No announcement yet.

Grab the closest book...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'All was dark skied and hazy, and small chips of rain were starting to fall'.

The Book Thief, Markus Zusak.

Great book, btw, made me cry :(.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

yes, i was there two years ago - ano, byl/byla jsem tam pred dvema roky

The Rough Guide Phrasebook - Czech
      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

"Ionia, the islands, and the Greek mainland would have all been occupied as a Western satrapy of Persia."

Carnage and Cultures by Victor Davis Hanson in the chapter on Salamis.
        "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

LOL !

"The popularity of Hungary as a tourist destination has steadily grown in recent years."

Hong Kong and Macau EU Yearbook 2009
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

"The government as a whole was opposed to further costly construction, but the matter was now being aired to the public, and all parties within the government were seen to be squabbling over which path they should take. "

British Battleships 1889-1904 R.A. Burt (1988)

Sounds familiar
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

"At last, aftermore than a millenium of azial revelations, Ishmael's progeny had been chosen to recite the truths that superseded the gospels of Zarathustra, Abraham, Moses, Mani & Jesus."

God's Crucible: Islam & the making of Europe, 570-1215 D.L.Lewis (2008).
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

"The British Infantry became hugely adept at this system of fire control: time after time their disciplined volleys won the day in Marlborough's battles."

The Makeing of the British Army (from the English civil war to the war on terror)
                Allan Mallinson.
                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

He passed along Klan information to the assistant attorney general of Georgia, an established Klan buster.

{Freakonomics, Levitt & Dubner}

Comment

This is a fun old thread.

The most typical example of a fuel whose combustion in a composition can be partly due to combination with atmospheric oxygen is magnesium.

Principles of Pyrotechnics

by

H. H. Shidlovskiy

Comment

"Hillary had said "I'm going to Arkansas to marry Bill Clinton."

The Seduction of Hillary Rodham, by David Brock, 1996
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

"Freese quickly reviewed what he had learned about the mysterious syndrome"..

Deadly Medicine
                        Kelly Moore & Dan Reed
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Ready for a doozie?

"If the latter possess native sagacity, and a nameless something more - let us call it intuition; if he show no intrusive egotism, nor disagreeably prominent characteristics of his own; if he have the power, which must be born with him, to bring his mind into such affinity with his patients' that this last shall unawares have spoken what he imagines himself only to have thought; if such revelations be received without tumult, and acknowledged not so often by an uttered sympathy as by silence, an inarticulate breath, and here and there a word, to indicate that all is understood; if to these qualifications of a confidant be joined the advantages afforded by his recognized character as a physician - then, at some inevitable moment will the soul of the sufferer be dissolved, and flow forth in a dark but transparent stream, bringing all its mysteries into the daylight"

The Scarlet Letter
                          Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Sweet Jesus, but this is one of the worst books I've ever read. I can usually read over a page a minute, sometimes even 2 pages a minute. It took me almost an hour and a half to read 40 pages. I now read it in chapters, 10 page groupings or so, and I still need to struggle with it.
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                            Ready for a doozie?

"If the latter possess native sagacity, and a nameless something more - let us call it intuition; if he show no intrusive egotism, nor disagreeably prominent characteristics of his own; if he have the power, which must be born with him, to bring his mind into such affinity with his patients' that this last shall unawares have spoken what he imagines himself only to have thought; if such revelations be received without tumult, and acknowledged not so often by an uttered sympathy as by silence, an inarticulate breath, and here and there a word, to indicate that all is understood; if to these qualifications of a confidant be joined the advantages afforded by his recognized character as a physician - then, at some inevitable moment will the soul of the sufferer be dissolved, and flow forth in a dark but transparent stream, bringing all its mysteries into the daylight"

The Scarlet Letter
                            Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Sweet Jesus, but this is one of the worst books I've ever read. I can usually read over a page a minute, sometimes even 2 pages a minute. It took me almost an hour and a half to read 40 pages. I now read it in chapters, 10 page groupings or so, and I still need to struggle with it.
                            an example of "what doesn't kill you will make you stronger" ;)- reminds me of college - oh thats why you are reading this "jewel"
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Trust me, it's not out of choice...
                              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                                Ready for a doozie?

The Scarlet Letter
                                Nathaniel Hawthorne.

quite like mr. Marcel Proust. his hero Swann spends usually some 40 pages reminding what exactly was his former lover wearing in some summer morning some years ago, or what it feels to fall asleep...
                                Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust
                                If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Working...
                                X