Congratulations South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations South Africa

I would like to offer my congratulations to the South African Cricket team for its first ever series win in Australia.

We have been outplayed in successive tests & I expect more to follow. I have been particularly impressed with the quality of the young players in the team. De Villers, Amla, Duminy, Steyn, Morkel & Harris have shown a skill, spirit & consistency sadly lacking in many Australian players. Smith has led his team well & helped them to push past the mental barriers that have dogged previous teams.

South Africa can now rightfully claim to be the premier test playing nation in the world and has within it a group of young players capable of holding that spot for some time. I hope that we can take it back off you soon.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    I would like to offer my congratulations to the South African Cricket team for its first ever series win in Australia.

We have been outplayed in successive tests & I expect more to follow. I have been particularly impressed with the quality of the young players in the team. De Villers, Amla, Duminy, Steyn, Morkel & Harris have shown a skill, spirit & consistency sadly lacking in many Australian players. Smith has led his team well & helped them to push past the mental barriers that have dogged previous teams.

South Africa can now rightfully claim to be the premier test playing nation in the world and has within it a group of young players capable of holding that spot for some time. I hope that we can take it back off you soon.
    Thankyou very much,i still cannot believe it ,but i think the coach has a lot to do with it

Comment

Well done S/A over to you freddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Comment

Steyn rocked...and as always Ponting tried.
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Next Indian Target : South Africa :))
          Now that would be intense ! :))
          " THe SiLEnt KNighT.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Well done S/A over to you freddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
            Would like to see England winning in Austrailia. :))
            - Truth alone Triumphs -

Comment

well done South Africa!!
              The cricketing world is flat
              Keyboard is mightier than gun

Comment

Would like to see a complete sweep of aussies and a loss for them to start the new year so that the likes of Glenn Mcgrath who predicted a 3-0 sweep of SA will never thump their chest before a series and play mindgames with confidence.

Although it was tough luck for pointing to get out on 99 as he deserved a hundred.

Comment

We must be careful not to make the same mistakes as the Aussie,s when you had the likes of Warne,Magrath and a few others ,there did not seem to be any youngsters who where being groomed for test match cricket.

The Aussies had Ten years to find another good spinner.Warne was great but did they ever consider that these guys where going to retire cos when they did ,there was a huge vacuum created,i do not like to gloat but in this instance:)),the cricketing world put up with the aussies laughing at them everytime we played cricket ,now the wheel has turned

Comment

Originally posted by soutie View Post
                    We must be careful not to make the same mistakes as the Aussie,s when you had the likes of Warne,Magrath and a few others ,there did not seem to be any youngsters who where being groomed for test match cricket.

The Aussies had Ten years to find another good spinner.Warne was great but did they ever consider that these guys where going to retire cos when they did ,there was a huge vacuum created,i do not like to gloat but in this instance:)),the cricketing world put up with the aussies laughing at them everytime we played cricket ,now the wheel has turned
                    Soutie,

It is inevitable that after a period od dominance - in this case 13 years on top - that eventually it will become impossible to remain at the top. Keep in mind that we constantly replenished during that period - only Warne & NcGrath weer in the team thriugh that entire period, and even Warne was dropped on form.

We have a ready made replacement for McGrath - I'm sure you remember Stuart Clark. Unfortunately he is injured currently - there is only so much we can carry. We actually did have a backup spinner who would have walked into any team outside the subcontinent - MacGill. Unfortunately he decided to retire several years earlier than expected. We have actually tried very hard to find good young spinners, but it isn't easy. if it was, Sth Africa would have one (I like Harris, but he is no better than Hauritz or probably Kreja). I am confident that one or more of our young guys will develop, but it is not easy.

There are plenty of talented players of all ages in and out of the Australian team. You seem to forget that players to have won a permenant spot in recent years include both Clarks, Johnson, Katich, Haddin (another keeper-batsman averaging 40) and Hussey. Had Hayden, Lee & Hussey been in the form they were 12 months ago the series might have gone differently. As it is we have already picked some more young guys & over the next 12 months I would expect many more. We will spend some time at 2nd, 3rd or perhaps even 4th, then we will come back.

As for gloating, go right ahead. Here is what you won't get from us:

*endless whining about umpiring & accusations of 'bias'
                    *blaming everyone & everything but our own performances when we lose
                    *Threatening to withdraw from matches because we don't like umpires or their decisions
                    *Physical assaults on the 3rd umpire's room
                    *shirtfronting opposition players
                    *blaming the opposition every time we misbehave
                    *Match fixing

And if you think we were difficult to deal with when we were on top, wait until India actually achieves something. You may come to see our time on top with a hint of nostalgia.
                    sigpic

Comment

Who are you talking aboutas for the match fixing ,no ideabkaming the ref or umpire ,who did that
                      Assaulting the third umpire dressing room dunno

Comment

Who are you talking aboutas for the match fixing ,no ideabkaming the ref or umpire ,who did that
                        Assaulting the third umpire dressing room dunno
                        Soutie,

A collection of stuff Australia DIDN"T do over the past 15 years while it was apparently ruining the game of cricket.

