Questions for those who carry:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
    Actually, I need to amend my statement above. I pulled a firearm once. I was in my truck, stopped at an intersection in Tampa. My 1911 was on the seat next to me. A suspicious-looking individual on the sidewalk sauntered over and opened the door of my truck. I picked up the weapon and pointed it at the bridge of his nose. He backed up, shut the door and walked away.

I never had to say a word.
    It's amazing how looking at the business end of a .45 will make you re-think your priorities in life:)).
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Red Seven View Post
      I've carried the same stainless Ruger Speed Six 357 since 1983, mainly in a Bianchi butt-forward shoulder holster. It's an old friend.

Normally, in the States, I don't carry a speedloader...for 3 reasons: It's not convenient. I am more compelled to be accurate. And statistically, if you are well-trained, there are very few civilian threat scenarios that require reloads.
      You have obviously not encountered a zombie outbreak!!:))

Comment

When I carry I have one extra mag on me and another one nearby.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
          You can crack quite a few heads with a Ruger revolver before the fatigue set's in. We used to have the Security six, 3" barrelled ones back when I was pulling security for a living, great all weather go anywhere do almost anything guns, no rear sights to adjust, just the channel in the top of the frame, and an instructor who's attitude said it all. He was asked by a fellow student,"why do we just shoot double action"? and the instructors answer was a classic, "if and when you ever have to use that gun, you won't have time to take aim let alone **** the hammer, so you may as well learn it now while nobody is shooting at you". I learned so much from that man in just a few days.

Tony
          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

personal protection- colt python .357 mag with nickel plated 6" barrel shooting 158gr hornady jacketed soft points. Delivers 1,100+ foot pounds at the mussle at and excess of 1400+ fps/mv. On that note no extra ammo. If five rounds with that power cant save me then i am not sure what could. (hammer always sits on an empty chamber< safty)

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor Guy View Post
              personal protection- colt python .357 mag with nickel plated 6" barrel shooting 158gr hornady jacketed soft points. Delivers 1,100+ foot pounds at the mussle at and excess of 1400+ fps/mv. On that note no extra ammo. If five rounds with that power cant save me then i am not sure what could. (hammer always sits on an empty chamber< safty)
              Hello IG, Welcome to the WAB!

I was wondering if you actually carry that hog daily. When I was a deputy I carried a 6" Ruger GP-100 daily and sometimes off-duty, a 4" S&W .44mag mod 629. Now that I'm older(and tired of lugging all that weight) I've opted for a more compact Kimber Ultra in .45 acp.

I don't know if you know this or not or just prefer to, but modern revolvers like your Python do not require to rest on an empty chamber for safety. They have hammer blocks that prevent the firing pin from contacting the primer unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear, effectively protecting you from discharging when dropped, even with the hammer cocked.

The empty chamber rule was more for older revolvers that lacked this feature.

Just thought I would offer that. So do you carry any extra ammo with when you tote the Python?

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post

For the Zombie defense I am duct-taping a chainsaw to the Ruger barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor Guy View Post
                  That Python doesn't have a transfer-bar safety system? My old Taurus 686 had one. The hammer doesn't have a firing pin on it so it's perfectly safe to let it sit on a loaded chamber.

My Single Action Army replica is another story. It's quite an authentic replica. :))
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    Those of you who have CCW and carry, or LEO but carry off duty, do you carry spare mags or speed loaders?

If you carry a hi-cap, do you carry spare mags?
                    I do not.

-dale

Comment

Toemag, Dillon Precision sells Speedstrips in pairs for about $8.00. They also sell a nifty little pouch for a Speedstrip for about $26. And they do foreign orders.

I carry more than one gun, and spare ammo for each. I used to carry a single-stack 1911 .45 ACP Colt (8+1) and 3 each spare 8-rd mags. A few months ago I started carrying an 5" .45 XD. Still carry 3 spares (53 rds total). BUG is a Kel-Tec P-3AT (6 + 1 and one spare mag).
                      "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Originally posted by Kalvan View Post
                        Toemag, Dillon Precision sells Speedstrips in pairs for about $8.00. They also sell a nifty little pouch for a Speedstrip for about $26. And they do foreign orders.
                        While Dillon will ship overseas they are prohibited from shipping speed-loaders(not sure why...).I would check with them to see if the Speedstrips fall under the same restrictions.
                        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I carry a 1911 and 2 spare mags. I have pulled it, but have never had to use it stateside. I just like having the ammo if I need it.

Comment

I always have extra, just in case

No matter what I carry, I have extra mags or speedloaders, just would hate to have to say..."oh crap! I don't have enough" Ususally caryy them in my messenger bag though as opposed to directly on my person, but depending on the situation that changes. If just going for a walk or a jog (finally able), I carry a Hi-power in a shoulder holster, just the mag in the gun. If I get back to running withy the wieght vest on, I will go back to sticking a couple mags in the weight pouches.
                            CADPIPE

Comment

Let me add

that in those cases where I know that I could be running into trouble, I carry more.

For example, when I get a serious alarm call in the middle of the night (for a weapons storage facility), I have my usual handguns plus the usual long guns that I have in the truck, but I also carry at least one mag/ammo compatible with my local PD. I have sometimes had to clear a building -- paired off with the local PD -- and I always want to be able to feed my partner's handgun, whichever of us is running it.

to clarify: my local PD carries the same model handgun as I do, but in a different caliber.
                              Last edited by GraniteForge; 23 Jan 09,, 05:58. Reason: clarify

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                                I will go back to sticking a couple mags in the weight pouches.
                                The best kind of lead to carry for your health!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X