Michael Scheurer
    ISBN 1-57488-967-2

Understanding Iraq
    William R. Polk
    ISBN-13:978-0-06-076469-2

Blackwater
    Jeremy Scahill
    ISBN 976-1-56858-394-5

The Commandant of the Marine Corps' Professional Reading list E4 (corporal)
    Thanks ragman, those titles have been added under the COIN & Terrorism category.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

gf0012-aust

BF, have you read Sextons "War for the Asking"?
      Read would be the wrong word. Like a lot of my books I have skimmed through & focussed on the bits I needed to for my thesis. I will be giving it a more thorough going over in a few months when I do a more comprehensive writeup of that section of my thesis.

My library is currently in storage (due to another series of shifts) but was close to 5500 titles (35+ years of collecting!)
      Something for me to aim for.:))
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        Albany Rifles, zraver, Bigfella, I have added all of the books you mentioned that Amazon has in stock to the bookstore.

Thanks matt.

If anyone is interested in more titles on Australia & Vietnam in particular let me know & I'll suggest some.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Albany Rifles, zraver, Bigfella, I have added all of the books you mentioned that Amazon has in stock to the bookstore.

Thanks Matt

I hope to augment the WW II titles and I should have some Revolutionary War and Mexican War titles to recommend come this weekend.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

author/member book suggestion

US Battleships 1941- 1963 an Illustrated Technical Reference by Wayne Scarpaci

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Battleships-1941-1963-Illustrated-Technical-Reference/dp/1438257449/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226703750&sr=1-2"]

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
              Why not use the catagories we use here, we are all already familiar with them.

Books like Sun Tzu would go in the staff college, books on the worlds wars into a world war catragory, general history, various regionals etc.
              I think that this is a sound idea. It would both reinforce the WAB categories for the members, and make a strong "branding presence" for non-member browsers.

I think that the "Vietnam War" category should be changed to reflect that books on the Indochina War may also be found there. I would suggest "Vietnam & Indochina Wars" as a category title, using Vietnam as the point of entry, since it will be familiar to a lot more site users.

I would also suggest that you change "Civil War Readings." Make it clear that it is the American war, and remove "Readings" as redundant to a booklist.

Let me add: No cataloging system is ever going to be perfect. Even with the full Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, Second Edition ("AACR2"), I have seen professional librarians - tenured academics - disagree about where to add a given book into the collection.

I'd just like to let everybody know, that I can custom make a category upon member request for any purchases. The prices would be the same as ordering it through the Amazon site, except that WAB would receive a 6% referral rate for the order, to be invested in the site. Simply paste the titles you wish to purchase here, and I'll make a temporary custom category temporarily for you.
              Is this just for books? Does it also include movies? music? any other items?

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                Is this just for books? Does it also include movies? music? any other items?
                Anything. The Vietnam and WWII categories have film categories at the moment. Everything listed on Amazon can be put in the store, and I'll place any requests in the "Member Requests" category upon receipt.

Comment

I tried to order Third Axis Fourth Ally. Amazon said they didn't have it but I could order used through one of their affiliates. Does the WAB get credit?
                  Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                  (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                    I tried to order Third Axis Fourth Ally. Amazon said they didn't have it but I could order used through one of their affiliates. Does the WAB get credit?
                    There's already been a purchase of that title through the bookstore, and we received credit. I think as long as the purchased is made starting with the link following it through, it'll give credit.

Comment

There's already been a purchase of that title through the bookstore, and we received credit. I think as long as the purchased is made starting with the link following it through, it'll give credit.
                      That would be me. I ordered it. Glad to help the WAB!
                      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                        That would be me. I ordered it. Glad to help the WAB!
                        Ah, in that case, thanks. Two more purchases through the site and we'll be increasing our referral rate from 4% to 6%.

Comment

A few more titles for the Politics section:

Double-Edged Diplomacy: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Double-Edged-Diplomacy-International-Bargaining-Political/dp/0520076826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230265741&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Double-Edged Diplomacy: International Bargaining and Domestic Politics (Studies in International Political Economy, No 25): Peter B. Evans, Harold K. Jacobson, Robert D. Putnam: Books[/ame]

Diplomacy: Theory and Practice by Berridge

Diplomacy: by Kissinger

Theories of War and Peace: International Security Reader (actually all the IS Readers would be good) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Theories-Peace-International-Security-Readers/dp/0262522527/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230265902&sr=1-25"]Amazon.com: Theories of War and Peace (International Security Readers): Michael E. Brown: Books[/ame]

Here's another one on WWI: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Military-Strategy-Origins-First-World/dp/0691022321/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230265877&sr=1-13"]Amazon.com: Military Strategy and the Origins of the First World War: An International Security Reader: Steven E. Miller: Books[/ame]

I assume Mearshimer's book has been selected: Tragedy of Great Powers Politics.

Also Kenneth Waltz: Man, the State, and War

Kagan, Donald: On the Origins of War: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Origins-War-Preservation-Peace/dp/0385423756/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230266592&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: On the Origins of War: And the Preservation of Peace: Donald Kagan: Books[/ame]

General Mil. History: Archer Jones, The Art of War in the Western World: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Western-World/dp/0252069668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230266839&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The Art of War in Western World: Archer Jones: Books[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Thanks Matt

I hope to augment the WW II titles and I should have some Revolutionary War and Mexican War titles to recommend come this weekend.
                            A.R. I was wondering if you have read K. Jack Bauer's The Mexican War? That's the only book I have on the Mexican War, just wondering how it compares to other authors/historians.

Also thinking of Revolutionary War books: Robert Middlekauf's The Glorious Cause is a good one for the store. http://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Cause.../dp/0195162471

Comment

A few suggestions for your Scifi category, Glen Cook's excellent Dread Empire Books

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cruel-Wind-Chronicle-Dread-Empire/dp/1597801046"]Amazon.com: A Cruel Wind: A Chronicle Of The Dread Empire: Glen Cook: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Shadow-Chronicle-Dread-Empire/dp/1597801003/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b"]Amazon.com: A Fortress In Shadow: A Chronicle Of The Dread Empire: Glen Cook: Books[/ame]
                              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Ah, in that case, thanks. Two more purchases through the site and we'll be increasing our referral rate from 4% to 6%.
                                Just a reminder to WAB member's to use the WAB Library/ Bookstore as a portal to do your normal Amazon purchases. I have it saved as a "favorite", replacing the previous one of Amazon.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X