Sig P250, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sig P250, Part 2

I previously posted a thread about the durability of the Sig P250, especially the one consistent point of breakage, the trigger bar spring, and said I would make updates as warranted.

Of course, Sig collected our high usage and round count data in order to help improve the product. Recent trigger bar springs have been lasting close to 20,000 rounds, in 9mm, and the .40 is running fine, although it still has less than 10,000 rounds through it.

The most recent 9mm replacement, however, lasted a staggering 14 rounds. No comment yet from Sig.

I still don't like the P250. I don't even like the SP2009 although I have one. I am a big fan of classic Sigs, preferably West German make.

Do you have any experiences on the durability of classic Sigs? If you do, do you see a difference between the recent American made Sigs vs. the German Sigs?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      I still don't like the P250. I don't even like the SP2009 although I have one. I am a big fan of classic Sigs, preferably West German make.

Do you have any experiences on the durability of classic Sigs? If you do, do you see a difference between the recent American made Sigs vs. the German Sigs?
      Yes, I do.

I think that the high point of the line was achieved in the earlier wave of US guns. They are as well made as the German examples, plus they have the one-piece slide (in 9mm), and use solid pins instead of roll pins, which are more of a pain to work on. I own and carry 2 P229/357s from this era, and both just keep running with little maintenance.

Recent US guns (I won't call them "American made," because people at Sig tell me its probable that some guns are going out with virtually no American parts) have problems: Takedown levers have been breaking for years on P220s, and now P229s have that problem. Braided recoil springs have been unwinding on 226s and 229s. I have seen two brand new guns where the sights were so loose that they fell off during the first box of ammo. New DHS guns (P229/40 DAKs, mostly) are showing excessive slide wear, and even galling, inside of 20,000 rds, etc., etc.

Comment

GraniteForge,

I bought a new SIG P229 in .40 a few months ago and just shot it 2 weekends ago. Put 100 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever--the gun was accurate right out of the box with no break-in stoppages. But another real gun nut I know (high-ranking firearms instructor with lots of personal guns) was also critical of SIG and didn't like my gun when he examined it.

Only problem so far: The exterior of the slide rusted a little bit.

I am planning on getting a 9mm barrel and 2 mags so I can shoot the thing using cheaper ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
          GraniteForge,

I bought a new SIG P229 in .40 a few months ago and just shot it 2 weekends ago. Put 100 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever--the gun was accurate right out of the box with no break-in stoppages. But another real gun nut I know (high-ranking firearms instructor with lots of personal guns) was also critical of SIG and didn't like my gun when he examined it.

Only problem so far: The exterior of the slide rusted a little bit.

I am planning on getting a 9mm barrel and 2 mags so I can shoot the thing using cheaper ammo.
          Check www.sigforum.com for more horror stories on the new Sigs. :))

I'm still not quite sure if you can just swap the barrel on your 40 to fire the 9mm. I thought the....what do you call the surface in contact with the bottome of the case...is different between 40 and 9mm.

Comment

GraniteForge, how do you like the modular design of the P250? Did you get a chance to swap some parts or change calibers?

Comment

Check www.sigforum.com for more horror stories on the new Sigs. :))

I'm still not quite sure if you can just swap the barrel on your 40 to fire the 9mm. I thought the....what do you call the surface in contact with the bottome of the case...is different between 40 and 9mm.
              You can't do it with Sig barrels, but there are aftermarket drop-in replacements that are made for this conversion. Bar-Sto comes to mind.

GraniteForge, how do you like the modular design of the P250? Did you get a chance to swap some parts or change calibers?
              I like the concept, but I am not all that fond of the execution. I have swapped out parts and calibers, as well as done other work on the guns. They are not well designed. We recently had one that required the firing pin channel to be cleaned. I discovered that on the P250, this requires driving out a tricky roll pin, among other necessary contortions. Even working from an exploded drawing, it took quite a while to figure it out. The actual work required a vise and more than two hands. I think the P250 is a miss; I won't be buying one, nor do I recommend them.

Comment

My primary SIG's were the 228, 225, and my first SIG a West German 226.

The 228 was my primary, and I have about 37,500 rounds through her, and every one of them was a factory, no weak cheese reloads.

Some one was talking about the weakness of the double C pins in the Original classics. Frankly I found them easier to work on than my 229 (40&357SIG barrels). Although the difference between the 229 and 228 particularly when the 229 was first made was only the slides. Forged vs stamped.

I believe the SIG 228 was/is the best self defense/service pistol ever made. Because of my arthritis I have to carry a 1911 Colt government these days, (trigger finger problems, 1911 trigger moves less than any other pistol.)

I am not a caliber maven, if I do my job, 38,357mag,9mm,357SIG,40S&W,45acp will do what ever needs to be done as well as any weak cheese handgun round can.

RE: Favorite statement RE: Caliber. I saw it on the History channel some years ago. SEAL officer talking about the 9mm: If I shoot you twice in the chest and once in the head, what difference does caliber make? I agree totally.

The real combat experience I do have with handguns is in 38spl revolvers and 45acp 1911's. The vast majority of my combat experience is with rifles, and a few SMG's.

But if my trigger finger still worked properly, as I write this it would be my SIG 228 9mm vs the Colt Gunsite Pistol 45acp that is in my holster right now.

With all that BS said, when a new shooter asks me what to get, I recommend a revolver usually either a S&W or Ruger, usually in 38 or 357. Most want a pistol, then I recommend the Glock 19. May start Recommending the S&W M&P compact in 9mm, but it hasn't fully convinced me yet.

I consider the SIG and 1911 to be better handled by experienced and well trained gunmen.

Good luck.

Fred
                Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                X