No announcement yet.

WAB Library/Bookstore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great raid by William B Breuer- He has about 19 other titles as well that topic WWII.

The real wild west by Michael Wallis- He also has other titles that topic Route 66 and American culture.

The politically incorrect guide to...by Clint Johnson- I've read the PIG(pol inc gde) to the South and to the Constitution. He also has titles that cover the civil war and other books in the PIG series.

Comment

I've included an Amazon search box in the announcement:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/announcement.php?f=140

Any items purchased from searches started from the search box will be credited to WAB. I thank the members who've made purchased from the aStore and those planning to for their patronage. :)
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I will add several

Feel free to filter out what is irrelevent:

The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy by Kenneth Pomeranz

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some Are So Rich and Some So Poor by David S. Landes

A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World by William J. Bernstein

ReORIENT: Global Economy in the Asian Age by Andre Gunder Frank.

The Sword of Persia: Nader Shah, from Tribal Warrior to Conquering Tyrant

Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World

The Prize - The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power

Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time by

Every Man a Speculator: A History of Wall Street in American Life (P.S.) by Steve Fraser (Author) "Daniel Drew was a notorious speculator during Wall Street's early years, around the time of the Civil War..." (more)

Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country by William Greider (Paperback - Jan 15, 1989)

A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960 (Paperback)
        by Milton Friedman (Author), Anna Jacobson Schwartz (Author)

Russia's Oil Barons and Metal Magnates: Oligarchs and the State in Transition (Hardcover) by Stephen Fortescue (Author)

Comment

A few more suggestions. Sorry there are no links this time; for some reason I can't connect to Amazon right now.

Russo-Japanese War:

Connaughton: Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear: Russia's War with Japan

Warner: The Tide at Sunrise: A History of the Russo-Japanese War, 1904-05

WWI:

Anderson: The Forgotten Front: The East African Campaign 1914-1918

Farwell: The Great War in Africa, 1914-1918

Fredette: The Sky on Fire: The First Battle of Britain

Graves: Good-Bye to All That: An Autobiography

Kennett: The First Air War: 1914-1918

Koburger: The Central Powers in the Adriatic, 1914-1918: War in a Narrow Sea

Lettow-Vorbeck: My Reminiscences of East Africa

Massie: Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea

Remarque: All Quiet on the Western Front

Rickenbacker: Fighting the Flying Circus

Sassoon: Memoirs of an Infantry Officer

Saunders: Dominating the Enemy: War in the Trenches 1914-1918

Showalter: Tannenberg: Clash of Empires

Tuchman: The Guns of August

Winter War:

Chew: The White Death

Trotter: A Frozen Hell

Korea:

Appleman: South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu

Bruning: Crimson Sky: The Air Battle for Korea

Haas: In the Devil's Shadow: UN Special Operations During the Korean War

Halberstam: The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War

Heinl: Victory at High Tide: The Inchon-Seoul Campaign

Holober: Raiders of the China Coast: CIA Covert Operations During the Korean War

Owen: Colder Than Hell: A Marine Rifle Company at Chosin Reservoir

Zhang: Red Wings over the Yalu: China, the Soviet Union, and the Air War in Korea

Regional & Colonial:

Alvarez: The Betrothed of Death: The Spanish Foreign Legion During the Rif Rebellion, 1920-1927

Farwell: The Great Anglo-Boer War

Hall: Balkan Wars 1912-1913: Prelude to the First World War

Karsh: Empires of the Sand: The Struggle for Mastery in the Middle East, 1789-1923

Khodarkovsky: Russia's Steppe Frontier: The Making Of A Colonial Empire, 1500-1800

Knoll & Gann: Germans in the Tropics: Essays in German Colonial History

Linn: The U.S. Army and Counterinsurgency in the Philippine War, 1899-1902

Miller: Benevolent Assimilation: The American Conquest of the Philippines, 1899-1903

Mockler: Haile Selassie's War

Reitz: Commando: A Journal of the Boer War

Roth: Muddy Glory: America's Indian Wars in the Philippines

Other:

