X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Col numb nuts .

Army officer in Afghan 'leak' probe
    Press Assoc.

A senior British Army officer has been arrested in Afghanistan for allegedly supplying sensitive civilian casualty figures to a human rights campaigner.

Lt Col Owen McNally, 48, was held in the war zone on suspicion of breaching the Official Secrets Act, it is understood.

The Ministry of Defence said the officer was being returned to the UK for questioning, where his case has been referred to the Metropolitan Police.

According to The Sun, Col McNally had access to the figures through his work for Nato's International Security Assistance Force, which is running military operations across the country.

American generals in the Afghan capital Kabul are reported to be furious about the allegations.

Last year campaign group Human Rights Watch said civilian deaths in Afghanistan from US and Nato air strikes nearly tripled to at least 1,633 between 2006 and 2007. The group said it used "the most conservative figures available".

The MoD said in a statement: "We can confirm that a British Army officer has been arrested in Afghanistan on suspicion of breaching the Official Secrets Act. He is being returned to the UK for questioning."

If charged, the officer will appear at the Old Bailey in London, which hears all such Official Secrets cases. He faces a maximum sentence of 14 years if convicted.

Col McNally joined the Army as a private in 1977 and worked his way up through the ranks before being commissioned as an officer in 1995. He is thought to be one of the Army's most senior former non-commissioned officers.

Bang goes the pension Any thoughts on this conduct ladies n gents .
    Last edited by tankie; 04 Feb 09,, 14:04.

Should have let the appointed leagle eagles do their jobs instead of being the mouthpiece. Then again the media thrives upon putting people in bad situations and quoting whatever comes from their mouths when in indecision.

Looks like those birds will be flying off the collar sometime soon.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Didn't they used to shoot you for things like that?

Comment

The charges against him are:

The officer was arrested on suspicion of leaking figures on civilian deaths.

The issue of Afghan civilian deaths in air strikes has become highly sensitive for U.S. and NATO forces, who are accused by Afghan officials of being indiscriminate.
        Hardly high treason.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          Should have let the appointed leagle eagles do their jobs instead of being the mouthpiece. Then again the media thrives upon putting people in bad situations and quoting whatever comes from their mouths when in indecision.

Looks like those birds will be flying off the collar sometime soon.
          They don't wear Birds, but I know where you are coming from. All for a piece of fluff.:P

Comment

OK..a pip and a crown. The end result may be the same. 30yrs service ruined for a 'statistic' PC gone mad

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              OK..a pip and a crown. The end result may be the same. 30yrs service ruined for a 'statistic' PC gone mad
              Yup , he should have said nothing .

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                Yup , he should have said nothing .
                Col Num nuts; Have you been promoted Eric?

That was your job description, wasn't it? At least that's what Dave tells me

He should have opted for the Sgt Shultz, "I know nothing."

Freddie:P
                Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                  Col Num nuts; Have you been promoted Eric?

That was your job description, wasn't it? At least that's what Dave tells me

He should have opted for the Sgt Shultz, "I know nothing."

Freddie:P
                  Take no notice of the Northwich warrior Doug ,, half the lies he tells just aint true .

Comment

Working...
                  X