No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am loyal fan of Battlestar and have been watching even as its fundementals have been detoriating. I really liked the energy put in the making this show, espacially the vancouver-based Canadian-made special effects, along with the sets, actors and nice models, ... but with the way story is being going lately, ... xerxes has been most displeased.

They turned COLONEL TIGH into cylon. WTF!!!

I am really just watching it out of loyality. I use to think that Sci-fi shows need to be more serious, but after watching some very depressing episodes on battlestar, I think older sci-fi shows had the right mix of humour in it.
    Last edited by xerxes; 02 Mar 09,, 02:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      I think the new series has had its ups and downs. I think it started off strong for a couple seasons, but the time when they were on New Caprica under Cylon occupation smacked of moral relativism, which I didn't care for. There have been several deus ex machinas I didn't care for either. So far I think the last season has been strongly anti-climactic, though there have been bright spots in between.

Bright spots, sure but they were too few and far in-between.

I keep thinking of the ...ummm..less than wholesome chick I went out with in high school. Always teasing and a few bright spots but never really delievering the goods (lol..umm ok..forget I said that).

Agree completely with the New Caprica angle. The suicide bomber made me really roll my eyes.

Only 3 episodes to go. They're still creating sub-plots when they should be tying up loose ends to the story.

Very dissapointing. The only reason why I watch is to make myself believe that following this series for 4 years hasn't been a complete waste.

There is no way I'm even going to even start watching the "Caprica" series if RDM is involved.

Sorry for venting..LoL
      Last edited by YellowFever; 02 Mar 09,, 23:56. Reason: PP spelling and typos

Comment

I watched the first two seasons of the new BSG. The rescue from New Caprica was a great episode, but after that, the series starting going downhill rapidly when they got into the religion/final five cylons crap. Haven't watched it much since then.

A BSG movie that ignores the new series and goes back to the roots of the old series would be great, but I don't see it happening.

Comment

Let's see, no particular reason why I stopped watching the current example, just that one thing led to another and final one, while minor on its own, was the final straw.

Start off with Adama removing civilian leadership, finding out he can't do without it, reactivating it, and everything was like it was before. Now in most situations, if you do that to people, they will never trust you again......but not so there.

Next, the trial of Baltar was too drawn out, too not sci fi, too bloody dam* boring! I want rocket ships, not watching an alien culture's version of judis precedance. Further, it destroyed items that it could not afford to lose, such as Lee thinking he didn't need to be a pilot anymore and could be a lawyer instead. Wasn't he an officer, wasn't he once a commander of a battlestar? How he could he possibly think that he had the privlidge to hang up his helmet when so many in the fleet depended on him for their lives?

Finally, I got tired of being yanked around by the sci-fi channel. First of all, sci fi was doing the same thing that FOX did. Give you some of it .......... and then make you wait forever for more of it. But the final straw was when sci fi would show it on one night, then show an encore the next night. I came to depend on that encore, but in the final episode for that season, where Starbuck comes back from the dead, where Lee decides to get back in the cockpit, they don't show it without a word of warning. I missed it, had to look it up on the net.

That was it; I didn't care anymore. I never bothered to watch a new episode after that and I really don't watch the sci-fi channel anymore, either.

About this version? Well, I know Marian Jensen's acting was less than desirable, but I still prefer her as Athena. That's rather what I grew up on. Szilvia Naray looks like Sarah Rush (Flt. Cpl. Rigel).....and someone who has not been thru the stress to age. Other than that, I think my main objection to it would be that the flight sequences are too much Star Wars and not what they were in the late 70's. There's also somewhat an uncomfortable feeling of Starship Troopers, but that just may be contamination of lots of sci fi productions after a show of about 30 years ago. That is, as time goes on, one sees other things and there are just so many ways to present something before something becomes a reflection of another.

Good point? Richard Lynch always makes an excellent villian.

On other things: about Battlestar Galactica and Galactia:1980. As I read the various reports, it comes down to that the former was too expensive to do despite the ratings. The latter was the answer to hold on to the ratings with something that cost less. But the viewing rules for the time slot it was in required it to be a children or family show (or was it educational), so they needed children in it. No budget, previous cast unavailable, rushed production, and unfavorable rules for the series. Small wonder it ended up being the joke of the galaxy.

Oh, it had its good points....few and far between. As I said, Richard Lynch always makes an excellent villian and Jeremy Brent as Captain Nash in "Spaceball" was excellent as well. Trying to appreciate an entire show past the opener could be painful; appreciating parts of it, though, is possible. And I say this realizing that "The Return of Starbuck" was popular because to me, the same thing applies. It had its good points, but trying to take that entire episode as good just isn't possible.

