WAB Library/Bookstore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    I had to revert a bunch of stuff. I'll be working on it later today, at the moment I have to run over to the hospital, my brother's having surgery.
    Hope everything is OK? God speed to your brother! :)
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
      Hope everything is OK? God speed to your brother! :)
      Gallstones. I think they're removing his gall bladder completely.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Ouch! I've never had gallstones but have heard they can be very painful!
        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
        sigpic

Comment

I had to revert a bunch of stuff. I'll be working on it later today, at the moment I have to run over to the hospital, my brother's having surgery.
          Hope everything turns out Ok for your brother.My wife had the arthroscopic gall bladder surgery which is much less invasive than traditional surgery.All the best to him:).
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Best wishes for him - it's a bugger of a thing to deal with.
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yuk! I hate when they have to remove stuff. All the best to him.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Hope things went okay with your brother, Ironduke!

Good stuff I've found to start collections with:

Napoleonics

David Chandler The Campaigns of Napoleon, The Oxford History of the British Army (editor, along with Ian Beckett), Napoleon's Marshals (editor)

Felix Markham Napoleon

Frank McLyn Napoleon

American Civil War

James M McPherson Battle Cry of Freedom

Shelby Foote The Civil War: A Narrative

Bruce Catton Army of the Potomac Trilogy

Douglas S Freeman Lee

Jean Edward Smith Grant

World War I

AJP Taylor The First World War

David Stevenson 1914-1918: The History of the First World War

Hew Strachan The First World War

John Keegan The First World War

Martin Gilbert Somme

Gary Mead The Good Soldier: The Biography of Douglas Haig
                Last edited by clackers; 16 Jan 09,, 00:04.

Comment

I'm half way through Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, from Fire to Freud, by Peter Watson
                  Astonishingly dense. Usually I can get through something like this in a week but I find myself having to go back and re-read chapters then sit and look at the stars for an hour or two to digest it and have had to re-assess my knowledge in a number of areas of history to re-align it with what I've learned here.
                  He's packed an enormous amount into it, not a sentence is wasted and while challenging is a thoroughly enjoyable read.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

''Breaking the phalanx''by Douglas MacGregor.
                    Those who know don't speak
                    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• I would add these as well, though I have not read them yet:

The House of Rothschild: Volume 1: Money's Prophets: 1798-1848
                      by Niall Ferguson

The House of Rothschild: Volume 2: The World's Banker: 1849-1999
                      by Niall Ferguson

The House of Morgan: An American Banking Dynasty and the Rise of Modern Finance by Ron Chernow

The Warburgs: The Twentieth-Century Odyssey of a Remarkable Jewish Family by Ron Chernow

Comment

• Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                        "The Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery" Paul Kennedy
                        ^^^
                        This one sounds very intresting ...

Does anyone know of a book that goes over the rise (and fall) of British empire from a more economic (and financial) point of view. A book does not get bogged down in boring social and religious history of England.

I know of Niall Ferguson work, but is there any other?

Comment

• Sorry guys, been a bit busy recently. Everything turned out alright for my brother, he recovered from the surgery very quickly. I'll make sure to get those books added ASAP.
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• NP,
                            Hope bro is doing well...

Comment

• I'm reading a classic at the moment. The Clash of Civilizations by Samuel Huntington. Very interesting.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Here is one I plan on reading soon.

"Loud and Clear: The Memoir of an Israeli Fighter Pilot"

Written by Iftach Spector who led the Israeli squadron that accidently attacked the US Naval vessel Liberty, participated in the attack on the Iraqi nuclear reactor, and was one of 27 Israeli pilots who wrote a letter refusing to attack Palestinian targets in Gaza. Sounds like a very interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                                X