U.S. Confirms Iran Bought SA-20 Missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by georgie View Post
    if i am out of tune why are u.s. Think tanks worried about china's latest acquisitions.
    Name One!

Comment

Originally posted by Georgie View Post
      So you claim to be a fountain of knowledge. I happen to live in qld. as it is the most desirable state to live in Aus. some 1000+ migrate here every week. as for inbreeding I think not. Whith a Geman mother and a Belgian father.The most embarassing time in my life was on a flight over seas with a mob of footballers from N.S.W. Talk about yobo's. I think we should be a little carefull about insulting one another. A lot of expert's have viewed carriers as obselete big target needs a lot of protection. If I am out of tune why are u.s. think tanks worried about China's latest acquisitions.
      Mate, its a good old Aussie tradition called taking the piss... feel free to shoot them back as much as i give them but please dont have a cry.

Yes carriers themselves are big targets, but they are also amazing assets and as such they are probably the most heavily protected warships sailing the seas. Used properly and protected properly carrier groups are designed to withstand multi-regimental maritime bomber strikes as well as hordes of submarines... Killing a carrier isnt impossible for countries like China and Russia but its not something thats going to be done in a pain free way. Achieving a mission kill on a carrier at the expense of wasting a goodly portion of your maritime strike and submarine force really isnt worth it especially when the US has 12 of them.

If you want to use think tanks as an example then please show me a link. You need to read between the lines when the certain groups and individuals talk up enemy capabilities. A prime example of this is Australias own Karlo Kopp. The dude has a hard on for the F22 and as such talks up advanced Flankers to be something that they currently are not in order to make his argument that Superbugs and the JSF couldnt handle them and as such Australia needs the F22. Its not good enough to just read something somewhere and parrot it, use your intelligence and find out who wrote it, what barrow he/she has to push and what way they lean politically.
      The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by KRON1 View Post
        Not while we are there. In the near future, Iraq is going to have hundreds of M1A1s, 2000 US upgraded T-72s, and a whole fleet of F-16 Block 50s. Iran won't stand a chance trying to invade this one.

You overlook the cultural aspect of it... Do you think the Iraqi shias would fight the Iranians when they do ? Since shias make a sizeable portion of the population in Iraq- Iran only has to star a hint of a civil war..and then move-in "in support of our shia brothers" ... there is no saddam this time to rally the troops... no able leader= a walk over..

Comment

I am well aware the u.s. spends as much as the rest of the world combined for now. A large portion goes on personel. The U.S. even without it's allies has the ability to defeat any adversary but it lacks the will to do so. Currently there are 25,000 desserters, mr. Sherpard I think is causing a headache in Germany.{ seeking asylam}. I agree with mercenary once the u.s. pull out which they will. Nth. Iraq will more than likely fall to the Turks, the rest will fall to the Iranian backed Shia. Eventualy the same thing will happen in the Ghan. Support for the war is waning only about 40% support in Aus. Nth. Pakistan is vertualy Taliban controlled. Answer to officer of engineers I believe China's expanding fleet of type093 and type094 nuke attack subs.

Comment

The U.S. even without it's allies has the ability to defeat any adversary but it lacks the will to do so.
            And yet, neither Iran nor North Korea are pushing for war.

Currently there are 25,000 desserters, mr. Sherpard I think is causing a headache in Germany.{ seeking asylam}.
            Source?

I agree with mercenary once the u.s. pull out which they will. Nth. Iraq will more than likely fall to the Turks, the rest will fall to the Iranian backed Shia.
            The US is pulling out as per their forces reduction agreement and nothing of the sort is happening.

Eventualy the same thing will happen in the Ghan.
            Balkanization in Afghanistan has not happenned in the past, why should it happen now?

Support for the war is waning only about 40% support in Aus.
            Neither here nor there.

Nth. Pakistan is vertualy Taliban controlled.
            And yet, the Pakistani Army has yet to be evicted and no one is trying to evict them.

Answer to officer of engineers I believe China's expanding fleet of type093 and type094 nuke attack subs.
            And if you did not know it, your Navy has already collected their accoustic signatures, never mind the USN.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
              You overlook the cultural aspect of it... Do you think the Iraqi shias would fight the Iranians when they do ? Since shias make a sizeable portion of the population in Iraq- Iran only has to star a hint of a civil war..and then move-in "in support of our shia brothers" ... there is no saddam this time to rally the troops... no able leader= a walk over..
              Persians hate Arabs, they speak different languages, they have different values and they fought a war killing millions only a generation ago. While the rhetoric from militias may be disconcerting, Iraq is still nationalistic and makes that known every day.

