Is It Time To Impose Term Limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Time To Impose Term Limits?

Quotation by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Far too many legislators have gone to Washington and get reelected because of their seniority. They tell the voters, "I must be returned to bring home the pork!" Raiding the piggy bank is NOT their function.
    Yes
    28.00%
    No
    24.00%
    Undecided
    12.00%
    It would require a constitutional amendment and the fox to give up guarding the hen house.
    36.00%
    J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

I think that could be the single biggest reform there could be in Washington. Another one that would have similar results would be a maximum age. There is no reason for Robert Byrd to still be a Senator @ over 90 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by BWFalcon View Post
      I think that could be the single biggest reform there could be in Washington. Another one that would have similar results would be a maximum age. There is no reason for Robert Byrd to still be a Senator @ over 90 years old.
      Kennedy kills me err that was someone else but he gets re-elected.

Have the voters no conscience? Guess not. They returned John Murtha too.
      J. J. Ogershok, Jr.

Comment

JOger,

i imagine pork is more the province of representatives- they are supposed to represent the interests of their particular state, after all.

but senators are also supposed to keep the nation as a whole in mind, so they would fit more with a 1 or 2 term limit.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

On Congress definately!:)

Dam shame we were robbed as a nation of the best the Kennedy's family had to offer and got stuck with Ted.

IMO, Reid,Pelosi and Boxer should be gone as well. Corn Flakes!
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 11 Feb 09,, 18:14.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Term limits would solve some problems, but create others.

If you think congress types look out of their own interest now, just wait till you see some of them in their last term when they know they will not be standing for re-election.

Comment

Of course it's time. It's past time. Way past time. Gimme a break.

Comment

IMO, limiting terms could have a positive effect in that it would get fresh blood in every so often. But it could also have the effect of giving Lobbyist and Consultants even more influence than they already have.

Comment

What about imposing decapitation as a punishment for corrupt behavior. That would both remove the problem of excess influence and solve the term limits question at the same time.

Comment

that hasn't worked so well in china.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Who gets to decide what is corruption and what is not? If I take home a government pen, and use it for personal business, will I lose my head?

Comment

Didn't I hear some in the democrat ciricle want to remove term limit for president so Obama can stay in office forever? Or was that so Billy can run for a 3rd term?
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gunnut,

Didn't I hear some in the democrat ciricle want to remove term limit for president so Obama can stay in office forever? Or was that so Billy can run for a 3rd term?
                          right on both counts, rep serrano (D-NY) brought it up both in 2003 and 2009. however, there was a bi-partisan attempt to repeal it as well back in 2003, and republicans tried to do this with back in the 80s to keep reagan onboard.

Comment

John Warner
                            Claiborne Pell
                            Pete Domenici
                            Henry Cabot Lodge
                            John Chaffee

Term Limits would have done in these great statesmen
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              John Warner
                              Claiborne Pell
                              Pete Domenici
                              Henry Cabot Lodge
                              John Chaffee

Term Limits would have done in these great statesmen
                              Not to mention Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and John C. Calhoun-going back to the 19th century. Plus the SC has struck down federal term limits as unconstitutional: http://www.oyez.org/cases/1990-1999/...logy/#opinions So either the court will have to reverse itself (unlikely) or there will have to be an amendment to the Constitution (also unlikely) in order for term limits to become a reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X