This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
    C'mon people, c'mon! The Americans had been hoarding their 90mm for precisely this unlikely event. Where on God's green earth are the Germans find all that gasoline?
    Not to mention the M1 120mm!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      If Germany had bombed New York, a B-29 would have been under control of the 8th Air Force instead of the 20th Air Force.
      I've never thought of it that way!
      But I would say you may be right!!!!

Regards
      Pioneer

Comment

It makes me wonder though, if Germany had of carried out a strategic bombing campaign (of course not anywhere near the size of the Allied efforts!) against the United States, is it likely that its people and government would have called out for more home defence' of its nation in the form of greater number of defencive fighter / interceptors and anti aircraft artillery - which would otherwise been sent overseas for offensive use.

I have no doubt that Germany would have been far better of putting its research, resources and efforts into an America Bomber, instead of the likes of the V2 rocket project.
        After all this same bomber program would have been very useful against otherwise immune targets in the Urals and beyond

Regards
        Pioneer

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer View Post
          It makes me wonder though, if Germany had of carried out a strategic bombing campaign (of course not anywhere near the size of the Allied efforts!) against the United States, is it likely that its people and government would have called out for more home defence' of its nation in the form of greater number of defencive fighter / interceptors and anti aircraft artillery - which would otherwise been sent overseas for offensive use.

I have no doubt that Germany would have been far better of putting its research, resources and efforts into an America Bomber, instead of the likes of the V2 rocket project.
          After all this same bomber program would have been very useful against otherwise immune targets in the Urals and beyond

Regards
          Pioneer
          The German's couldn't have found the amount of fuel needed to conduct a bombing campaign against the USA let alone anything else.
          The most of Luftwaffe could ever have managed was a couple of small raids, good propaganda but nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
            Not in this universe! They barely put a dent on England and that was their best shot.
            Hmmm, Hmm. Tell that to Londers' and the people of Coventry and Plymouth.

I never knew that Hitler had a desire to attack the US; you learn something new everyday.

Comment

this thread deserves half of a necro.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The whole problem stems around, what type of aircraft would undertake the role of bombing US targets, at what cost to German industry and the economy?

In reality the Germans never invested enough in the scheme for an Amerika Bomber to be a threat. Had they gone all out on the Me 264 (which was really an aerodynamic test bed) it would have been at the earliest late 1947 before production samples would have entered service.

Like many German plans and concepts it was never really thought through and financed to be just another pee and wind project.

Comment

Kittens!!!!

Run for the hills before Gunny comes along!!!!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Never mind the kittens, SWSNBN shall be prevented.

Comment

Working...
                    X