No announcement yet.

Vista or XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now you tell me! After we bought a new Dell last year!

Dang....
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
      Give me Linux or give me death. :)
      Saves a lot of antivirus software if nothing else...

Comment

My laptop is installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (32) and PC with XP Black Edition.

I must confess that when Vista was released, I was hesitant to use it, and criticized it for every fault I could find.

After after using Vista throughout 2008, I like it better than any other Microsoft.

I have used leopard on my friends Mac...its awesome !
        Would love to own a Macbook air one day
        " THe SiLEnt KNighT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
          Do you get the blue screen of death? The main reason I upgraded is because of the limitations on XP on memory... it can only utilize 3320MB on my system and I have 4GB.
          That is not a limitation of XP but rather a limitation of a 32-bit based operating system. XP64 can address more than 3 GB of RAM and Vista 32 is limited to 3GB.

If you run 64-bit system then you might run into some problem with compatibility with legacy programs.

Vista is supremely stable, when using programs written for it. The problems come from legacy programs that were written for older OSes, like Windows 98, or even some Windows 2k programs.

The problem for Vista was the rush to get it out the door. Many drivers were not perfected so the performance was poor.

Of course Vista requires much more overhead to run well. But if it has the necessary overhead then it runs very well.

I run XP now since my computer is old (2.5 years). I normally run an operating system that's 1 generation behind just for all the bugs to be worked out. I am in no hurry for the latest eye candy.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Vista is supremely stable, when using programs written for it. The problems come from legacy programs that were written for older OSes, like Windows 98, or even some Windows 2k programs.

The problem for Vista was the rush to get it out the door. Many drivers were not perfected so the performance was poor.

Of course Vista requires much more overhead to run well. But if it has the necessary overhead then it runs very well.
            Have noticed and learned this. Absolutely agree with you here. Good info.

Comment

I use both XP and 98SE, and don't really like either one. Every bloated new iteration of Windows adds automatic features that I have waste time figuring out how to disable. XP is significantly more stable than earlier versions, and its easier to reload, which I have to do every six months or so, no matter which version of Windows I use. I don't intend to ever install Vista on a personally owned machine.

Comment

XP for sure.
                Wait for Windows 7, should be much better then XP.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                  I use both XP and 98SE, and don't really like either one. Every bloated new iteration of Windows adds automatic features that I have waste time figuring out how to disable. XP is significantly more stable than earlier versions, and its easier to reload, which I have to do every six months or so, no matter which version of Windows I use. I don't intend to ever install Vista on a personally owned machine.
                  XP can be leaned up a bit.

You can go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and disable many of the following listed here:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    That is not a limitation of XP but rather a limitation of a 32-bit based operating system. XP64 can address more than 3 GB of RAM and Vista 32 is limited to 3GB.

If you run 64-bit system then you might run into some problem with compatibility with legacy programs.

I run XP now since my computer is old (2.5 years). I normally run an operating system that's 1 generation behind just for all the bugs to be worked out. I am in no hurry for the latest eye candy.
                    Yeah, seems I mistook Vista's ability to recognize 4GB of RAM as being able to use it, my mistake.

My first install of Vista I was getting constant BSoD, but I'm pretty sure it was a result of having a non-Vista compatible sound card present during installation. Vista seems to be very touchy about old hardware, drivers, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by PanSonic View Post
                      XP for sure.
                      Wait for Windows 7, should be much better then XP.
                      I personally think Windows 7 is going to be alot similar to Vista... perhaps less resource-intensive. I'll probably switch over when it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        Yeah, seems I mistook Vista's ability to recognize 4GB of RAM as being able to use it, my mistake.

My first install of Vista I was getting constant BSoD, but I'm pretty sure it was a result of having a non-Vista compatible sound card present during installation. Vista seems to be very touchy about old hardware, drivers, and so on.
                        Hmmm...interesting. I have installed Vista, both 32-bit and 64-bit on half a dozen machines and never had a single problem. Some of them had HDA audio and some had no audio at all. I forgot if any had PCI audio.

Most of these machines ranged from new to 2 years back in 2007. I found Vista to be very accomodating to different types of hardware, although slow, on these older machines.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I am a software engineer and I have been running Windows on PC's since Windows 2.0. I have a XP workstation, Vista workstation, Win2K server, and about a year ago, decided to try out a Mac.

Not sure if I will buy another PC again. Absolutely sold on the stability and performance of a Mac.

Comment

I have XP on my CPU and Vista on my laptop.....

I think I've had more problems with XP than my laptop.

Comment

same thing as Kansas Bear said.

i don't play games on my laptop, and for web browsing, word processing, video and flash and sound editing i find vista extremely stable. i hate all the "extra features", so much hand holding it's like for toddlers and it hides information from me.

XP is alright. i'm not sure if i like it because i'm so familiar with it.

Comment

Vista on my satellite laptop just fried today during an update to bios. The geek squad and Toshiba says motherboard is done. Bought in Sep 07. Have to argue it out tomorrow with cust relations at toshiba to see if I can get thenm to make good since thier half-ass tech support guy was having me do the upgrade. All was good till that one little push of the button

I would just like to add that I f****in hate Vista. If there is an OS hell, I hope it goes there. This from an Agnostic, which means that I can still hope!!!:))
                                Last edited by Blue; 28 Jan 09,, 06:17.

Comment

Working...
                                X