No announcement yet.

WAB Library/Bookstore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I recommend this book - a new one from David Kilcullen. Couldn't see it in the 'COIN...' section. I haven't read it, but the reputation of the author is sufficient. Have seen him do some media for the release - every bit as impressive as I expected.

http://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Gue...8228988&sr=8-1

Shek has probably read it already.:))
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Can I recommend this book - a new one from David Kilcullen. Couldn't see it in the 'COIN...' section. I haven't read it, but the reputation of the author is sufficient. Have seen him do some media for the release - every bit as impressive as I expected.

http://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Gue...8228988&sr=8-1

Shek has probably read it already.:))
      I don't like Australians ;)

Seriously, it hasn't been in the bookstore here yet despite me telling them twice that it would fly off the shelves if they ordered it. Besides, I'm teaching three different courses this semester which has essentially quashed my book reading to date.
      Last edited by Shek; 28 Mar 09,, 12:52.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Nagl Reviews Filkens, Woodward, and Robinson

John Nagl offers his thoughts on the latest from these three writers, all offering perspectives on the Iraq war from a variety of angles and locations reaching Riley and Leavenworth through Washington to Iraq-all battlefields of one sort or another.

There are perspectives to these books of which I was unaware. I didn't know that Filkens had his own intense pre-2001 exposure to the taliban in Kabul.

I hadn't known as Shek, Bigfella, and I debated a discarded legacy of accumulated COIN acumen that our Vice Chief of Staff in 2003, Jack Keane, was a 'Nam vet himself.

Perspective personified and full-circle indeed.

By itself, the review is equally worthy as Nagl interjects his place in all of this. Clearly, he's well-suited for a variety of reasons in passing review. Enjoy and I'll be looking for all of these at my local library soon-

John Nagl Reviews Filkens, Woodward, and Robinson-Azure Online
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• WAB Bookstore?

Hey what happened to the WAB bookstore? I noticed it is missing? Is it down permanently? Or is this just a part of restructuring and it will be back up again?

Comment

• History of the U.S. Air Force

Dear all,

I am looking for a book that trace the development of US Air Force from WWII to 21st Cent. A book that doesnt get too technical when it comes to technical details nor a book that talks about the organizational structure of the USAF.

Any suggestions is highly apperciate it.

Beyond the Wild Blue: A History of the U.S. Air Force, 1947-2007
            I found this one from Amazon. Hadnt read it but from the reviews it looks to be a detailed look at the history of organizational structure of the USAF, which is not exactly what I am looking for.

Starting Something Big: The Commercial Emergence of GE Aircraft Engines
            I also found this one; but it seems to be focus entirely on GE engines.

As an example, what I am really looking for is why Air Force went with F-16 and why it chose that engine as oppose to a GE engine. Or what really pushed the development of F-15 in the 70s, which was Mig-25. Or why the Air Force shifted from Pratt & Whitney engines and move toward GE engines in the 70s. How about the development of B-1A and the subsequent development of B-1B. What was the force behind that. Or some high-level details about tankers and cargo planes that were and are in use today. And high-level details about the development of F-22 and F-35 and their choice of suppliers.

Thanks in advance for any comment and feedback

Comment

• Kennett: The First Air War: 1914-1918

Koburger: The Central Powers in the Adriatic, 1914-1918: War in a Narrow Sea

Lettow-Vorbeck: My Reminiscences of East Africa

Massie: Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea

Remarque: All Quiet on the Western Front

Comment

• Just finished this one. Found it to be an incredible read.

The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia (Kodansha Globe)

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Game-St...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Comment

• Any recommendations for these new categories would be very welcome (cough RB and Ytlas).

Comment

• A small selection of reading of what happened and how in post Soviet Muscovy that lead them to where there are today:

'Blowing up Russia' by Alexander Litvinenko and Yuri Feltshinsky. An insiders view on the Chechen wars and Moscow 'apartment bombings' by the 'agencies of coercion'. Do not get caught with this book in Muscovy; it is banned there and therefore should be read.

'The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB' by Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan. A fairly detailed account of who went where and the history and influence of the Andropov influenced KGB people.

