Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Class & Midway Class - Same Powerplant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post
    Contemporary pictures of the Missouri during WWII didn't show the CHTs and the early Tamiya version didn't have them so I'll leave them off. Lots of human waste is created with 2,900 sailors... ugh!
    True: But as I said they were bolted on and it was a flip of the coin as to whether you would see a ship with or without them in place. Since they are very heavy and quite a hassle to bolt into place if you're out at sea, they were often left off. But some ports required they be installed to direct such waste discharges directly toward the water rather than out on the pier or passing boats.

Also, CHT systems were not required until the 1970's. But brown and gray water waste was still pumped out through the overboards. You will see many ships with a rubber elbow "nozzle" bolted to those discharge openings to at least direct the waste (or sometimes just water from the showers) a little more downwards and still reduce stain marks on the hull. These are unofficially called "Horse C*cks".

Gosh. I hope the moderators let's that one go through. After all, it is a description used by the Navy ever since they were invented.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Also, CHT systems were not required until the 1970's. But brown and gray water waste was still pumped out through the overboards. You will see many ships with a rubber elbow "nozzle" bolted to those discharge openings to at least direct the waste (or sometimes just water from the showers) a little more downwards and still reduce stain marks on the hull. These are unofficially called "Horse C*cks".
      Well that explains the taste of those HorseC@ck sandwiches they use to serve us for MidRats

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
        CHT - Contaminated Holding Tanks .
        Sorry old buddy. But CHT stands for Collection Holding Transfer tanks. When coming into regulated waters that forbid direct discharge of raw waste water, the cross-over valves were then opened up the COLLECT the waste water, HOLD it for a while for aeration units could allow bacteria to help decomposed the waste, and then TRANSFER it to either a shore based sewer system or waste collection tank trucks.

Comment

A CHT on Iowa, 7th deck, forward.
          Attached Files

Comment

Who were the lucky sailors who had the opportuinity to clean those out???

Comment

Probably PALS. No, not buddy buddies, but Prisoners At Large. That would be part of their "civic duty" time.

Though I had a lot of help from the piping design section in charge of raw sewage runs to the tanks, they were a beast to design. Though a draftsman drew the plans, I was the lucky guy picked to design them.

You will notice it has a sloped bottom in it. So steam cleaning wasn't too bad and the bosums of all the Tee bar stiffeners above are filled with Coal Tar Epoxy to provide slanted surfaces for run-off.

I used to have a lot of friends in the shipfitter shop, but I think I lost a few when they had to build and install these --- in place ---- including the aft tanks on each side of the Steering Gear Room of the 62 & 63.

Comment

Well I did stick my head a bit into the open hatch, to shoot the picture, and didn't smell a thing. At the time I didn't know what CHT meant until I relayed to Rusty what I just saw. He then informed me what it was... Oh!

Comment

DeComm crews for sure and contractors as a possibility.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Build a CHT that doesn't smell

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    Well I did stick my head a bit into the open hatch, to shoot the picture, and didn't smell a thing. At the time I didn't know what CHT meant until I relayed to Rusty what I just saw. He then informed me what it was... Oh!
                    This discussion reminds me of the joke about the German craftsman that was hired by the farmer to build a brick outhouse that didn't stink.... surely some bright engineer can design the same for a US Naval ship

But at least I have learned from this thread what to look for on my next BB tour.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                      tbm - I assume the Hornet has these somewhere onboard? I'll try and find them next time I'm onboard, though I assume they're well below-decks somewhere (anywhere close to the engineering spaces?).
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Have to be located and piped to be able to serve both fore and aft shore pier hookups. Cross over valves access both sides of the ship.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          Have to be located and piped to be able to serve both fore and aft shore pier hookups. Cross over valves access both sides of the ship.
                          The pumps are designed for a 90 foot head. So the tanks will be less than 90 feet below their discharge c*ck plugs on Main Deck (Hangar Deck on a Carrier).

Comment

Working...
                          X