Pasternak: Doctor Zhivago

Comment

Granite, thanks for the suggestions. I've added all of them in all but the last category that Amazon has in stock, I'll have to think up a new category for regional and decolonization conflicts. xerxes, I'll be working on your suggestions tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by sdae102 View Post
              US Battleships 1941- 1963 an Illustrated Technical Reference by Wayne Scarpaci

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Battleships-1941-1963-Illustrated-Technical-Reference/dp/1438257449/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226703750&sr=1-2"]
              I'll be adding categories for Naval Warfare, Land Warfare, and Military Aviation tomorrow. Any recommendations for these new categories would be very welcome (cough RB and Ytlas).

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                The great raid by William B Breuer- He has about 19 other titles as well that topic WWII.

The real wild west by Michael Wallis- He also has other titles that topic Route 66 and American culture.

The politically incorrect guide to...by Clint Johnson- I've read the PIG(pol inc gde) to the South and to the Constitution. He also has titles that cover the civil war and other books in the PIG series.
                I don't have much time before work, but are these books and the ones you're referring to fiction or non-fiction?

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                  I've got a few for you Matt.

Terrors and Marvels-Tom Shactman/ WWII

War in the Boats-Capt.William J. Ruhe U.S.N.(Ret.)/ WWII

Guns,Germs and Steel-Jared Diamond/ Non-fiction

A Man Called Lion-Peter Hathaway Capstick/ Non-fiction

African Game Trails-Theodore Roosevelt/ Non-fiction

Among Warriors in Iraq-Mike Tucker/ Non-fiction

The Mighty Endeavor-Charles B. MacDonald/ WWII

American Warrior-Brig.Gen. John C. Bahnsen,Jr./ Vietnam

Theodore Roosevelt,A Life-Nathan Miller/ Non-fiction

The Cruise of the Sea Eagle-Blaine Pardoe/ WWI

The Man-Eaters of Tsavo-J.H.Patterson/ Non-fiction

That'll do for a start;).
                  Thanks, I've added the non-fiction books that can be placed with the current categories. I'll take a look at the other titles when I expand the categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    Granite, thanks for the suggestions. I've added all of them in all but the last category that Amazon has in stock, I'll have to think up a new category for regional and decolonization conflicts. xerxes, I'll be working on your suggestions tomorrow.
                    You're welcome. I will make more suggestions as they occur to me.

Another Amazon question: Is this just for Amazon US, or their international stores, as well?

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post

I don't have much time before work, but are these books and the ones you're referring to fiction or non-fiction?
                      The great raid you already have in movie form at the aStore. Its about the WWII Ranger rescue at Cabanatuan, non-fiction.

Michael Wallis is non-fiction, American history and pop-culture.

Clint Johnson is history and govt, non-fiction. I have the mentioned titles but like the Authors, plan on reading them sometime.

Comment

Neil Postman. Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business. Penguin USA, 1985. ISBN 0-670-80454-1

Aldous Huxley-Brave new world-fiction

Orwells 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                          You're welcome. I will make more suggestions as they occur to me.

Another Amazon question: Is this just for Amazon US, or their international stores, as well?
                          I don't know if it will work for international stores or not.

Comment

For the American Civil War:
                            The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (Fiction based on History/battle of Gettysburg)
                            The Longest Night: A Military History of the Civil War by David J. Eicher

American History:
                            Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian Toll
                            John Adams by David McCullough (Book and HBO Miniseries)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                              For the American Civil War:
                              The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (Fiction based on History/battle of Gettysburg)
                              The Longest Night: A Military History of the Civil War by David J. Eicher

American History:
                              Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian Toll
                              John Adams by David McCullough (Book and HBO Miniseries)
                              Thanks Johnny... I've got the two non-fiction military history titles you listed, but I've yet to create categories for fiction, and will need to create something for political history.

Comment

I don't know if it will work for international stores or not.
                                Could you check on that, please?

I am considering placing an order on amazon france in 1Q 2009.

Comment

Working...
                                X