For me, from the original series, the best one was "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero", sort of a combo of the dirty dozen, the guns of navarone, and where eagles dare. Viewing it with the modern eye might be painful given how production procedures have changed, but it is essentially good. Croft makes a good ex warrior and Thane is quite psychotic.......or is he? Croft is one of those characters who you hope will show up again but never does (except in the book "Apollo's War"). Given his characteristics, I would not be surprised to find if Richard Hatch took something of him to form his modern character of Tom Zarek.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            I think the new series has had its ups and downs. I think it started off strong for a couple seasons, but the time when they were on New Caprica under Cylon occupation smacked of moral relativism, which I didn't care for. There have been several deus ex machinas I didn't care for either. So far I think the last season has been strongly anti-climactic, though there have been bright spots in between.
            And you are due several more with the episodes left to explain where they are coming from. I kinda think we know how it will end.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
              I doubt it will happen. The old BSG was themed on romance and victory. The new one is themed on filth and surrender. Filth and surrender are big pulls these days.

-dale
              Couldn't have said it better myself.

I loved the old serious where people banded together to survive. Sure it was campy. But it also offered hope over fear, trust over deceit. The good guys won in the end.

The new show doesn't have any good guys. I hope they all perish.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Cassiopeia and Sheeba I still like the older version. Cylons looked like Cylons not humans.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  Cassiopeia and Sheeba I still like the older version. Cylons looked like Cylons not humans.
                  Sci fi fantasies?

Boy wise, it was Croft, Tigh, Omega......and Thane. Girl wise, it was Athena, Rigel........and Aurora.

Tigh was interesting thru out the show. At many points, he was a tough Colonel that one didn't want to mess with....but there were moments when you wondered how he ever got that high.

Trivia question: BSG was a Bellasario production as was Airwolf and Baa Baa Black Sheep. Many of the actors that flew in one often flew in another. Ie, Larry Manetti of Magnum fame was Giles in BSG and Boyle in BBBS. Or Barry Van ****(WE JUST HAVE to something about this censoring software when one can't mention the name the family that stars in "Diagnosis Murder") was Dillon in "BSG:80" and St. John in Airwolf II.

But one actor flew them all. Who was it?
                  Last edited by SnowLeopard; 03 Mar 09,, 09:10.

Comment

James Whitmore Jr.?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                      James Whitmore Jr.?

-dale
                      Errrr, no. Remember, the question is about an actor that has flown them all. Whitmore, Jr. was in "Sweet Britches" in Airwolf......but he didn't fly Airwolf. And he wasn't in it either in "Daddy's Gone A Hunt'n".

Comment

Or Barry Van ****(WE JUST HAVE to something about this censoring software when one can't mention the name the family that stars in "Diagnosis Murder")
                        Try "lesbian", we'll get it..

Comment

It was the old guy that co-piloted Airwolf... I pause to google... Peter McKernan??

Comment

Originally posted by pate View Post
                            It was the old guy that co-piloted Airwolf... I pause to google... Peter McKernan??
                            I thought that was Ernest Borgnine.

Comment

I have never seen the original Battlestar Galactica and only began watching the current incarnation about a year ago after having seen most of the last two seasons in a BSG marathon.

I will say that I like the current series because of how he characters must come to grips with the moral compromises and incomplete or unfulfilled expectations they produce. They also struggle with the consequences of those results long afterwards. In questions of survival, morality unfortunately is relegated to second place.

The Cyclons exalted themselves as the epitome of morality because of their mechanistic and absolute approach to existence- a legacy of their automated origins perhaps. Now the Cylons must come to grips with the fact that they are not perfection, that they too are flawed and now must come to grips with the fact that they may be no better than the humans. Indeed, they may even be somehow related to them

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                                Try "lesbian", we'll get it..
                                Trivia question: BSG was a Bellasario production as was Airwolf and Baa Baa Black Sheep. Many of the actors that flew in one often flew in another. Ie, Larry Manetti of Magnum fame was Giles in BSG and Boyle in BBBS. Or Barry Van ****(WE JUST HAVE to something about this censoring software when one can't mention the name the family that stars in "Diagnosis Murder") was Dillon in "BSG:80" and St. John in Airwolf II.

Hows about D-Y-K-E- Van Dick?:));)
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X