Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kommunist View Post
    I totally disagree on the comparison.
    1. India is not Venezuela and China is not the USA.
    2. India and China have gone to war at least once before.
    3. Both countries have an outstanding border dispute.
    4. India has got some of its AgnisIIIs trained on Beijing. (Agni III was developed as the deterrant against China)
    Venezuela is actually more important to the US than your post would suggest (but not nearly as important as Chavez's delusions of granduer would suggest). My point is that compared to other of China's security concerns, India is secondary thanks to Pakistani issues hogging up more than their fair share of attention from Indian strategic planners (to be fair, there's not a lot that Beijing or New Delhi can do to one another conventionally). As for the Agni III, has it been deployed yet? The 2nd Artillery, due to political constraints, doesn't have a whole lot of latitude involving nuclear weapons and so they focus on America and Russia as their main nuclear related contingencies.

A more apt comparison would be to say that it would be that the PRC would be as concerned about an Indian ABM system as the Soviets would have worried about the PRC some years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
      Venezuela is actually more important to the US than your post would suggest (but not nearly as important as Chavez's delusions of granduer would suggest). My point is that compared to other of China's security concerns, India is secondary thanks to Pakistani issues hogging up more than their fair share of attention from Indian strategic planners (to be fair, there's not a lot that Beijing or New Delhi can do to one another conventionally). As for the Agni III, has it been deployed yet? The 2nd Artillery, due to political constraints, doesn't have a whole lot of latitude involving nuclear weapons and so they focus on America and Russia as their main nuclear related contingencies.

A more apt comparison would be to say that it would be that the PRC would be as concerned about an Indian ABM system as the Soviets would have worried about the PRC some years back.

Agni III has been deployed.
      And the rest, well okay..... I get what you mean.
      Everyone has opinions, only some count.

Comment

Seems like its is technical cooperation. GOOD!! We always welcome advanced BMD technological cooperation from USA. USA have lot of experiences and variety of systems.

There are four systems currently underdevelopment in India...

AAD (tested in 2006)
        PAD (tested in 2007)
        AD-1 (first test by 2010)
        AD-2 (first test by 2011)

All of them are totally different from each other and has different altitude of interceptions. We can get a lot of knowledge from well established US BMD systems...specially future IR seekers for outer space...

Comment

Originally posted by Kommunist View Post
          Could you please tell me why GBIs would not work in case of India?
          (I have limited knowledge in this regard)
          Ground based interceptors are usually designed for mid-course intercept of long-range ballistic missiles. Given India's location to its, er, primary threats, there is too little lag time for a Ground-based intercept to work successfully.

http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/html/midcrse.html

Depending on how forward deployed the threat missiles are I don't know that ground-based will work well for India. Boost-phase on the other hand may be able to work since IR signatures of threat missiles will be hot and readable for probably a significant period and thus more easily targeted by BPI: http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/html/boost.html

Terminal phase would be the last resort, and that includes Pac-3s, and THAAD. But again India is working with a shorter timeline here: http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/html/terminal.html

I doubt the origin country of threat missiles to India is going to use long-range missiles against short-range targets so boost-phase intercept is the most ideal missile defense for India in my view.

Comment

AFAIK Israel offered Arrow II and not Arrow I.

India won't buy missiles but will buy some techs like detecting and tracking system etc.

Comment

AAD (tested in 2006 and 2007 and will be again test fired soon)
              PAD (tested in 2007 and will be again test fired soon)

India is going for Multilayer defence.

Agni III is yet to be deployed. It has one or two test fire left after which it will be handed over to the services for user trials.

Comment

US ABM deployment Poland

This is the same heavy interceptor being installed/expanded at Ft. Greeley and Vandenburg AFP.

The plan is for a battery of 10 interceptors. I have not been able to find out if the system has reloads, but US continental US air defenses have always had reload capability. Without reload, in combination with Patriot and other systems, the battery could protect against a launch of 2-4 Iranian missiles.

Of course the system could be the "thin edge of the wedge" as the Russians fear, but the battery is solely directed against Iran and no one else. The US-based and Japan-based systems are for protection against a substantial DPRK launch; in case of the US-based systems after the expansion at Ft. Greeley is completed US could handle up to 20 DPRK missiles, in combination with Aegis and other systems.

US has followed a very complex multilayered-strategy in designing, developing, deploying its ABM systems. There are several interceptors and radars all with different capabilities.

I dont keep up with this field anymore as I have to earn a living to pay bills, but I believe the latest is the US is giving its mid-course interceptors warheads that will maneuver to match trajectories with incoming warheads. They will have the ability to control each other, directing warheads already released to meet changing threats.

The wild card in the US ABM program is if the US plans to use N-warheads or not. They deny it, but it makes no sense NOT to use them, particularly if they have new, miniaturized warheads that do not produce EMP.

I am unclear if the US has facilities to stage undetected sub-kiloton N-tests.

We think of the US as a very open society, but I am continually amazed at how much critical stuff is hidden. They dont bother with the small stuff, but work hard to protect their core asset performances. Maybe India could learn something here.

Comment

Originally posted by rrikhye View Post
                  ...The wild card in the US ABM program is if the US plans to use N-warheads or not. They deny it, but it makes no sense NOT to use them, particularly if they have new, miniaturized warheads that do not produce EMP.
                  The GBI system uses a kinetic kill vehicle. No explosives at all.
                  I am unclear if the US has facilities to stage undetected sub-kiloton N-tests.
                  We do sub-critical tests and computer simulations. That's it.
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Thanks, Highseas.

Yes, of course, KV and no explosives, subcritical and computer simulations.

Again, I am out of the loop for a long time, but once in a while one picks up rumors that the US is working on other types of warheads for GBI.

Comment

...Again, I am out of the loop for a long time, but once in a while one picks up rumors that the US is working on other types of warheads for GBI.
                      Lots of rumors out there. ;)

There was a time when ABM doctrine called for a nuclear detonation in space, but today it's just not needed. The best way to shut down all comms and bring everything to a halt would be a nuke blast in LEO. Bye-bye to all your comsats, GPS, etc. Not to mention the debris field. Definitely an undesirable outcome.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                      X