Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness Tips

Hi

Just thought it would be nice , if some soldiers here could give us all, a few tips on keeping the nearest thing to us , our body , fit enough to fight anyday.

What is supposed to be the perfect/optimal diet when one goes to the gym daily ?

What if , you really really cant do a thing in the gym ? How do you cope with it and learn to do it ?

Could one drink water while working out in the gym ?

To what extent could one over-do a exercise ?

And please let us know your experiences with keeping your body fit.

And yes , i do know that Gin does help keep your body fit

As far as gym goes, try to get a gym buddy. Someone from your unit (if you're in the army), or a mate. This is a great help, especially when you're doing a lot of weights, and you need a spotter. It also helps if they know what to do, so they can show you. Depending on the gym, people will be happy to help you out anyway. I use an army gym, so that's cool, but public ones can be full of tossers who are concentrating on staring at themselves in the mirrors, so...

During pretty much any excercise, keep up your fluids.

Food-wise... I have no idea what people have to eat in india. I eat weet-bix & yoghurt most mornings, with lots of carbs during the day. I also play rugby, which is great for strength and fitness. Team sports are excellent for keeping up fitness, because you work as a team, and the motivation to keep up training etc is always there. (ie, you don't want to let the team down because you're unfit.)

When working in the gym, try to work a different set of muscles each day. For example, if you're doing weights, on monday work your shoulders, on tuesday work your chest, wednesday work your biceps/triceps, thursday work your back, and so on. You'll find after a decent workout you'll be too sore to do your shoulders two days in a row anyway.

I guess it really depends on what sort of fitness you want to develop. I'm a big guy, so I go for broke with strength training, and try to keep up my running skills. If you're a smaller bloke, maybe more fitness stuff might be up your alley.
    SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

A basic exercise and daily health plan:

Minimum 45 Pressups under 2minutes 50 Seconds (Daily)
      Minimum 50 Situps under 2 minutes 50 seconds (Daily)
      1.1/2 miles under 9 minutes falt (Daily).
      Green Tea, espically after diner.
      Vegi's (Very Important) Dont forget protine.

And if your into outdoor sports then either pack some good old Kendal Mint Cake or Nutri Gel, twinkies, protine shakes etc... any substitute to avoid you crashing!

A Fast Burn, low carb diet, very important for muscle development.

Ohh and forget the treadmill, a sweat filled, cosy room can never substitue for the fresh air and cool wind of a morning or evening jog. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk_eye
        Ohh and forget the treadmill, a sweat filled, cosy room can never substitue for the fresh air and cool wind of a morning or evening jog. :)
        Right!!
        Forget the gym (its a waste of money), unless you have hot leotard clad women there. ;)
        The best is to run in the morning or evening, but I recommend morning as it kicks up your metabolism and brightens up your day.
        After you run, do the push ups and pull ups for upper body and situps(for your abs). Stretch at the end for a cool down, its very important.
        Run - atleast 40 minutes a day. Do minimum 5km for any results. Increase your speed as reduce time as you build up stamina.
        Increase the number of pushups and pull ups each day.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Gym can really help you build up your strength. I mean, push-ups can only train you so far. If you want to train lifting heavy loads, you need a gym.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Ziska, Hawkeye, and Lemontree, I was wondering, I go to the local gym on a regular basis but after each time, I'm pretty hungry and usually come home and eat a bowl of cereal. Is that good or should I be eating something with more protein in it (like an egg or something like that)? Just curious because I want to get in better shape before I go off to college and get into good eating and physical activity habits so I can beat the "freshman 15" (the number of pounds you gain in your first year of college).
            Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

when do you go to the gym? If you go first thing in the morning, that's good.

It depends on what sort of work you do at the gym as well. If you are doing fitness stuff, carbs are what you need. Muscle building, protiens.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Well, first thing in the morning I eat breakfast, then go to school, eat lunch from 11:15 to 11:45 (water, 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a few carrots), then arrive at the gym around 12:45 in the afternoon and end around 2:15 in the afternoon.

Muscle-building is what I'm trying to do, like I'm trying to increase the weight every week or two weeks by a little bit. I do three sets each time I go in, starting with my hightest amount of weight and 10 reps on all the machines and stations, 10 pounds or so less and 12 reps again on all of them again, and then another 10 pounds less and 14 reps on all of them again. In between each of these sets where I lower the weight, I jog/run a quarter of a mile.

Anyhow, so proteins would probably be best then, right? Would an egg be good enough (that's like the only thing I can cook)? Thanks for your advice on this.
                Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                  Gym can really help you build up your strength. I mean, push-ups can only train you so far. If you want to train lifting heavy loads, you need a gym.
                  Well, most of us in martial arts don't do too much weight training. We belive in strength that comes from conditioning. Heavy weights may give you the bulky look, but not necessary the same strenght.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

And I would have agreed with you back when I was really into Wing Chun Kung Fu. Now I play rugby and am in the army, I need to work my body differently. In the army I have to run around carrying heavy equipment. Pushups, jogging and isometric exercises can't replicate that. I need weights etc. I normally get saddled with the radio or one of the minimi's. Doing fire-and-movement with either of those totally sucks. Therefore, to make it easier in the future, I need to get used to moving heavier weights, and so on. I'm sure you get the logic.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                      And I would have agreed with you back when I was really into Wing Chun Kung Fu. Now I play rugby and am in the army, I need to work my body differently. In the army I have to run around carrying heavy equipment. Pushups, jogging and isometric exercises can't replicate that. I need weights etc. I normally get saddled with the radio or one of the minimi's. Doing fire-and-movement with either of those totally sucks. Therefore, to make it easier in the future, I need to get used to moving heavier weights, and so on. I'm sure you get the logic.
                      For rugby you would require weights to train I agree. But come on... not for hauling a minimi (7.1kg), it weighs less than the old L4 LMG(8.86kg).
                      If you can manage even 100 pushups and 20 chin ups per session, no one doing weights can beat you in any armwrestling match, and most heavy weapons will never be a problem. Except if you haul the base plate of an 81mm mortar, it pokes your back like hell. If weight training was that important then the army's PTI would make you do it.
                      The best way to feel your weapon like a feather is to train more with it.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Yes the minimi is lighter than other MG's. It's still bloody heavy, and I'm a wuss.

I also agree that the best way to train would be to carry it around all the time, but I'm in the reserve, and only get to use weapons on course (it's not like they let us take 'em home). So, inbetween training courses, I have to do something.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

For protein needs, I would recommend boneless, skinless chicken breast and tuna. Very high protein, also low-calorie and low-fat. Yogurt is also good for protein.

4 ounces of chicken breast has 110 calories and 23g of protein. 5 ounces of tuna has 150 calories and 26g protein. Both have very little fat.
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Thanks Ironduke.

Comment

I've heard that eating every 2-3 hours is good for staying fit (meaning 5-6 relativly small meals instead of 3 large ones). This is because the longer you go without eating, the more your body attempts to preserve fat, in another words, the body moves into starvation-prevention mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X