Questions for those who carry:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for those who carry:

Those of you who have CCW and carry, or LEO but carry off duty, do you carry spare mags or speed loaders?

If you carry a hi-cap, do you carry spare mags?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    Those of you who have CCW and carry, or LEO but carry off duty, do you carry spare mags or speed loaders?

I usually carry my Sig P220 Carry in .45ACP with 2 spare mags.Two 8 rnd mags and 8+1 in the pistol=25 rounds total.If I need more than that I'm probably in way over my head;).
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
      If I need more than that I'm probably in way over my head;).
      :)):))
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

When I carry my ultra I have seven in the weapon + 2, 8rnd mags, 45acp. for 23 total. that is for around hometown. I also always carry at least one edged weapon in a convenient pocket of my tactical vest and my surefire G-2 in the other pocket.

When travelling to larger populations I pack my FNP45 w/14 rnds in the weapon and 2 x 14 mags w/weaponlight if out after dark. 42 rnds total.

When going on a trip were I may be carrying something of great value or high profile or a high crime area I carry it all. Sometimes all at once, sometimes half secured in my vehicle, which by the way is a jeep that has a custom heavy duty, all steel pry proof glove box, and a custom metal pry-proof box in the back for storing larger valuables.

More info than what you asked for but I just thought would add the importance for those who carry that you must always maintain security of your weapon no matter what.

I should also add that I also carry a quick-clot (for stab or bullet wounds) I am getting older and perhaps a teeny bit slower. And cell phone with emergency charger and very often I also keep my digital camera in my pocket. I was a boy scout........Be Prepared, the scout motto.;)
        Last edited by Blue; 17 Jan 09,, 03:43.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

Depends on the day, the location, the gun(s), my clothing, and my health, but a typical day would be:
          SIG P229/.357 Sig, 12+1, w/ 1 x 12- or 14-rd spare, + Colt Mustang .380, 6-7+1.

On a day where I am not sure I can effectively reload (arthritis), its more like:
          3 x Colt Mustang .380 6-7+1.

Sniper is right, you need to also carry a knife (for me, usually a Spyderco Delica or Endura, but you also have access to those nifty 1.9" California automatics), one or more flashlights (right now, I have a Night-Ops Gladius, w/spare batteries, and some LED Photon Microlights), a cellphone, and Quik Clot (or Trauma Dex). I keep the latter in my truck, and its also part of my carry-on kit for flying.

Comment

Is crime (or more critically gun crime) really such a bad problem in the US that people need to carry guns all or most of the time?
            Nulli Secundus
            People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

I've carried the same stainless Ruger Speed Six 357 since 1983, mainly in a Bianchi butt-forward shoulder holster. It's an old friend.

Normally, in the States, I don't carry a speedloader...for 3 reasons: It's not convenient. I am more compelled to be accurate. And statistically, if you are well-trained, there are very few civilian threat scenarios that require reloads.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Capstar View Post
                Is crime (or more critically gun crime) really such a bad problem in the US that people need to carry guns all or most of the time?

Absolutely not. In all my life in the US, living in many places, traveling all over, I have never once seen anyone outside the gun range pull a firearm, shoot a firearm or threaten anyone with a firearm. Never.

But, Americans like guns. They like the idea of being able to own them. It's a Constitutional Right, and we enjoy exercising that right.
                Last edited by Red Seven; 17 Jan 09,, 14:53.

Comment

I prefer the Bianchi speed strips to speed loaders...

Tony
                  Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                    I prefer the Bianchi speed strips to speed loaders...

Tony
                    I've been looking at those Tony,do you find them to be faster than a speedloader?
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've been looking at those Tony,do you find them to be faster than a speedloader?
                      No, but they are flatter, don't imprint and they never accidentally open leaving you with a pocket full of change, loading two at a time goes faster than you'd think with practice, although I wouldn't use them for IPSC comps.

I have two HKS speed loaders each, for both of my Colts they only feed that particular revolver, I used to have a couple of the speed strip's with .38 special +P's and they'd do for any revolver.

Unfortunately I lost (was taken out of my range bag) my last one at the range last year, and I can't find a supplier here in Germany, to replace them, if I did I'd get 12 of them.

