USS Constitution back in action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Constitution back in action?

So, with all the threads on here about bringing back the battleships, I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to bring the USS Constitution back into a combat role. While some may scoff at the idea, I think we would be foolish to ignore all the capabilities it brings to the table:

First and foremost, her unlimited range would allow her to cruise with the Nimitz class carriers with no need to worry about refueling. She can remain on station and provide support to a carrier for as long as is necessary.

She is one of a handful of active ships in the US Navy that have actually engaged and sunk another ship in surface combat. She carries proven weapons systems which, though not technically state of the art, are very effective when used in the proper setting.

She carries a battery of 44 guns, made up of 24 pounders and 32 pounders. Both of these types have a bore larger than the pitiful 5 inchers carried by the so-called "modern" surface combatants, which only manage to carry one or two guns. It is entirely possible that we may be able to design guided munitions to improve the accuracy of the guns, or perhaps rocket assisted rounds to extend their range.

If that massive battery is still not enough, I see no reason not to install a VLS in the center of the ship, between the foremast and the mainmast. Though there might be some issues with the sails catching fire on launch, I think with modern sail materials, we can work past this issue.

Granted, she isnt exactly stealthy, but her total lack of engines or radar systems makes her totally immune to heatseaking or anti-radiation missiles. Perhaps some stealth sails can be developed to make her even harder to get a lock on?

Overall, I think it would require a fair amount of work, but I think we are doing ourselves a disservice by not giving Old Ironsides a chance to prove that she is still a viable fighting ship in the 21st century.
    Last edited by eocoolj; 13 Feb 09,, 16:49.

:)) :)) :))

Like the Great Mr MacEnroe used to say "You Cannot Be Serious!"

But still made my day. I actually laughed aloud at work.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Rolling on the Floor. Great post.

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj
        Though there might be some issues with the sails catching fire on launch,
        :)) Classic!
        HD Ready?

Comment

Hmm, wasnt the Constitution Rusty's first posting??? :))
          The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
            Hmm, wasnt the Constitution Rusty's first posting??? :))
            :))
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Fear not any missle but do fear the "match":))

Comment

Funny. Incorrect, as battleship supporters on the whole realize that the Iowas are 60 year old ships, and that a new battleship class would be preferable if the Navy needs one, but still very funny. :))

Comment

She can chase Somali pirates.
                  Last edited by DocHayes; 13 Feb 09,, 21:10.

Comment

She has proven her worth chasing down pirates. However, without her, how are we Bostonians going to be able to properly celebrate the Fourth of July!?!?!?

You can't have her!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Would like to see her do a world tour now that would be really cool.:)

Comment

You know, I'd be happy to chuckle at the joke if one thing weren't nagging at my mind...

The Constitution is a heavy frigate, not a battleship. You put this in the wrong forum. :P

Comment

ROFL!

Perhaps we could make the sails out of Nomex to prevent the inevitable?
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by GC13 View Post
                            You know, I'd be happy to chuckle at the joke if one thing weren't nagging at my mind...

The Constitution is a heavy frigate, not a battleship. You put this in the wrong forum. :P

Amazing how when the media photographs a warship they're all "battleships" I agree though very annoying in terms.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHayes View Post
                              She can chase Somali pirates.
                              lol that would put the fear of god into them! and if they dont stop give them a broadside!
                              incoming fire has the right of way

Comment

Working...
                              X