Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Q Khan Freed

Hey there guys,

Just some breaking news coming in, so I thought I should post it here and get your views...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2ba1c314-f...0779fd2ac.html

Seemingly the chap has been released by the Islamabad Court and allowed to move freely across Pakistan.

Abdul Qadeer Khan, Pakistan’s best known nuclear scientist, was released from effective house arrest on Friday, five years after being placed in detention for his alleged role in sharing nuclear know-how and technology with Iran, Libya and North Korea.

In a brief order passed by Sardar Muhammad Aslam, chief justice of the Islamabad High Court, Mr Khan, a metallurgical engineer and the father of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons programme, was declared to be a free citizen, allowed to move across the country.

Government officials said the court had urged him to inform the government in advance of any domestic travel, given the sensitivity surrounding his activities. It was not immediately clear if Mr Khan would be allowed to travel freely outside the country.

In his first comments to journalists waiting outside his house in the upper class E-7 district of Islamabad, Mr Khan said he was looking forward to devoting his time to philanthropic work in education.

He refused to respond to questions about the allegations of proliferating nuclear equipment and know-how that have been made against him, or the circumstances in which he made what appeared to be a humiliating apology on national TV in 2004.

“What is done is done. There is no use complaining about the past,” he said. “Even president Asif Zardari (Pakistan’s head of state) was detained for eight years. Has he made an issue out of it? I want to move on”.

Mr Khan joined the Pakistan nuclear programme from the Netherlands, where he was working as a metallurgist, when it was set up in response to a nuclear test by India in 1974.

His pioneering work eventually enabled the country to conduct its maiden nuclear tests in 1998, just three weeks after India carried out a second series of nuclear tests.

Shahidur Rehman, the author of an authoritative book on Pakistan’s nuclear program me said the legal basis of the charges against Mr Khan was always very weak.

“How do you punish a man based on what seemed like hearsay,” he said. Pakistani government officials have said in the past they had gathered detailed evidence of Mr Khan’s activities, including evidence that was too sensitive to be presented in a courtroom.

However, Mr Khan’s public position strengthened in the wake of his house arrest, with many Pakistanis believing that he had been was framed.

“The Americans, Israel and India all opposed Abdul Qadeer Khan because he gave us our first Islamic nuclear bomb” said Javed Nazir, an Islamabad taxi driver. In parts of Islamabad, Mr Khan’s supporters distributed traditional south Asian dessert known as ‘mithai’ to celebrate his legal victory.
    So, tell me guys... what do you think are the implications of this release ???

Does this mean that the US is slowly beginning to lose its control over what Pakistan does ??? And, what are the possible implications on the war on terror ???

you reap what you sow. I remember reading late 90's that Indian officials were warning US state dept folks about the rising threat of terrorism in pakistan and we all know what happened.

but all this molly coddling will certainly make its impact felt in a few years in Europe and N america. We indians are just in the way of the terrorist scums. They try practice runs in our cities and then run their main ops in yours.

Comment

Rendition time.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

As long as honest Abdul doesn't open another store its fine, the damage is done, many other people and nations must have been responsible for what happened, so how can anyone judge him on that.

The part about evidence so sensitive that the court can not see it was interesting. (Its radioactive).
        “The Americans, Israel and India all opposed Abdul Qadeer Khan because he gave us our first Islamic nuclear bomb”
        Ya, put a huge picture of Abdul in China right next to the mock up of the radioactive mountains.

So, tell me guys... what do you think are the implications of this release ???

Does this mean that the US is slowly beginning to lose its control over what Pakistan does ??? And, what are the possible implications on the war on terror ???
        Implications: he will roam around more than he used to, may be even visit his relatives have a couple of vacations.

Does this mean US is losing its control over what pakistan does: no this does not mean that, they do not have that much of control over the Pakistani judicial system. Then again who knows, US is always up to some hidden black operation, may be they have put the rest of the world under mind control this time around, i think we all need to wear hats that reflect mind control waves they are transmitting around us.

Implications on the war on terror: Unless Mr. Abdul plans on riding to Afghanistan with a bomb strapped to his chest and a AK-56 on his shoulder, the impact should be minimum, I am betting he will have a vacation, roam around a little, try to get a source of making money (he seems to really like lots of money), a professor, a politician may be?
        Last edited by kuku; 06 Feb 09,, 21:20.

Comment

Maybe he'll 'disappear' one of these days... unkil has been trying to have a chat with him for some time now...

Comment

Mr. Khan may meet a double-tap to the face in some dark alley or a Hellfire missile if he's not very, very careful about his associations and business dealings in the future.

He was much safer under house arrest.

Comment

He won't leave the country. The Americans and the Chinese both want to have long chats with the man. Thus far, Islamabad had protected access to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                He won't leave the country. The Americans and the Chinese both want to have long chats with the man. Thus far, Islamabad had protected access to him.
                chinese?!!
                why?

Comment

It's their warhead blueprint that AQ Khan sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    It's their warhead blueprint that AQ Khan sold.
                    oh!
                    I thought he stole blueprints from URENCO, no?

then didnt the chinese know that their blue prints were being sold?

Comment

URENCO doesn't make nuclear warheads. As for AQ Khan's proliferation, no the Chinese did not know and in fact, was quite embarrassed. That is why they want to talk to AQ Khan.

Comment

[CONSERVATIVE/TWO GUN/C3D2 MODE ON]

With the apparently intense, close scrutiny given Pakistan by a wide range of interests each with their attendant agents, informants, provocateurs, sources, confidants, spies and good old fashioned cloak and dagger types, could there be something else afoot?

The Dr. Khan Story is a bit stale after a fashion.

Getting enough fish to chase the same bait is the traditional remedy for good fords choked with piranha, or so I have heard it said.

[CONSERVATIVE/TWO GUN/C3D2 MODE OFF]

Have a good weekend.

William
                        Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Working...
                        X