No announcement yet.

Greatest warrior of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh i have only found storys of him in very old books at the ancient library Sydney.
    Not a lot of information of him at all but these storys are superb to read. There is 3 pages on him in a 15 pg book with the old paper from the 18 hundreds or older

Comment

i dont have any idea who he is either, i was just trying to be supportive
      Remember, the enemy gate is down- Andrew ¨Ender¨ Wiggin

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Praxus, i'm sure his exploits were exagerated.

But i'm sure Horatius were too.
        Of course, never denyed it:)

But at least what Horatius did was within the realm of possibility. If the bridge was narrow enough, he could have blocked it to allow only one person at a time through and then just use his pike to stab them until they stop coming(keep in mind they are stilling using Greek Phalanx at this time) :)
        Last edited by Praxus; 12 Mar 05,, 19:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus

But at least what Horatius did was within the realm of possibility. :)

isnt everything in the realm of possibility?

I mean, Achilles could have killed thousand of men in the Trojan War, he could have just shot them with aros from a fortified hill, or he could have surprised medium-sized groups one by one. And he could have captured many towns, who is to say, that these twon were not minute ones,a nd that had barely any guards if any at all.

Comment

Achilles legend was such that the mere appearance of his armored form was rumored to send hardened warriors into panic and retreat.

Afterall, who wants to fight 'the son of a God'?

lol, not me. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Locke
              isnt everything in the realm of possibility?

I mean, Achilles could have killed thousand of men in the Trojan War, he could have just shot them with aros from a fortified hill, or he could have surprised medium-sized groups one by one. And he could have captured many towns, who is to say, that these twon were not minute ones,a nd that had barely any guards if any at all.
              Achilles is part of Greek mythology, it was not meant to be true (but he may have been based off of a real person). The person I mentioned is a person in early Roman Republican history.

Comment

Achilles was almost certainly a real man, his exploits were documented by numerous historians of the day, Homer is just the most famous of the lot to write about him.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  Achilles was almost certainly a real man, his exploits were documented by numerous historians of the day, Homer is just the most famous of the lot to write about him.
                  Herodotus doesn't mention him, neither does Thucyidides. Which historians are you refering to?

Homer wasn't a historian he was a poet who included some truth into his poetry.

Comment

Praxus, if you do not mind my interruption, i do not know much about Ancient Roman History, could you tell me which "historians of the day" mentioned Horatius?

Comment

There are several historians who wrote about it, most notable is Titus Livy. I read it in a book called "The Early History of Rome" which is the first five books of Livy's history of Rome. You can find the passage on the internet: Book 2, Section 10.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...yout=&loc=2.10
                      Last edited by Praxus; 13 Mar 05,, 02:01.

Comment

Well Praxus, if you had been reading your own link, you have oticed, that he did not fight all of them, all he did was distract them for a while, while his two companions and other civilians were destroying the bridge, so the army couldnt get in. He just got lucky, and could escape to safety by swimming the river back to Rome.

Here is another link proving so:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...us_Cocles.html

Comment

Here is another one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatius_Cocles

youll also see in this link that there is a debtae between historians as to wether he died while swimming back (wich seems pretty pathetic after driving back an army ) or if he survived.

It also says that Horatius was part of Roman Mythology (hmmmmmmmmm............sounds like your statement on Achilles' credibility).
                          Last edited by Jonathan Locke; 13 Mar 05,, 03:00.

Comment

Heros survive on luck...
                            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

It takes more than just luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Locke
                                Well Praxus, if you had been reading your own link, you have oticed, that he did not fight all of them, all he did was distract them for a while, while his two companions and other civilians were destroying the bridge, so the army couldnt get in. He just got lucky, and could escape to safety by swimming the river back to Rome.

Here is another link proving so:

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...us_Cocles.html
                                I never said he fought all of them .

Please do the following: Stop ********ing me and learn how to spell!

It also says that Horatius was part of Roman Mythology (hmmmmmmmmm............sounds like your statement on Achilles' credibility).
                                Yes and I said it is part of Roman legend. Reread my posts please. Also learn to spell.
                                Last edited by Praxus; 13 Mar 05,, 03:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X