Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Scraps Leases for Oil-Shale Development

The Washington Post.
    SALT LAKE CITY -- In his second reversal of a Bush administration decision, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said Wednesday that he is scrapping leases for oil-shale development on federal land in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming.

Salazar rescinded a lease offer made last month for research, development and demonstration projects that could have led to oil-shale exploration on 1.9 million acres in the three states.

It was the second time Salazar has reversed the Bush administration. He also halted the leasing of oil and gas drilling parcels near national parks in Utah this month.
    I disagree with the President's approach in terms of domestic energy production. He places more emphasis on more "green" energies, while I place more emphasis on energies that dominate (and will continue to dominate) the world consumption.

I have always advocated increasing domestic energy production with serious research efforts towards green energy. I'm not an arrogant partisan; I know that oil and natural gas will eventually not be feasible, and I want my country to be able to make a relatively painless transition when the time is right.

However, the time is not right. There is a place and time for green technology and fossil fuels. I believe Obama has prematurely abandoned the latter, when the former is not ready for full-scale implementation.
    sigpic

Where were they getting the water from? Doesn't it take a tremendous amount? Given the water situation in the west it seems like a good call to hold on this. 1-3 barrels of water seems a poor trade for a barrel of oil at this time.
    Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
    ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
      Where were they getting the water from? Doesn't it take a tremendous amount? Given the water situation in the west it seems like a good call to hold on this. 1-3 barrels of water seems a poor trade for a barrel of oil at this time.
      A reasonable concern. However, the oil-shale has a high-water content, I've read varying estimates from 40-20 gallons per ton of shale. That water can be used during extraction for further operations.
      sigpic

Comment

NASCAR and OBAMANOMICS

Sort of like the NASCAR drivers (Us) being forced to put on restrictor plates (legislation) on the vehicles to make it fair (equal opportunity.) Next they will be required to hold he brake pedal half way down (taxes) while holding the gas pedal (stimulus package) to the floor...
        J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracide View Post
          The Washington Post.

I disagree with the President's approach in terms of domestic energy production. He places more emphasis on more "green" energies, while I place more emphasis on energies that dominate (and will continue to dominate) the world consumption.

I have always advocated increasing domestic energy production with serious research efforts towards green energy. I'm not an arrogant partisan; I know that oil and natural gas will eventually not be feasible, and I want my country to be able to make a relatively painless transition when the time is right.

However, the time is not right. There is a place and time for green technology and fossil fuels. I believe Obama has prematurely abandoned the latter, when the former is not ready for full-scale implementation.
          How many of todays cars and truck run on alternative energy?

How long does it now take to charge and electric car?

Was it the Lithium batteries that are touted as the solution that are blowing up and are restricted on airplanes?

How far will this electric car take me on a full charge?

Where is the largest source of Lithium these days?
          J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by JOgershok View Post

Was it the Lithium batteries that are touted as the solution that are blowing up and are restricted on airplanes?

At what point are was willing to inconvenience ourselves to stop financing islamo fascists? In the long term aren't green renewables better for our national security and if so don't we have to make a decision to prioritize them? If not now when?
            Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
            ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Hooked on phonics...

At what point are was willing to inconvenience ourselves to stop financing islamo fascists? In the long term aren't green renewables better for our national security and if so don't we have to make a decision to prioritize them? If not now when?
              Since my post:
              Originally Posted by JOgershok

was in response to this post:
              Originally Posted by Tetracide
              The Washington Post.

you missed this boat at the dock. Did you step into the water too?

FYI: WE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THESE ISLAMOFACISTS IF WE DRILL IT, PUMP IT, AND REFINE IT IN THE USA. Jobs for Americans too. Now that is a true stimulus package. Alternatives must be viable.

As with the Clintons, Obama so earnestly believes in public school education that he sends his girls to ... an expensive private school. He demands that taxpayers support the very public schoolteachers he won't trust with his own children.

It is one thing to tell voters that school choice is wrong, because, you know, the public schools won't get better unless Americans sacrifice their children to the teachers' union's maw. But it is quite another for Democrats to feed their own kids to the union incinerator.
              Ann Coulter 02/25/2009
              J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Oil shale is in the upper midwest. Last I checked, there's plenty of water up there.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Does this water cease to exist in this model? 5 barrels of water for one barrel of water is a good trade.
                  J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                  X