I have had the jet loader when I had the S&W # 586's ("4 & "6 barrel), and found them good, but the speed strips are just somehow better.

Get some and give them a try, if you don't like them send them to me and I'll find a use for them.

Tony
                      Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

No sir. And I have only had to draw my gun once (as a civilian) in over twenty years, in self defense against a crazed road rager who had run my wife and I into the ditch on our motorcycle, with an SUV. I did not have to fire, but it brought an end to the assault. I absolutely believe without it we would have been run down, dead.

I look at carrying a gun for the same reason I carry a fire-extinguisher in my RV, boat, vehicle and have two in the house. I have only used one of those ever as well to try to put out a vehicle fire that I came upon while driving once. I may never need it, but if I do, and I have it, it could save mine or someone elses life.

Comment

For most people in most areas definately not. Now there are circumstances where it is generally a pretty decent idea, most tow-truck drivers and repo men in my area tend to carry. (repo men near here are in my opinion using a terrible tactic for their own safety middle of the night they creep up on the house with lights offand either hook to or prepare to start the vechile they are repo ing then have the acomplice they have with them to drive their own vechile back paste the notice on the door.IMO showing up late evening not wee hours of the morning knock and driving away would get most vechiles and while you'd have to deal with a bit of begging and pleading in most cases you'd have to deal with fewer baseball bats and shootings at the guy in my grage yard driveway sealling my car.) The bouncers in a fair number of the bars and clubs in the more questionable sections of town tend to as well. Not so much on the job as off. (generally they have a locker or a weapon secured in their vechile) Its also rarely gun crime they are armed against. Its more against a couple of people with baseball bats or the what ever waiting outside the club after being kicked out or denied entry. (I do some bouncer work part time as one of my friends owns an events promotions company. we stay out of some seedier areas now simply because its freaky like this).

Other reasons include stalkers and ex-relationships., and jobs where you are in alot of confrontations with people.

Florida for example has over 18 million people, and fewer than 1.5 million concealed carry permits issued. This is since 1987 the licenses themselves are only good for 3 years, (though are highly likely to be renewed) Only 166 licenses have been revoked for crimes commited while a license holder and very very few have been for crimes with the licensed weapon.

For most of the people who get concealed carry licenses its usually not carried everywhere every day its usually because of an identifiable threat to their wellfare. There are those with a lifestyle or occupation that do continually renew thir license where this happens.

In short No the vast majority of people don't feel enough of a need to even look seriously into carring a weapon, Of those that do the majority of them don't feel the need to constantly carry and or aren't threatened long term.

Comment

Actually, I need to amend my statement above. I pulled a firearm once. I was in my truck, stopped at an intersection in Tampa. My 1911 was on the seat next to me. A suspicious-looking individual on the sidewalk sauntered over and opened the door of my truck. I picked up the weapon and pointed it at the bridge of his nose. He backed up, shut the door and walked away.

I never had to say a word.

Comment

We teach speed strips in class, for several practical reasons, and I carry them myself when carrying a revolver.

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                              Other reasons include stalkers and ex-relationships., and jobs where you are in alot of confrontations with people.

Florida for example has over 18 million people, and fewer than 1.5 million concealed carry permits issued. This is since 1987 the licenses themselves are only good for 3 years, (though are highly likely to be renewed) Only 166 licenses have been revoked for crimes commited while a license holder and very very few have been for crimes with the licensed weapon.

For most of the people who get concealed carry licenses its usually not carried everywhere every day its usually because of an identifiable threat to their wellfare. There are those with a lifestyle or occupation that do continually renew thir license where this happens.

In short No the vast majority of people don't feel enough of a need to even look seriously into carring a weapon, Of those that do the majority of them don't feel the need to constantly carry and or aren't threatened long term.
                              Where I live, its fairly common for "regular" people to be licensed to carry, albeit most do not carry at all times. Its partially a rural/urban divide, but my rule of thumb is that 25% of adults (and maybe 1% of younger people) are licensed here.

Let me add: there is no centralized registry of issued licenses here, so my rule of thumb is based on experience and observation, not hard numbers.
                              Last edited by GraniteForge; 17 Jan 09,, 20:36. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
                              X