WAB Library/Bookstore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I immodestly bring in my post from the Civil War booklist thread

A rambling, off the top of my head listing.

Western Theater

Peter Cozzens:

The Darkest Days of the War: The Battles of Iuka and Corinth

No Better Place To Die: The Battle of Stones River
    This Terrible Sound: The Battle of Chickamauga
    The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga

Wiley Sword

Shiloh, Bloody April

The Confederacy's Last Hurrah: Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville

Glenn Tucker Chickamauga: Bloody Battle in The West

Eastern Theater

Steven Sears

Landscape Turned Red
    Richmond Redeemed

Gordon Rhea
    The Battle of the Wilderness, May 5-6, 1864
    The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern, May 7-12, 1864
    To the North Anna River, May 13-26, 1864
    Cold Harbor: Grant and Lee, May 26 - June 3, 1864
    Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg! by George C. Rabble

A Wilson Greene
    Breaking the Backbone of the Rebellion
    Civil War Petersburg
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

matt,

when you get the chance, might be worth going over and expanding to a fiction section, maybe take a few of the books from the "what book are you reading?" thread.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

WWI-
        The Guns of August, Barbara Tuchman

WWII-
        Fire in the Sky, The Air War in the South Pacific: Eric M Beauregard (sp?)
        Hitlers Greatest Defeat, the Collapse of Army Group Centre, June 1944: Paul Adair
        With our backs to Berlin, The German Army in Retreat 1945: Tony Le Tissier
        Infantry Aces: The German Soldier in Combat in WWII:Franz Kurowski, David Johnston
        JG 26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe: Donal L Caldwell fwd by Adolf Galland

Other History-
        The Devils Horseman, The Mongol Invasion of Europe: James Chambers

Comment

Edward Luttwak and Martin van Creveld´s books would be appropriate
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Matt,

Love the site. Checked out the Vietnam section - excellent selections all (do I detect Shek's fingerprints?:)).

Here are a few suggestions from me from my area of study & beyond. All are available on Amazon.

Vietnam

Why The North Won The Vietnam War by Marc Jason Gilbert : An excellent recent collection of essays by some of the finest authors in the field.

ARVN: Life And Death in the South Vietnamese Army by Robert K. Brigham: One of the few books about the ARVN – a perspective that is still virtually unheard. Covers the entire history of the ARVN.

Vietnam: Explaining America's Lost War (Contesting the Past) by Gary R. Hess:For anyone interested in how debates on the history of the war have ebbed & flowed.

Vietnam's Forgotten Army: Heroism and Betrayal in the ARVN by Andrew Wiest: Another fine recent work focusing more on the careers of a few officers.

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason: Classic first person account of the war

China and the Vietnam Wars, 1950-1975 by Qiang Zhai: Good coverage of an often overlooked aspect of the war (would love to get Astralis or OoE’s opinion on it).

Ho Chi Minh: A Life by William J. Duiker: Best available bio of Ho by one of the foremost Western scholars in the field.

How We Lost the Vietnam War by Nguyen C. Ky: Written a year after the fall of Saigon by former RVN PM. The Southern view of the war remains under-represented. This is pure polemic, but still valuable.

Novel without a Name by Duong Thu Huong: In a similar vein to ‘The Sorrow of War’. An outstanding account of life in war.

The Perfect War: Technowar in Vietnam by James William Gibson: A left wing analysis of the war focusing on the negative impact of the use of modern management techniques on the Pentagon & US Military.

The War Managers by Douglas Kinnard: Based on a survey of almost 200 Generals who served in Vietnam done in 1974. Utterly unique.

Australia's Vietnam War by Jeffrey Grey (Editor), Peter Pierce (Editor), Jeff Doyle (Editor): An outstanding & groundbreaking collection of essays on Australia in Vietnam.

Vietnam - the Australian War by Paul Ham: The definitive single volume account of Australia & Vietnam. Unfortunately very expensive on Amazon. Hopefully the release of the paperback will bring it down.

WW2

Nazi Germany and the Jews: Volume 1: The Years of Persecution 1933-1939 by Saul Friedlander

The Years of Extermination: Nazi Germany and the Jews, 1939-1945 by Saul Friedlander: This recently released 2 volume work by one of the leading authors on the holocaust is one of the best works of this size on the holocaust.

The Nature of Fascism by Roger Griffin: An actual academic work on fascism by possibly the leading author on the subject. If you only buy one book on the subject, pick this.

