X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't hate us: UK ad campaign to target extremism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...ising-campaign

Please don't hate us: UK ad campaign to target extremism

Prominent British Muslims are being recruited to star in a government-backed advertising campaign aimed at preventing people in Pakistan from engaging in extremist activity, the Guardian has learned.
    Basically british is going to beg Pakistanis not to attack it
    The three-month public relations offensive, called I Am the West,
    It means attacking non-west, i.e. India and possibly russia is fair game

It consists of television commercials and high-profile events in regions such as Peshawar and Mirpur. It is being funded by the Foreign Office which is paying up to £400,000 for a pilot project.
    So this means they have enough intelligence of where the next attack is going to come from and is a refresher course of British role in middle east and in creating pakistan
    Starring in the first three adverts are Sadiq Khan, the communities minister, Jehangir Malik, the UK manager of Islamic Relief, English cricketer Moeen Ali and the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Chaudry Abdul Rashid, who is from Mirpur. Mirpuris represent around 70% of Britain's Pakistani population.
    and the stars of the show are ......
    According to a project synopsis, the target audience is 15-25-year-old males who are "less than well-educated and worldly wise, but potentially susceptible to extremist doctrines". If successful, it will be implemented in Egypt, Yemen and Indonesia.
    Why do you need all the big afghanistan campaign, the security at airport:))

The original proposal to the Foreign Office came from Deen International, an organisation set up specifically for the project and headed by Khurshid Ahmed, chair of the British Muslim Forum.

Last night Ahmed told the Guardian that the idea arose from the attempted terrorist attacks on Glasgow airport. "I did a number of visits to Pakistan to look at attitudes. Levels of hostility were increasing and there was lots of misunderstanding about how the situation was being described in the media out there."
    Wow! What an idea sirjee, if only the taliban could be swayed by 30 sec commercials on non-descript channels. Next time, we will see if the appeal will make Osama to get himself arrested

The pilot involves nine 30-second television commercials, supported by radio commercials, scheduled across a number of channels, including PTV, Geo TV and Khyber, which is specific to the Peshwari area. They are due to appear on Pakistani TV screens next Monday.

The central theme of I Am the West is to assert that there is no contradiction in being a Muslim and being British. The synopsis says: "Muslims are equally proud of being both and certainly espouse the belief that violent extremism is not propagated in their name."
    Yes, the london bombers were soooo proud
    The campaign has four key aims: to ensure Pakistanis realise the west is not "anti-Islamic", that British society is not "anti-Islam", to demonstrate the extent to which Muslims are integrated into British society and to stimulate and facilitate "constructive debate" on the compatibility of liberal and Muslim values
    no Komments

Basically an attempt by british to differentiate between good taliban(those who attack India) and bad taliban (those who attack west) - any body remember the iraq campaigns?. Milibands visit when viewed from this angle starts to make sense.
    Last edited by ravi_ku; 10 Feb 09,, 20:49.

Well now we can all sleep safely knowing that no-one is going to try and attack us;)

Also, do people in India really think that we want people to attack their country and that we think that is all right? Are people really that stupid? (Just asking because of the comments on the article and other whining against our country and Miliband's comments, I am not going to go into my views on the topic as I am sure some people would find them offensive).
    Nulli Secundus
    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Capstar View Post
      Well now we can all sleep safely knowing that no-one is going to try and attack us;)

Also, do people in India really think that we want people to attack their country and that we think that is all right? Are people really that stupid? (Just asking because of the comments on the article and other whining against our country and Miliband's comments, I am not going to go into my views on the topic as I am sure some people would find them offensive).
      Lets just say that where terrorism starts and ends for us is different from where terrorism starts and ends for Britain. ;) Else I dont think Miliband could have said what he said, i.e. basically s*ck up.
      Anything more, the mods who are deleting the indo-pak threads will come with brick bats

Comment

Actually the govt of the UK has been remarkably callous in who they let in. The UK has at various times been a hotbed for the LTTE, the khalistanis, the chechens and now Pak based terror groups. They may not actually want an attack but they've done precious little to stop the growth, recruitment, fund-collection of such groups. If anything that recent news about the US stepping up intel collection on such groups in the UK shows that India is not alone in her concerns about the British resolve or desire to take on such groups.

You never hear such things about say the US or France. Perhaps it is time for the UK to introspect.
        "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Offend away, Ravi Ku doesn't seem to mind. He has his views, you have yours. Free speech and all that.:)

Comment

Originally posted by ravi_ku View Post
            Basically an attempt by british to differentiate between good taliban(those who attack India) and bad taliban (those who attack west)
            Flamebaiting? No thanks.

Locked.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
            X