Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Class & Midway Class - Same Powerplant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Engineering scuttles on Broadway. These would be used to escape the Engineering spaces in case of emergency after scaling an enclosed verticle ladder. Note how slim these scuttles are for broad shouldered men. PS sorry about the foot.:))
    A SHIPALT was written by NAVSEA to increase the sizes of those scuttles and at the bottom of the trunks install self closing Eliason doors. The existing doors at the bottom are 4-dog 18 X 36 manual doors.

The Eliason doors would have required enlarging the bottom of the trunk extensively, relocate piping and (worst of all) relocate reach rod handwheels to the main injection scoops. Also, those doors only allow one man at a time to enter because of blockage of the ladderway.

So I designed a larger quick acting door cut down from a standard size door that would fit without enlarging the trunk and allow all personnel into the trunk leaving the last man to merely close the door.

My design was adopted by NAVSEA but then the BB's were ordered out of service.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      USS New Jersey
      I live pretty close to the New Jersey. What does it take to get the deluxe "Grand Tour?" I took the standard tour a couple years ago, but I think there were quite a few things we missed.

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
        I live pretty close to the New Jersey. What does it take to get the deluxe "Grand Tour?" I took the standard tour a couple years ago, but I think there were quite a few things we missed.
        A "GRAND" tour of most memorial ships, particularly the size of Battleships and Aircraft Carriers is a very controlled event. That's because they would have to take you into spaces that are normally dehumidified with some very expensive DH machines. Once the seal on the doors is broken and visitors browse around, leaving body moisture from the latent heat of their bodies, it takes 24 to 72 hours for the humidity in the spaces to be reduced after the doors are resealed.

The DH machines are on a 440 volt AC system and the museum has to watch its dollars on the electric bills (using municipal shore power) to stay in business.

Comment

Interesting reasoning. I never would have thought of that. Maybe I could just leave a few of those little desiccant packets behind in each room i visit.

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
            Interesting reasoning. I never would have thought of that. Maybe I could just leave a few of those little desiccant packets behind in each room i visit.
            Actually, there are also desiccant containers in the voids and tanks. They are a flat can about 6-inches in diameter with holes on both sides to absorb the moisture.

Even then, if humidity inspections show an increase in humidity in the space(s), the cans can be removed and "baked" in an oven for a couple of hours on a low heat to drive the moisture back out. Then they can be used again.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              A SHIPALT was written by NAVSEA to increase the sizes of those scuttles and at the bottom of the trunks install self closing Eliason doors. The existing doors at the bottom are 4-dog 18 X 36 manual doors.

The Eliason doors would have required enlarging the bottom of the trunk extensively, relocate piping and (worst of all) relocate reach rod handwheels to the main injection scoops. Also, those doors only allow one man at a time to enter because of blockage of the ladderway.

So I designed a larger quick acting door cut down from a standard size door that would fit without enlarging the trunk and allow all personnel into the trunk leaving the last man to merely close the door.

My design was adopted by NAVSEA but then the BB's were ordered out of service.
              This is the area of the lower escape trunk Rusty is talking about above. This is Fire Room #4 escape scuttle to Broadway.;)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 Jan 09,, 18:43.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Wow! Great pic's! Looks a lot like the interior of the Hornet (no coincidence there, I'm sure). I'll be visiting the Hornet again in a few months, and will be taking the "grand tour" again; I'll try & remember to take some pictures this time. On the "grand tour", they take you down into the engine room, the catapult room, broadway (of course), and the torpedo room. Last time I was there, I made friends with one of the docents, and he took us to some restricted spaces (pretty cool), like the 5" shell loading room and the foc'sle, right under the forward flight deck.
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The Powerplant installed in the Midway class carriers is based on the Iowa class, the main differance is that they added 4 more boilers to the plans and these were subdivided with ever greater redundancy then any class of ship before, each engine room had 3 boilers attached to it, There were 2 boilers on one side of the ship with the 3rd being on the other side, this was to make it easier to switch in case of a torpedo hit.

The engines and shafting were the same, the propellors were interchangeable between the Midway's and the Iowa's, but not with the Essex class.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadnaughtHelper View Post
                    The engines and shafting were the same, the propellors were interchangeable between the Midway's and the Iowa's, but not with the Essex class.
                    Have to disagree with that. When LBNSY changed out the propellers of the Missouri I happened to walk by the propeller shop and noted the 4 "new" (repaired and re-annealed) propellers for the Mo. They were there as No. 1 prop (4-bladed stbd outbd) had a 1" nick in the blade edge after being clipped by a fork lift and needed repair and rebalancing. So I pulled my notebook out and took some notes (that page is in front of me at this moment).

The specs engraved on it were; serial no. 5232, 18'-3" dia., 39,792 lbs

No. 2 prop (5-bladed, stbd inbd); serial no. 5237, 17'-0" dia., 40,032 lbs.

No. 4 prop (4-bladed, port outbd); serial no. 5235, 18'-3" dia., 40,725 lbs.

No. 3 prop (5-bladed, port inbd); serial no. 18570, 17'-0" dia., 43,290 lbs.
                    and it was also engraved ESSEX CLASS and had been reconditioned at Avondale 1-3-1985.

Comment

For those of you not familiar the prop shafts are numbered from the starboard (right) side out 1,2,3 & 4.;)

Comment

A very good picture of USS Iowa leading two CVBG's into the bay.:)) Note: The puff of white steam, obviously having just blown her whistle for getting underway and the Port side anchor is still being hauled up. The black smoke is her powerplant loading up. Now thats what I call a "Full Tool Box":))
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 Feb 09,, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          For those of you not familiar the prop shafts are numbered from the starboard (right) side out 1,2,3 & 4.;)
                          So, why don't they number them even to port and odd to starboard like everything else on the ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                            So, why don't they number them even to port and odd to starboard like everything else on the ship?
                            If not mistaken it is/was customary to be docked on the starboard side especially for the CV's to be able to utilize the elevators for boarding ways into the hangar area and cargo. For the others it was customary to have the angular slanted boarding ways to starboard down the sides (old school) because that was where the OOD was stationed..starboard side superstructure fore just beyond turret two looking aft. The RN I believe was different though back then and had them to port.

Also in the picture her port side launch is just being raised.

Pal, if you notice even in Pearl Harbor 1941 The BB's were primarily docked starboard side to the quays. Perhaps tradition unless unable to do so or perhaps the fueling set ups for them were on that side even then as they are with the Iowas today. Soon as they returned to port SOP was to refuel right away. And if you notice on the CV's the majority of the elevators are on the Starboard side.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 11 Feb 09,, 22:34.

Comment

You got any more pics like that, dreadnought? I've seen most of the Iowa class pics available on the various websites out there, but I haven't seen that one before.

Comment

Wow what a amazing sight! Just set that last picture as my desktop. That is what you call a fleet and a half... simply amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X