No announcement yet.

The Most Effective Interrogation Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that was in fact what you were doing.

Comment

Old World Order, we're not big on pissing contests here. the Major has made it plain what information he's after and 'that's what you are, what am I' doesn't add anything to that.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I sorry? Telling someone that they have nothing to add and that they're wasting bandwidth isn't trying to promote a pissing contest? If "the Major" is upset that his initial post and topic title implied that one technique would be most effective to various subjects, in various situations, with various intelligence both known and unknown, it's his problem and only his.

Comment

Originally posted by Old World Order View Post
          I sorry? Telling someone that they have nothing to add and that they're wasting bandwidth isn't trying to promote a pissing contest? If "the Major" is upset that his initial post and topic title implied that one technique would be most effective to various subjects, in various situations, with various intelligence both known and unknown, it's his problem and only his.
          Originally posted by Shek View Post
          It's not obvious at all. In fact, it's just as likely that the implication is that it's situationally dependent. When you read the thread, the tone isn't in support of a single one size fits all solution. So your obvious implication is even less obvious. You'd do well to minimize reading too much into things. Swinging at strawman isn't very effective ;)
          Shek made it plain what his query was about well prior to any post by you and reiterated it in the above post.
          If your aim is nothing but pedantry over the exact title of the thread when it's intent has been made plain to you, what are you bothering to post for?

Secondly
          "the Major"
          We take the Military Professional label very seriously indeed.
          Shek IIRC, was a Captain of a Stryker Brigade in Iraq, a Westpoint lecturer in economics and is currently still in uniform, lurking with intent somewhere in Washington DC. Yourself?

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Shek made it plain what his query was about well prior to any post by you and reiterated it in the above post.
            If your aim is nothing but pedantry over the exact title of the thread when it's intent has been made plain to you, what are you bothering to post for?
            I simply responded to the title of the thread and the first post. Ostensibly, that was a problem? Enough of a problem that Shek wanted to get smarmy, and, I guess, when I got smarmy back we needed moderator to come in and chastise (one of) us.

Secondly

We take the Military Professional label very seriously indeed.
            Shek IIRC, was a Captain of a Stryker Brigade in Iraq, a Westpoint lecturer in economics and is currently still in uniform, lurking with intent somewhere in Washington DC. Yourself?
            Great. On a messageboard, I call people by their screen names, not by any titles they've accrued through their life. If he was a dentist, I wouldn't call him Dr., I'd call him whatever his screenname was. I'm not in the game of guessing people's jobs titles. You can call me "ex-SSG who deployed to Iraq twice, once with an LLVI and once with a SOTA and who now works in intelligence for the government", but what does it matter towards this conversation? What's the point? I didn't pull rank at the mall or at bars, not sure why I would on the internet. Yourself? Maybe we can make a game of this.

Comment

Old World Order

You may want to look at the little titles under the names.

There is a long and vigorous vetting process for individuals to earn those monikers.

Shek is an active duty Infantry Officer who commanded a company in combat and is currently a strategic planner on the Amry Staff.

Me? I was an Infantry and Quartermaster Officer an then a Defense Contractor before I became a Federal Service Civilian Employee...hence while I get the Military Professional and Defense Professional titles.

We tend to take this stuff seriously. Not because we think so well of ourselves but it tends to keep the foodfights to a dull roar.

Pari...well, he is a moderator so ticking him off will lead to a short stay in this neighborhood.

We like strong, considered and well argued arguments on this board.

If you come across as someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, you will get called on it.

It sounds like you have an interesting background as an MI NCO....how about you introduce yourself and let us know about you.
              Last edited by Albany Rifles; 12 Feb 10,, 04:17.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

I simply responded to the title of the thread and the first post. Ostensibly, that was a problem? Enough of a problem that Shek wanted to get smarmy, and, I guess, when I got smarmy back we needed moderator to come in and chastise (one of) us.
                Really? This is smarmy is it?
                Originally posted by Shek View Post
                No, the thread doesn't assume one tactic will always be the most effective. However, there's a clear theme that there's a class of techniques that are far less effective than others if not completely ineffective.
                I don't think so.

Your reply however was.

Uhhh...when a thread is entitled "Most Effective Interrogation Technique" there is obviously the implication that one technique will be most effective. Don't insult people's intelligence, please.
                Welcome to moderator land, banned from posting on this thread

Leibniz

Comment

You may see it as condenscension...the grey beards see it as a continuous process of keeping the threads clean.

You came in with strong opinion earned professionally...great. But if you don't share your background your opinion will not be taken seriously on such a serious topic.

Not saying you don't have valid points or something to add to the discussion.

Shek is a very big boy and can handle his own battles.

I am just trying to help smooth the process.

Some folks start out rough and then abide by the framework of how we discuss things.

Others don't and are sent packing.

You decide...I believe you have a lot to add to the discussion.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    You may see it as condenscension...the grey beards see it as a continuous process of keeping the threads clean.

You came in with strong opinion earned professionally...great. But if you don't share your background your opinion will not be taken seriously on such a serious topic.

Not saying you don't have valid points or something to add to the discussion.

Shek is a very big boy and can handle his own battles.

I am just trying to help smooth the process.

Some folks start out rough and then abide by the framework of how we discuss things.

Others don't and are sent packing.

You decide...I believe you have a lot to add to the discussion.
                    Couldn't have put it better myself, thanks AR:)

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                      Couldn't have put it better myself, thanks AR:)

Call me the kinder and gentler Albany!
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Call me the kinder and gentler Albany!
                        :)) Funnily enough I've been trying to do the same myself but it's an uphill battle:))

Leibniz

Comment

Here's a second time where you've misread what was posted. I didn't state you had nothing to add, I was asking if you had anything to add as you trying to tell me what I meant by what I wrote didn't further discussion on the subject. If you take a step back for a minute, you'd see that my position was the same as yours - that there isn't a single solution for all circumstances (although from what I've read and gathered in conversations, there are techniques that are suboptimal in all cases). From the sounds of your background, you've probably had discussions with folks that could have added to the conversation.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I heard about an autobiography of a Luftwaffe interrogator who was considered top notch by his peers and he did not use violence. His job was to gleam information from shot down Allied pilots. A search did not turn up anything so I guess I will throw this book into the mix and perhaps it will be helpful.

Amazon.com: The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Joachim Scharff: Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe (Schiffer Military History) (9780764302619): Raymond T. Toliver, Hanns Joachim Scharff: Books
                            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
                            X