Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should women be allowed in combat roles?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my perspective ( a different one yet not so different):

I have never served with women in a combative military role.

I have encountered them in a military role as adversaries and, sadly, when AK47, RPD and RPG rounds are inbound, the gender (or age for that matter) of the hostiles are really of no importance.

Draw your own conclusions from that, I could elaborate but not required at this point.

I currently serve with females in an active role as a reserve LEO and, after my initial male prejudice (I'll call it that to make it easier.) found the following:
    ** this is my post (in it's original form)to a policing forum I subscribe to, in the locale I serve, dealing with a similar issue **

I have worked with several female partners over the years and have been in physical altercations with suspects/perps with only two of them.

I had no problem then (apart from my initial reluctance to see them as serving officers rather than women to be kept from harms way) and would have no problem now.

They both trained in Krav and showed no hesitation to get involved when things got physical.

One is a Shotokan second Dan black belt and the other a tad softer but makes up for this with her technical scene handling skills.

Not been involved in a shooting with either of them but have no doubt they will not hesitate when required to shoot.

As ******* (name deleted on request) knows, I have a theory regarding presence of prostitutes in my precinct and the resultant increases of opportunistic crimes, so I move them along as often as possible. This REQUIRES a female officer to effectively search and arrest or relocate.

They tend to therefore remain as crew (the female partner not the prostitute ) for the rest of the shift.

Censorship and Gun Control is the political equivalent of binding and gagging a victim before raping and mugging them.

Such acts are carried out by the same criminals, one with a law degree from a local place of incarceration, the other a law degree from a university for the same sick perverted purposes which are to remove you from your property, liberty and dignity, and bend you to will of others.

As I said, different, yet not so different.

I take my hat off to women that serve in any form of Military or LEO role.

Comment

While I do agree with the statements made above I will add that in Iraq we worked with females (mainly Intel corps) and didn't have any problems (no sexual incidents or anything like that). They performed very well, no different to their male colleagues.
      Nulli Secundus
      People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by tuflehundon View Post
        Look at Jessica Linch, the girl they made the TV movie about. She coward behind that truck as the Men fought back. I don't want that kind of thing to happen when I'm in combat.
        Regarding Jessica Lynch: She was certainly not the "GI Jane" that the media and the Pentagon played her up to be, but I rather doubt that she "cowered" behind her truck.

According to Private Patrick Miller, "it looked to me like she was dead, as well as everyone else that was in that vehicle".

Miller's on-the-spot assessment was almost totally accurate., as not only were the other occupants 4 of her HMMWV killed, but Lynch suffered from "a broken back, crushed legs, and extensive internal injuries".

For that matter, 2 male American soldiers attempted to surrender with their weapons in the air, but were promptly shot down by 2 Iraqis that had pulled up in a car.

All in all, I would call Jessica Lynch, a very poor example of "women shouldn't serve in combat".
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Thank you to those of you that do support females in combat positions. A couple of the posts made it sound like the females that were in the combat areas were sluts. It does take "two to tango"! And I'm sure the males didn't make an effort to push away the advances of the females that made the advances to them. Females can serve a purpose in combat, as I indicated before, in a medical field or even a technical field. And in this situation, (an excerpt from the article I posted earlier) "Krista" was invaluable when it came to questioning a Somali woman, letting her know that she was safe from being raped, as was rumored!

She'd plunge in with her fellow Soldiers, all male, and there would be a terrified Somali woman. The rumor was that American men would rape any woman who fell into their hands. Krista would get down on one knee, hand off her weapon to another Soldier, and pull off her Kevlar helmet so the woman could see she was a woman, too. She'd stay with the woman while she was questioned.
          And thank you Tophatter...Jessica wasn't a coward! I don't know what I would have done if I had been in her situation.
          “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
          "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
          sigpic

Comment

Unfortunatly as with anything else the women that I have dealt with were that 10% of idiots that are in any group. Problem is, they are the ones that get remembered. I would have to disagree with you on women being allowed to be medical personel on front lines. Doc's have to be able to pull us out of the line of fire when we get hurt. I wiegh 220lbs. Most women can't carry a guy like me, and I have had a 130lb guy carry me before when I was hurt. To me what it all boils down to is that 99% of women, even the ones in the military can't carry a full combat load and be effective after doing so on a 3 or 4 hour patrol. And that's a short patrol. If they can't hack it, they shouldn't be there. Because then I have to carry their share and I'm not as effective because of it. Now don't get me wrong, I have met some tough women that could do it, but they are very few and very far between. I don't have a problem with women serving any other role. They just don't belong in combat arms.

And as to your coment about the men not fighting off the advances, you are correct. The men involved were just as much to blame as the ladies. Probably more because they were pigs, but that's the problem to. And in most of the cases, other than the girl who was hookin, the guys made the initial advances. Believe it or not, if you look hard enouph you can find a lot of places on ship to be alone. No one knew about the girl hookin except her clients. Things were kept quite. A lot of the other hook ups would happen when we hit ports, that way they could sneak off and no one would know.

Comment

Case by case basis…

Having women being captured by say: an opponent with a medieval society – is probably not a good idea.

It may be difficult to ascertain how exactly the type of opponent might respond to an army that exposes its woman to capture.

They could be inspired to continue, escalate asymmetrically - or turn (inward) on their own female population?

