhill man
              They're just Camels in a fancy box. :)

Comment

I buy groceries in bulk. Me and my wife take bagged lunches as often as not instead of the expensive fast food. We've started turning off more appliances when we leave to cut down on the power bill. We ditched the 20mpg minivan for a 30mpg Pontiac Vibe. Although that added a car payment, it came with a warranty, lo-jack, road side assistance and peace of mind. It was taking about $150 in gas a month. The Vibe cuts that down to $100

Comment

Stop drinking Starbucks Coffee from downstairs two years ago and learned to drink company's free coffee instead. I also cut off soda since I started working out. Those two items can easily add up.
                  “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Apparently performing a "mass-unplug" in your house will reduce power consumption by a decent percentage.

That means pretty much everything but your stove (too inaccessible), your refrigerator (you need it plugged in for some reason) and things like clocks.

But everything else not in constant use needs to be physically unplugged:

Portable electronic chargers (phone, iPod, Nintendo DS), that TV and crap in your spare bedroom, your washer and dryer, anything you can reach and don't need to always plugged in.

Got another fridge in your garage plugged in? Do you really need it?

Turn your air conditioning up or off whenever possible.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                      Stop drinking Starbucks Coffee from downstairs two years ago and learned to drink company's free coffee instead. I also cut off soda since I started working out. Those two items can easily add up.
                      I tried to quit soda by drinking free company coffee. Now I can't quit either.

I didn't drink much Starbucks even when times were good. Then I found out they donate to anti-gun causes...
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        I absolutely have to have Coca Cola. Not Pepsi (puke). Not Royal Crown. Not Private Selection by Ralph's. I try to catch Coke on sale. If there's a sale of $1 for a 2L bottle or $1 for a 6-pack, I load up. Once I bought 26 bottles at one time because Sav-on put the 2L bottle on sale for $0.69.

If you think about it, a 2L bottle is 1.5 Super Big Gulps at 7-Eleven. Catch the 2L on sale and it's a pretty big savings.

I also don't buy cans of soda or bottles of water at retail prices. I buy in bulk and then take a few with me when I leave the house. Each can or bottle costs something like $0.75 in singles while less than $0.20 in bulk.
                        I still hoard a box of coke zero in the cans for work although my wife doesnt know about it as she believes they 'all taste the same'

In my house the penalties for being found in possession of the more expensive product is about the same as some Asian countries give for the possession of another type of coke entirelly

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                          Thats Dunhill International, Dunhill is much better.
                          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            Dude i dont know what garbage they repackage as Dunhill in the States but here in civilization Dunhill does NOT taste like Camel

Mind you when your paying between $7 and $10US a pack on smokes you would hope your at least getting quality product. (pack of Dunhill blues costs me about $13.50AU)

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                              Dude i dont know what garbage they repackage as Dunhill in the States but here in civilization Dunhill does NOT taste like Camel

Mind you when your paying between $7 and $10US a pack on smokes you would hope your at least getting quality product. (pack of Dunhill blues costs me about $13.50AU)
                              It costs less than equiv. of 3 USD here and my pack reads "For Sale in Afghanistan Only"
                              When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X