Comment

Re dessertions. It depends on who you believe wwwmetafilter.com says 40,000 desserters, 25,000 say the Iraq veterans against the war. The pentagon on the other hand say 8,000. I see no reason for the vets to lie. Corey Glass in Canada and Andre Shepherd are but 2 high profile ones due to political implications in their host countries. Thanks for the news about the subs I had no idea our leaky old tubs were that capable ,never believe congress think tank again. Time will tell in Iraq. A recent documentery showed interviews in Kabul . The West and it's allies are clearly not liked. Refered to as the non muslim presence. I can't see the West staying for decades.

Comment

Re dessertions. It depends on who you believe wwwmetafilter.com says 40,000 desserters, 25,000 say the Iraq veterans against the war. The pentagon on the other hand say 8,000. I see no reason for the vets to lie.
                  Out of the three, only the Pentagon got access to the real numbers since JAG is the only one who compiled desertion charges. While the veterans may not lie, their access to the raw numbers is serverely suspect. How do they tell the difference between AWOL and Desertion.

Corey Glass in Canada and Andre Shepherd are but 2 high profile ones due to political implications in their host countries.
                  Thus far, there are less than a handful who asked for asylum, in the low tens which does not add up to even 100, let alone 25,000. The numbers I've seen which includes those hiding (ie, not asked for asylum) are less than 200.

Those who asked are being processed to be shipped back to the US.

Thanks for the news about the subs I had no idea our leaky old tubs were that capable
                  Subs ain't the only thing your navy has.

,never believe congress think tank again.
                  I never trust think tanks. I trust the author and then only with in a very limited way. I trust Bill Gates and Rick Fisher in providing the raw intelligence but their conclusions are whacked out. If you believe your think tank is worthwhile, then post the study and watch it being challenged.

Time will tell in Iraq.
                  The violence has subsided. Whether people are just buying time to dig out their guns or really want peace is to be determined. However, the political process is going full steam ahead, hardly a sign of pending civil war.

A recent documentery showed interviews in Kabul . The West and it's allies are clearly not liked.
                  The Taliban and Al Qaeda scored even lower than us.

Refered to as the non muslim presence. I can't see the West staying for decades.
                  Never was the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by KRON1 View Post
                    Persians hate Arabs, they speak different languages, they have different values and they fought a war killing millions only a generation ago. While the rhetoric from militias may be disconcerting, Iraq is still nationalistic and makes that known every day.
                    Iraq is nationalistic only until the external presence in their country remains..once US pulls out.. then for the Iranians to ferment trouble(if they want to) would be like lighting a match near a fuel barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
                      Iraq is nationalistic only until the external presence in their country remains..once US pulls out.. then for the Iranians to ferment trouble(if they want to) would be like lighting a match near a fuel barrel
                      Maybe, but if Iran starts rolling tanks across the border you will see a different Iraqi attitude, even among the Shia. When united behind a common cause, they can put rivalries aside. Even the Sunnis had little trouble turning in their own when they were blowing up their loved ones.

Comment

chakos you might like to check out some sites if you think they ain't a scientific reality yet.[ Force Fields] www space.com,businesstech/cold plasma.they have been working on it since 2000. Rutherford Appleton labs,are also in experimental mode. Biomolecular D.E.Shaw force field development. You can bet there further advanced than there letting on.

Comment

chakos you might like to check out some sites if you think they ain't a scientific reality yet.[ Force Fields] www space.com,businesstech/cold plasma.they have been working on it since 2000. Rutherford Appleton labs,are also in experimental mode. Biomolecular D.E.Shaw force field development. You can bet there further advanced than there letting on.
                          And the Russians are about to fly aircraft fitted with plasma stealth, and the Chinese are bout to fit anti-shipping warheads onto their DF21 IRBMs and the US is about to put up into orbit the 'Rods from God' orbital weapons system....

Not saying that the tech wont arrive in service ever but id prefer to discuss whats actually in service at the moment or at least in prototype form. Emerging tech is just that, noone for sure knows if and when it will be available for service.
                          The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Force fields are a long way off. I can't regurgitate the reason why, but it was explained to me by a Scientist friend that works for a Private company and U.C.S.D.

Comment

Working...
                            X