'Red Notice' by Bill Browder. The history behind the death of Sergei Magnitsy and the sanctions laws that followed. Needs an update in my view.

'The Invention of Russia: From Gorbachev’s Freedom to Putin’s War' by Arkady Ostrovsky. A good primer covering alot of time since the end of the USSR. Decent description of post 'apartment bombing' FSB run terrorism - Beslan in particular.

'Mafia State' by Luke Harding. Journalists experiences in Moscow.

'Putin's Kleptocracy Who owns Russia?' by Karen Dawisha. A serious academic, researched, account of Putin's rise. Probably the best book on the subject but might be hard to read (alot of names of companies and people) unless you have some prior understanding.

Comment

• Snapper,

Have you read this one ?
                      All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir PutinS

I haven't but heard a lot reviews on it. Apparently, unlike other Putin related books that narrate the same story, this one talks specifically about his entourage, who they are and what they want.

Wheel of Fortune: The Battle for Oil and Power in Russia

This one i have read. Again the focus us not on Putin but other characters, which makes it more interesting.

Comment

• The Sword of Persia: Nader Shah, from Tribal Warrior to Conquering Tyrant

Just finished reading this one. Pretty good. A tyrant at the end for sure, but exactly what Persia needed (before he goes crazy) at that time to push back its enemies. Otherwise, the nation would have been gobbled up with the Russian and Ottomans into nothingness, like Poland. The author does a really good job of covering the different Iranian tribes as well like the Qajars, Bakhtiaries, Zand, Safavids and Afsharies. It was like reading a game of thrones novel where they were all plotting for the throne. Interestingly, the British author makes a point that Western historians typically didn't want recognize Nader for his military achievement, because at that time it was fashionable to see non-Europeans as weak.

Another interesting point is how much the centre of Nader's power was in Turan as oppose to Iran proper with his capital in Mashhad, given his turkic background. That in fact he was a Sunni muslim. One happy outcome of his turbulent reign was the birth of the Afghan nation under one of his generals: Ahmad Khan who became Ahmad Shah who founded that kingdom.

Highly recommend, for anyone interesting in post-Safavid Iran

Next on my list is:
                        The Last Mughal: The Fall of a Dynasty: Delhi, 1857
                        Last edited by xerxes; 17 Aug 17,, 02:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                          Snapper,

Have you read this one ?
                          All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir PutinS

I haven't but heard a lot reviews on it. Apparently, unlike other Putin related books that narrate the same story, this one talks specifically about his entourage, who they are and what they want.
                          Yes, very good as well and apparently based on interviews with members of the inner circle.

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                          like Poland
                          Don't know if you are aware of this but the old Polish legend of our origins is that we (the Poles) were Sarmatians from Iran. (See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatism)

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            Don't know if you are aware of this but the old Polish legend of our origins is that we (the Poles) were Sarmatians from Iran. (See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatism)
                            hehe
                            That explains Russian's historical desire to dominate both countries
                            They know something we don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                              hehe
                              That explains Russian's historical desire to dominate both countries
                              They know something we don't.
                              Strictly speaking,Iranic peoples spread from Nistru to Altai.They are only unifyers of the Aryans :))) And I know idiots would jump ar this word.

A bit serious,is likely the ethnonym of out PIE ancestors was Aryan.The words for South,slave and slaver in a few Finno-Ugric languages are derived from Aryan.Meaning they were neighbours once and hâd some sort of contact :))
                              Those who know don't speak
                              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Interestingly enough.
                                Iran stands for land of Aryans.

The father of the late Shah had renamed Persia into Iran in the 30s, as he wanted to move away from Qajars-era negativity that surrounded the name Persia. Let's just say the Qajars lost a lot of Persia's territory to Russia in the North not to mention losing Herat and surrounding territories in the east. I guess he was looking for a new dawn sort of thing. A reset. Little he knew that 50 years later, the name of Iran would be stained in turn. With both the name of Persia and Iran stained, we might have no choice but to rename it Disneyland next time around.

But i say let's keep the name Iran. To hell what people thinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X