X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine Year Old Defeats Chess Grandmaster

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5144

Hetul Shah, nine-year-old grandmaster slayer
    13.01.2009 – This has to be one for the records. At the Parsvnath Open in New Delhi the nine-year-old Hetul Shah defeated an experienced grandmaster, with the black pieces, in a regular tournament game with FIDE time controls. His opponent was 31-year-old Kasakh GM Nurlan Ibrayev, rated almost 600 points higher than the lad, and now probably the world's most embarrassed GM. Games and pictures.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I know this kid.
    He used to study in the school in which my mother teaches.

He was extremely dedicated towards chess. According to what my mum told me, he used to wake up at 4 in the morning, travel 60 kilometers into Delhi by bus, to go to his tutor for learning chess.
    He trained there for one hour, then came all the way back, then dressed for school and then caught the bus to school.

This is a pretty impressive feat to achieve.
    " THe SiLEnt KNighT.

Comment

Originally posted by sohamsri View Post
      I know this kid.
      He used to study in the school in which my mother teaches.

He was extremely dedicated towards chess. According to what my mum told me, he used to wake up at 4 in the morning, travel 60 kilometers into Delhi by bus, to go to his tutor for learning chess.
      He trained there for one hour, then came all the way back, then dressed for school and then caught the bus to school.

This is a pretty impressive feat to achieve.

Such dedication deserves the rewards.

Comment

Great indeed ...... specially when you are playing with black pieces ....

Comment

Originally posted by Xneon View Post
          Great indeed ...... specially when you are playing with black pieces ....
          unlike the picture above.. I wonder if he lost that one because he was playing white:))

Comment

MS Gopakumar, FA, Deputy Chief Arbiter, writes:
            Hetul Shah was a class act on Sunday afternoon as he not only recorded his biggest victory but also ensured a name in the record books. While it was confirmed late in the day that Hetul is the youngest ever to beat a Grandmaster, he, at the same time, bettered the Indian record set up by Parimarjan Negi by more than a year. Parimarjan had beaten Grandmaster Ivan Nemet in a Biel open and was thus far the youngest ever to beat a Grandmaster from India. That feat was achieved way back in 2004 when Parimarjan was 11 years old. Hetul, at 9 years and six months has won his place in history of the game.

Here is the link for step by step moves http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/9-...omment-page-1/
            "To make a record you have to break the record"- me :)

Comment

Amazing! Looks like we have a child prodigy in the making here...

Nebula82.

Comment

Working...
              X