The Most Effective Interrogation Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Effective Interrogation Technique

What's the most effective interrogation technique based on historical evidence? I'm currently reading some books on this subject but would be curious as to what books others might offer. Thanks.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by Shek View Post
    What's the most effective interrogation technique based on historical evidence? I'm currently reading some books on this subject but would be curious as to what books others might offer. Thanks.
    I have heard about cops tying a centipede sort of an insect in the navel area with a piece of cloth. Tied behind are the accused's hands.

The insect is not poisonous keeps moving here and there, biting and chewing flesh, causing real unbearable irritation.
    Might sound crude but Heard it works most of the time. :)

Comment

Originally posted by firestar View Post
      I have heard about cops tying a centipede sort of an insect in the navel area with a piece of cloth. Tied behind are the accused's hands.

The insect is not poisonous keeps moving here and there, biting and chewing flesh, causing real unbearable irritation.
      Might sound crude but Heard it works most of the time. :)
      I'm looking for books and evidence, not urban legend.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

No books sorry unless you can lay your hand on the second edition of The Green Book which cover techniques and responses. Since it deals with the British I'd assume it'd cover the Five Techniques, seeing as how they had personal experience.
        I think I can still find some scans of original documentation from the School of Americas if you want but I can't remember how much detail it went into.
        Last edited by Parihaka; 05 Dec 08,, 20:22.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Waterboarding is an old technique..... not many can with stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Simullacrum View Post
            Waterboarding is an old technique..... not many can with stand.
            Any books that cite that this is effective that use empirical evidence? I'm not looking for heresay.

Comment

Any books that cite that this is effective that use empirical evidence? I'm not looking for heresay.

Nothing heresay about it.... it is an awfull method of torture.
              Tho in some countries they try to justify it as not a torture method... cause of its effective use. inducing gaging/asphixiation to the point of drowning, then you have the other physical marks from the strugle... and then after 'getting through it' usually with the detained giving up, in some cases haveing mental issues, steming from the 'treatment'.... it is torture.

Unfortunatley it is not only used for torturing our 'enemies' but also used on our own for 'training' purposes.

I do not have a specific book that can tell you 'numbers', im sure that is kept behind closed doors.
              There is probably plenty on the web, its been done to death. (no pun intended)

Comment

Originally posted by Simullacrum View Post
                Nothing heresay about it.... it is an awfull method of torture.
                Tho in some countries they try to justify it as not a torture method... cause of its effective use. inducing gaging/asphixiation to the point of drowning, then you have the other physical marks from the strugle... and then after 'getting through it' usually with the detained giving up, in some cases haveing mental issues, steming from the 'treatment'.... it is torture.

Unfortunatley it is not only used for torturing our 'enemies' but also used on our own for 'training' purposes.

I do not have a specific book that can tell you 'numbers', im sure that is kept behind closed doors.
                There is probably plenty on the web, its been done to death. (no pun intended)
                Simullacrum,

Thus far, I've come across the top interrogator for Nazi Germany as claiming that torture (waterboarding included) is counterproductive, the most prominent American interrogator over the last three decades of the past century claiming the same thing, and the most recent story of the interrogator that broke open the Zarqawi case as claiming the same. On top of that, the most effective interrogator at Abu Ghraib for one of the interrogation companies was a door-to-door vacuum salesman (think about it).

There's pretty strong evidence out there that torture is not necessary and that fear tactics are less useful than tactics that establish rapport. This is why I'd like to see actual evidence that 1) waterboarding is effective (it leads to real intel, not just to a prisoner talking to make the drowning stop) and 2) rapport building techniques by skilled interrogators failed.

Comment

one method which was supposedly used in northern ireland was to take a suspect up in a chopper say over loch erne or some such stetch of water or hard ground and as the person is blindfolded tell them to own up or face the drop ...choppers hovering 2-3feet off the floor...they say no you drop them...when they were picked up you had to gag them to SHUT them up

Comment

I find it strange why you should want to know such things, not a very nice subject. Go to Hereford and attend their 'Resistance to Interigation Course', you will find that very enlightening, see how long you can last, then make your own assumptions on the best method.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                      I find it strange why you should want to know such things, not a very nice subject. Go to Hereford and attend their 'Resistance to Interigation Course', you will find that very enlightening, see how long you can last, then make your own assumptions on the best method.:)
                      My research to date is that building rapport has consistently been the best technique. Many people don't find moral arguments persuasive, i.e., torture is wrong. However, utilitarian arguments are often persuasive, i.e., torture doesn't work, but building rapport does.

That being said, my survey of what's out there is incomplete, and so I was curious to see if there was other literature out there that may either confirm what I've seen to date or argue a counterposition.

Comment

Originally posted by pat322 View Post
                        one method which was supposedly used in northern ireland was to take a suspect up in a chopper say over loch erne or some such stetch of water or hard ground and as the person is blindfolded tell them to own up or face the drop ...choppers hovering 2-3feet off the floor...they say no you drop them...when they were picked up you had to gag them to SHUT them up
                        Pat,
                        Thanks for the story - I'm looking not for what was used, but the actual efficacy.

Comment

Shek,

I don't know if you've seen these ones or not.

This book just came out last week. It goes into more detail as to how Zarqawi was neutralized: http://www.amazon.com/How-Break-Terr...9042289&sr=1-1

This book is a bit dated but gives an overview of interrogation techniques: http://www.amazon.com/Make-Em-Talk-P...9042374&sr=1-1

Here's another one on interviewing techniques: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Inter...9042624&sr=1-1

I confess I don't know much about this field, but I think those books sort of get away from the politicization of this issue.

Comment

Shek, what time frame are we talking about? Does the interrogation have time, or is a disaster imminent.

Disorientation techniques (good cop bad cop, messing with the circadian rhythm etc) and isolation can break just about any one if given enough time. But that might not work if there is very limited time.

Comment

Shek:

Sir,
                              are you looking along the lines of the "Stocholm syndrome" where dependancy and trust is built with your captors? or purely wanting the captive to "fess up" as it were?
                              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Working...
                              X