Comment

I'd Say yes, with, but there needs to be requirements, not that I look up PT requirments hat often, but I know that the Female side is such differant from the male. If you were going to have Women in a Combat MOS they should be required to do the PT.

Now I understand the disruptions they can cause as well, and I've got no good plan to counter them, but saying no for the fact that "men are stupid" dosn't nessisarily make sence either. Well, looking at it from an equality point of view.

One, maybe two other points to make, 5 females on a ship full of marines is a bad idea anyway. Sure there will be problems at first, but any female who's able to do the same thing as a man ina Combat MOS probubly isn't going to be just pushed around by her fellow soldiers (maybe I give them to much credit). The things is, and i've seen it, other MOSs can be so differant in mindset. When I was in Iraq, from the female MP's I had seen, most of them didn't really have the same mindset as the infantry units.

Yes, girls will be girls, but if she was determined enough to get through Ranger school (or someother hardcore training) the odds of misconduct and bad things happening decrease alot.

Your also talking about inter-unit relations, If they train and work together regularly, nothing is going to happen. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of incidents happend between units, female MPs sleeping around the FOB with the infanrty units.

Well, thats all from me.
                For Great Justice, Take off every Zigg

Comment

Quite the controversial question there and very difficult to provide an opinion one way or the other. Woman do serve in some combat roles already in the US military, however I do not think that every combat role should be opened up to them.
                  It has a tendency to lower the standards (physically) required to fill certain roles. Now in some rare cases you can find woman that can meet some extreme physical standards but that should not become a universal given.

Comment

Yes the incident's were all inter- unit. Every unit I have been in was all male. In my entire Regiment there were 2 females. One was a Dentist, and the other was a Dental Asst. We never had much contact wit them except on a professional basis due to a dentist visit.

One of the biggest problems you are going to deal with having women in combat units is bigotry and prejudice. I have seen intagrated units were everything was fine, and have seen big problems to.

Comment

Once upon a time only those from certain classes could be officers and units ere segregated by race. They said militaries would fall apart when these were changed and they only got stronger. There is no such thing as front line, the enemy could be everywhere. Being in a MP, combat engineer, quartermaster, or other "non-frontline combat" unit doesn't mean jack anymore. The enemy doesn't check to see if you're infantry first. If a young woman wants to be in a combat unit, I say let her if she can meet the requirements.
                      F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

In modern warfare, not to say women, not even every healthy man is suitable for combat
                        duty. It limits to healthy young men around the age of 20( give/take a few years). But due
                        to technical development of weapons. There are so many works to be done, before
                        combatants could come to play. So my vote is N.

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
                          There is no doubt that women have ........... I've seen it to many times to be naive.
                          I absolutely agree with everything Osage said. Having seen the very same thing too many times, and worse. Good post and good examples O.

I served in an MP unit until I could not tolerate the female BS games anymore. We had two out of a dozen that was worth a dam and they were exceptional troopers, but the ratio of good to bad is the killer. I therefore went to the one place in the Army where there was no way I had to tolerate it anymore.

Women are perfectly capable of many jobs but combat and especially spec ops, should be off-limits.

Comment

Some things here.

Women has seen combat ever since the beginnings of the human race, often at the victim end which also means that they have also fought back since the beginnings of the human race. Threaten a child and see just how much a woman can fight.

This being said, we're talking about a professional force, here, not a conscript force. That means we take the best of the best and the best of the best are men. There is no doubt about that. While women have passed Jump courses and SOF courses, specifically the SAS course, no woman has ever being invited to join the jump companies nor the SAS regiments. That is because that the best any woman has ever been able to do was middle of the pack while the invites are restricted to the top 2-10 depending on the quality level that year.

A woman is not a man and the sooner that everybody accepts this, the sooner everybody is happier. The question is at what level do you stop making the human male as the basis of your military requirements. Obvious answer is the recruit course and shift your requirements up to the battle course where only the cut off percents get to join the regiment.

As for deployments, we all have rules about sex, even unwritten rules. During the Napoleonic Wars, if your husband gets killed, you have 48-72 hours to get remarried or you're kicked out, harshly at times, out of the camp and your home. The Red Army expected you to fight until child birth and so did the Vietnamese, regardless if you were prostituting, raped, or planning a family. None of this is fair but war has never being about fair.

Comment

women have rights to be in army

Originally posted by SuhasDighe View Post
                              God, what a controversy! Yes, apparently women have done many things men do, including combat, but that's a small population. For all practical purposes women have a role to play, that of being a mother and raising the children and physically and mentaly they are built to support this role. This is no mean or an inferior task. Man can not be complete without a woman. The children of those women who are not on this track suffer. This has to be accepted. There is lot at stake when a woman does not stick to this. No offence meant.
                              i agree with you. but i still say yes for it. only a few women can and even fewer women want combat roles, women have better social roles than combat. i personally oppose a common woman to get a combat role. the reason i say yes is i want to keep the door open, if there is a certain woman is fit for a combat position, she can get it, but most common woman shouldn't

Comment

If I were sent to war, i'd love to have women soldiers on my side. I'd definately risk my life saving them if they were in trouble, and hopefully be rewarded for that. I'd even love it more if my whole platoon was female and I was the only male.

Comment

Working...
                                X