X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran launches its first satellite

Wow, this is a development.
    Iran launches its first satellite

Iran has launched its first domestically made satellite into orbit, state media reports.

TV commentary said Monday's night-time launch from a Safir-2 rocket was "another achievement for Iranian scientists under sanctions".

The satellite was designed for research and telecommunications purposes, the television report said.

Iran is subject to UN sanctions as some Western powers think it is trying to build a nuclear bomb, which it denies.

Tehran says its nuclear ambitions are limited to the production of energy.

The launch of the Omid (Hope) satellite had been expected and was clearly timed to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the Iranian revolution, says the BBC's Jon Leyne in Tehran.

Space centre

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the satellite was launched to spread "monotheism, peace and justice" in the world.

But the launch could cause alarm in the West because of fears the technology could be used to make a long-range missile, possibly with a nuclear warhead, our correspondent says.

Iran will no doubt reply that it is once again being judged by double standards for using a technology that is commonplace in many other parts of the world, he adds.

Last August, Iran said it had successfully launched a rocket capable of carrying its first domestically built satellite, having in February launched a low-orbit research rocket as part of preparations for the satellite launch.

That launch marked the inauguration of a new space centre, at an unidentified desert location, which included an underground control station and satellite launch pad.

The White House called the 2008 launch "unfortunate", warning it would further isolate Iran from the global community.

In February 2007, Iran said it had launched a rocket capable of reaching space - before it made a parachute-assisted descent to Earth.

In October 2005, a Russian rocket launched Iran's first satellite, the Sina-1, which carried photographic and telecommunications equipment.
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7866357.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

This development is a boost to Iran's international stature.

We know georgraphically Iran is important as they are in between Iraq and Afghanistan, and they have oil.
    Last edited by Merlin; 03 Feb 09,, 11:26.

Comment

Big news. I'd be lying if this didn't please me on some level; I find it amusing that an Islamic theocracy puts such an emphasis on high technology.

It also makes the politics in the region more interesting, although probably not in a good way. If they can put a satellite in orbit it means they have a key element of an ICBM. Of course it will be a while before they can actually hit anything with such a missile, and much longer before they have a nuclear payload to put on the thing.

But as the Iranian government knows, this is all about perception, which is why they launched it on the 30th anniversary of their revolution.

Ha, a strict theocracy celebrates its people rising up by launching a satellite, meant to boost nationalistic pride. Only in Iran.

edit: Right, I had an actual reason for posting here.

Here is a timeline of Iran's missile program care of Reuters
      http://uk.reuters.com/article/UKNews...5121X220090203

And I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find technical information on the missile, the satellite and the launch itself? Payload, range, altitude, orbital information etc.
      Last edited by Traxus; 03 Feb 09,, 16:07.
      Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

Yep,

I also saw a feed of the launch on an Indian news channel where they showed Ahmedinijad and his bunch of cronies all saying "Allah u Akbar" before the launch....

It seemed to be intended to replace the normal countdown sequence... i.e. Allah U Akbar 10 times instead of the countdown...

Quite funny, I must say... hahahaha...

But, that apart, it does show the direction in which the Islamic world in general is heading... They possibly want to paint the world green and do it by force....

No non-muslim country is safe, in my perception, they will never launch a direct attack against any non-muslim country but will continue to give a fillip to extremism and insurgencies so as to cause internal instability...

In conclusion, this is just the beginning of things to come. I'm sure we're all in for more shows of strength from the Arabs...

Comment

Originally posted by Gokul View Post
          Yep,

I also saw a feed of the launch on an Indian news channel where they showed Ahmedinijad and his bunch of cronies all saying "Allah u Akbar" before the launch....

It seemed to be intended to replace the normal countdown sequence... i.e. Allah U Akbar 10 times instead of the countdown...

But, that apart, it does show the direction in which the Islamic world in general is heading... They possibly want to paint the world green and do it by force....

No non-muslim country is safe, in my perception, they will never launch a direct attack against any non-muslim country but will continue to give a fillip to extremism and insurgencies so as to cause internal instability...

In conclusion, this is just the beginning of things to come. I'm sure we're all in for more shows of strength from the Arabs...
          Why exactly is this funny ? Good for Iran, I say.
          How is this a sign of Iran wanting to "paint the world green by force" !?

PS: Iran is not an Arab nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gokul View Post
            Yep,

1. While Iran talks alot about destroying Israel it is mostly show, its ambitions lie in its own region. i.e. (apart from funding terror groups, on which this has not really an impact) it is mostly a danger for its neighbours..which are pretty much all muslim countries.

2. Iranians are not Arabs.

Comment

[QUOTE=Traxus;608868]. If they can put a satellite in orbit it means they have a key element of an ICBM.[quote]

My and others thoughts as well Traxus;)

Comment

I agree it is for show that Ahmadinejad talks about the destruction of Israel. He very much want to strengthen his own position in the country, and that of Iran as a regional power.

Iran is now in a stronger position. The cards are in their hands. The US may soon have to talk to them.

The US has problem with supply routes through Pakistan to Afghanistan and would like to get them through Iran. And being a Muslim country in between Iraq and Afghanistan, Iran can give problems to US fighting there if it wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
                  The US has problem with supply routes through Pakistan to Afghanistan and would like to get them through Iran.
                  The US will go through China long before she'll go through Iran.

And being a Muslim country in between Iraq and Afghanistan, Iran can give problems to US fighting there if it wants to.
                  And the US has Iran sandwiched.

Comment

I agree it is for show that Ahmadinejad talks about the destruction of Israel. He very much want to strengthen his own position in the country, and that of Iran as a regional power.

Iran is now in a stronger position. The cards are in their hands. The US may soon have to talk to them.

The US has problem with supply routes through Pakistan to Afghanistan and would like to get them through Iran. And being a Muslim country in between Iraq and Afghanistan, Iran can give problems to US fighting there if it wants to.
                    Iran already supplies fighters and armamment in Iraq as well as to Hamas in Gaza. Its no secret but I doubt highly she could force America's hand either way.;)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Taliban is Iran's arch enemy. Why should Iran help them?

Comment

Working...
                      X