This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    It's a trap, Andy, they are the ones who will be making your life miserable.
    Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    Indeed it is. :))

Welcome aboard Andy :)
    If you listen carefully enough you can hear the knives being sharpened in the background Andy.....
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

This is a great idea. China has already emerged though still developing. I want to see how they handle the islamic militancy within their borders & how they cooperate with us in US & in India containg the militant terrorists launching from Pakistan.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by drsambansal View Post
        This is a great idea. China has already emerged though still developing. I want to see how they handle the islamic militancy within their borders & how they cooperate with us in US & in India containg the militant terrorists launching from Pakistan.

Sam
        Even if china can’t be categorised with good friends right now, successful china will give a pretty good advantage to india. Emergence of china as a dominating power will result in a power shift towards Asia and will provide a better space for india for political bargainings in future.

There is a need to give enough strength to India-Russia-China group. Enough work is needed to built a level of confidence between India and China, for a combined benefits for these two developing nations and for a confident war against terrorism.

Comment

This is one of the more fascinating aspects of international politics to me. China for whatever reason fascinates me. I'd like to visit there someday, but I wish they were a bit more "open" to various social events and things (music, games, etc). Our relationship with them will be a major component to 21st century international affairs imo. It's like the Heavyweight boxing champ watching an up and comer in a way.

Thanks for making this forum. This was one of the forums that made me want to register actually.

Comment

thanks.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Oh a few weeks away saw such a big change in the forum, devoting a special column to China-related topics. COOOOOOOL!

Gongxi Xinhui!
              Gongxi Gongxi!
              :))

Comment

What about a general East Asia/Pacific forum? China's growth is important, but what about Russian Far East, ANZUS, Vietnam/Thailand & South East Asia, Taiwan and Japan/Korea.

Surely thats more important than looking at China's rise? Japan alone should have its own forum if its about big, potentially influential nation states.

Comment

Xinhui, I'm glad to see a forum devoted to China. xie xie!

Comment

I'm not sure if this the right place for this , but here goes.

Chinas economy has been a juggernaut for a while now. Her manufacturing industry has taken the world by storm. Here in Australia; almost everything is made in China. There is very little manufacturing done here now. It's impossible to make goods when the labour Dollar is so different. I see the price of things in the shops hear and wonder how they can sell things for the price they do.

An example is; I brought a 18 volt cordless drill a couple of months ago. It came with a spare battery and 85 piece drill and screwdriver set, all for $49.95. Now, I know you only get what you pay for, BUT, I've had numerous tools from this company in the past. They offer a 2 year REPLACEMENT WARRANTY on all their products. You can't beat that. Some of the tools I have bought have had issues and I have returned them for a brand new one.
                    I'm not a tradie, and I can't justify paying $375.00 for a brand name drill when I can buy one for $49.95.

The products coming out of China are getting better and better all the time. All the major manufacturers here source from China.

BUT, here's the kicker. The world wide finance issue that is sweeping the world is also effecting China in ways we may not be ready for. Because we have very little made here, I fear that Chinas economy is going to stumble and may even fall over. If it does, I believe the whole world will suffer dramatically dragging the world into an economic depressive.

But there may be a winner here. And that winner may be in the form of India. Both countries have massive populations to draw workers from. I've had dealings with Chinese businesses and found them extrenal difficult to do business with. India on the other hand is a dream to deal with.

Freddie
                    Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                    vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Freddie

Welcome to this corner of WAB and thanks for sharing your personal exp with us.
                      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Freeloader View Post
                        This is one of the more fascinating aspects of international politics to me. China for whatever reason fascinates me. I'd like to visit there someday, but I wish they were a bit more "open" to various social events and things (music, games, etc).
                        Indeed. While I was studying in the US there were so many Chinese people on the university but non of them ever wanted to hang out with any Americans, nor some other international students. And considering how many Chinese are studying in the US (and in the world), I am surprised that there are barely any movement for more demoratization, freedom of speech and human rights. All the attempts that happened came from some ethnic minorities like in Tibet and the recent unrests with Uighur people.

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                          BUT, here's the kicker. The world wide finance issue that is sweeping the world is also effecting China in ways we may not be ready for. Because we have very little made here, I fear that Chinas economy is going to stumble and may even fall over. If it does, I believe the whole world will suffer dramatically dragging the world into an economic depressive.
                          Freddie
                          Well so far it is not affecting it too badly!!!
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/bu...20china&st=cse

Comment

The name of this sub-forum is not suitable considering history.I think Renaissance of China is better.
                            All roads lead to Chang An.

Comment

Originally posted by Montenegrino View Post
                              Well so far it is not affecting it too badly!!!
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/bu...20china&st=cse
                              The worlds economies seem to be weathering the global financial crisis better than expected. That has been brought about by governments spending great amounts of money to kick start their economies.

China has become a source of money to be borrowed, even by our Govt. This will have the effect to make China an even bigger world economy. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or not. Only time will tell.

The Chinese manufacturing industry is spreading in different ways.

The Great Ute of China is here - SA220 & V240 Dual Cab Utes - Great Wall Motors, Australia

I believe they an offshoot of Toyota; They may be a good thing, but Aussies are very skeptical of imported vehicles vehicles. We have some of the hardest conditions on earth for vehicles. If they can survive here, they can survive anywhere. Does anyone have any info on them?

Freddie
                              Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                              vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                                The Chinese manufacturing industry is spreading in different ways.

The Great Ute of China is here - SA220 & V240 Dual Cab Utes - Great Wall Motors, Australia

I believe they an offshoot of Toyota; They may be a good thing, but Aussies are very skeptical of imported vehicles vehicles. We have some of the hardest conditions on earth for vehicles. If they can survive here, they can survive anywhere. Does anyone have any info on them?

Freddie
                                I do not know about these cars in particular, but my friend from Russia told me that Russians were importing a lot of cars from China and that they were incredibly cheap but in the same time of very poor quality. BUT again I do not know about these cars in particular and they may have even improved quality of their cars... China even bought Hummer!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X