It is a montage mostly made up of Indian, Sth African, Sri Lankan & Pakistani behaviour (possibly England too). If you listen to the chatter you might think that sledging & enthusiastic appealing (again, we weren't alone there) were the worst things to happen in the game over the past few decades.

(the late unlamented Cronje is believed to have been responsible for embedding a stump in the door of the 3rd umpire's room at Adelaide after a decision he didn't like).
                        sigpic

Comment

Soutie,

A collection of stuff Australia DIDN"T do over the past 15 years while it was apparently ruining the game of cricket.

It is a montage mostly made up of Indian, Sth African, Sri Lankan & Pakistani behaviour (possibly England too). If you listen to the chatter you might think that sledging & enthusiastic appealing (again, we weren't alone there) were the worst things to happen in the game over the past few decades.

(the late unlamented Cronje is believed to have been responsible for embedding a stump in the door of the 3rd umpire's room at Adelaide after a decision he didn't like).
                          Big fella i am teasing youi know that South African players where no angels;)but even though i played a fairly high level of Rugby and cricket its only a game and should be enjoyed as such personally i do not think South Africa will be the number one side for long ,my eyes are on India.I agree maybe OZ are building up a new side and maybe number one again,however i think they will be hard pressed to produce the same caliber of players in likes of Warne Waugh brothers ,Ponting ,Mcgrath and The Healys,I mean that as complement .The England rugby team that won the world cup in 2003 was the best rugby team i have ever seen.It will take a long time to have a team that is half as good.Every now and then you will have a generation of players that are exceptional and a cut above the rest ,Ozzie had that and i think it is someone else turn now

Comment

Big fella i am teasing youi know that South African players where no angels;)but even though i played a fairly high level of Rugby and cricket its only a game and should be enjoyed as such personally i do not think South Africa will be the number one side for long ,my eyes are on India.I agree maybe OZ are building up a new side and maybe number one again,however i think they will be hard pressed to produce the same caliber of players in likes of Warne Waugh brothers ,Ponting ,Mcgrath and The Healys,I mean that as complement .The England rugby team that won the world cup in 2003 was the best rugby team i have ever seen.It will take a long time to have a team that is half as good.Every now and then you will have a generation of players that are exceptional and a cut above the rest ,Ozzie had that and i think it is someone else turn now

Soutie,

I have known all along that this winning run wouldn't last, I am just pleased & amazed it lasted as long as it did. It was REALLY fun while it lasted.:))

Sport at the elite level is a fickle beast. It can only take one or two missing or injured players or one or two brilliant new discoveries to turn a winner into a loser and back again. There is always a period of recovery when a great era comes to an end. My only wish has been that we don't fall the way we did after Chappell, Lillee & Marsh left in the early 80s or the way the Windies did in the 90s.

As for other teams, don't go assuming India is ready to chase you down quite yet. They are losing some champions too - Ganguly, Tendulkar & Laxman are soon to go, Kumble has & Dravid probably has. Huge shoes to fill, and leaving a team where Virender Sehwag & Harbhajan Singh are the senior players. Yikes!!

I think you guys are better positioned than anyone else to entrench yourselves at the top for a few years (until we are ready to put you back in your place :))).

p.s. Pleased to see someone with a clear-eyed view of their own sportsmen. Wish there was more of it.
                            sigpic

Comment

As for gloating, go right ahead. Here is what you won't get from us:

*endless whining about umpiring & accusations of 'bias'
                              *blaming everyone & everything but our own performances when we lose
                              Ponting blamed Billy Bowden for the Ashes defeat..WACA pitch for SA's win in the first test..slow over rate for not using his mainline bowlers at the Nagpur test after the series loss against India..

*Physical assaults on the 3rd umpire's room
                              *shirtfronting opposition players
                              Wouldn't dream of the Aussies doing something deplorable like that, do recall a certain leading wicket-taker getting banned for doping some years ago though

*blaming the opposition every time we misbehave
                              Australia has blamed others often enough and has been accused by not only by opposition sides but also a large no. of former players as being the most arrogant, misbehaving cry-babies around

*Match fixing
                              Of course not, thankfully cricket has been comparatively clearer of match fixing scandals..nothing terrible like the controversy involving Hansie Cronje, which incidentially IIRC involved Mark Waugh and Dean Jones too?

It is a montage mostly made up of Indian, Sth African, Sri Lankan & Pakistani behaviour (possibly England too).
                              Which means basically almost all other test playing teams except Australia? :))

If you listen to the chatter you might think that sledging & enthusiastic appealing (again, we weren't alone there)
                              No, you were not,you started the trend and took it to entirely new levels though..

You may come to see our time on top with a hint of nostalgia
                              :))Hopefully not.
                              When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X