A Bastard of a Place: The Australians in Papua by Peter Brune: Probably the leading author on WW2 in Papua-New Guinea. If you have any interest in this aspect of WW2, buy this book.
            Last edited by Bigfella; 23 Dec 08,, 11:15.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

BF, have you read Sextons "War for the Asking"?

My library is currently in storage (due to another series of shifts) but was close to 5500 titles (35+ years of collecting!)

But I do have some favourites:

"The Star Captains - Frigate Command in the Napoleonic Wars" by Tom Wareham

"Salt and Steel - Reflections of a Submariner" Edwatd Beach

"The Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery" Paul Kennedy

"Sunburst - The Rise of Japanese Airpower 1909-1941" Mark Peattie

"Clash of the Carriers" Barret Tillman"

"1759 - The Year that Britain became Master of the World" Frank McLynn

"The Boats of Cherbourg - The Secret Israeli Operation that Revolutionized Naval Warfare" Abraham Rabinovitch

"The Attack on Taranto - Blueprint for Pearl Harbour" Lowry and Wellham

"The Black Prince and the Sea Devils, The story of Valerio Borghese and the Elite Units of the Decima Mas" Greene and Massignani. (basically these guys started the first real maritime special warfare groups)

"Britains Greatest Defeat, Singapore 1941" Alan Warren.

I've re-read the above in the last few years (again), so must have enjoyed them :)
              Last edited by gf0012-aust; 23 Dec 08,, 11:53. Reason: typo fix
              Linkeden:
              http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
              http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'll work tomorrow to get most of these titles incorporated into the store. As you can all see, it's barely developed at the moment, but is going to have alot more work put into it.

Any suggestions on categorization of the store itself would be very helpful as well.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                  I'll work tomorrow to get most of these titles incorporated into the store. As you can all see, it's barely developed at the moment, but is going to have alot more work put into it.

Any suggestions on categorization of the store itself would be very helpful as well.
                  Why not use the catagories we use here, we are all already familiar with them.

Books like Sun Tzu would go in the staff college, books on the worlds wars into a world war catragory, general history, various regionals etc.

Comment

I love this idea.

Lone Survivor - Book written by the sole remaining SEAL survivor of Operation Red Wing in Afghanistan.
                    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lon...9780316067607/

Shooter - Written by top Marine sniper Jack Coughlin.
                    http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Shooter%...NsawNib29rcw--

I have to go now, but I'll have a bigger list.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      Why not use the catagories we use here, we are all already familiar with them.
                      why not just stick with Dewey? It's an international library standard and might make cross referencing etc easier all round?
                      Linkeden:
                      http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                      http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'd just like to let everybody know, that I can custom make a category upon member request for any purchases. The prices would be the same as ordering it through the Amazon site, except that WAB would receive a 6% referral rate for the order, to be invested in the site. Simply paste the titles you wish to purchase here, and I'll make a temporary custom category temporarily for you.

Comment

Albany Rifles, zraver, Bigfella, I have added all of the books you mentioned that Amazon has in stock to the bookstore.

Comment

I've got a few for you Matt.

Terrors and Marvels-Tom Shactman/ WWII

War in the Boats-Capt.William J. Ruhe U.S.N.(Ret.)/ WWII

Guns,Germs and Steel-Jared Diamond/ Non-fiction

A Man Called Lion-Peter Hathaway Capstick/ Non-fiction

African Game Trails-Theodore Roosevelt/ Non-fiction

Among Warriors in Iraq-Mike Tucker/ Non-fiction

The Mighty Endeavor-Charles B. MacDonald/ WWII

American Warrior-Brig.Gen. John C. Bahnsen,Jr./ Vietnam

Theodore Roosevelt,A Life-Nathan Miller/ Non-fiction

The Cruise of the Sea Eagle-Blaine Pardoe/ WWI

The Man-Eaters of Tsavo-J.H.Patterson/ Non-fiction

That'll do for a start;).
                            Last edited by Shamus; 24 Dec 08,, 00:39.
                            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

GraniteForge, thanks, I've added all of the books except the one on the 30 years war, I think I'll have to create a new category.

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                                why not just stick with Dewey? It's an international library standard and might make cross referencing etc easier all round?
                                If library cataloging were to be used, I would greatly prefer using the Library of Congress system. It is also an international library standard, and the one more typically used in academic settings. Its also what I use at home for my own modest reference collection.

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                                GraniteForge, thanks, I've added all of the books except the one on the 30 years war, I think I'll have to create a new category.
                                You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X