The Invisible Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Invisible Tank

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.
    In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.
    The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

The result is that anyone looking in the direction of the vehicle only sees what is beyond it and not the tank itself.
    A soldier, who was at the trials, said: "This technology is incredible. If I hadn't been present I wouldn't have believed it. I looked across the fields and just saw grass and trees - but in reality I was staring down the barrel of a tank gun."

How the technology works in a combat situation is very sensitive, but the MoD is believed to be testing a military jacket that works on the same principles.
    It is the type of innovation normally associated with James Bond, and the brains behind the latest technology is the MoD's very own "Q" - Professor Sir John Pendry, of Imperial College London.
    He said the only drawback was the reliability of the cameras and projectors.
    But he added: "The next stage is to make the tank invisible without them - which is intricate and complicated, but possible."

Got the source?
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
      The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.
      I cannot see how this has any practical application. There is no relation between this technology and possibly useful invisibility technology like metamaterials.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

There is a precident though.........................3RTR were always invisible when the weather turned cold ...

Just joking CA :)
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Eh. I have worked a bit with this stuff, and found it to be a generation too late. It can visually shield a static object from naked eye observation, which would hide it from most casual civilians, but I didn't see a military use.

To be militarily useful, it needs to be invisible while moving, and in the thermal range as well.

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
            There is a precident though.........................3RTR were always invisible when the weather turned cold ...

Just joking CA :)
            Ouch!

Comment

Its a shame you can't bottle it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                You would love that wouldn't you?;)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Ouch!
                  To be honest with you guys, in the 24 Years I served not once did I ever come across 1 RTR on an Exercise, wonder why that was!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                    Well if its in a bottle I am sure there would be quite a few guinea pigs on this site:))

Comment

To be honest with you guys, in the 24 Years I served not once did I ever come across 1 RTR on an Exercise, wonder why that was!!!!!!!!!
                      Now now boys don't fight .... you are all on the same side after all:);)

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                        Got the source?
                        There are several, try this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...invisible.html

Comment

Read up on this in the past. IICR is was also used in a 007 movie where the car disappears by use of camera's projecting onto the surface. But alas, although possibly hidden from the human eye from its heat signature and heat coming off a freshly fired main gun wont be invisable to the infared eye.;)
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Read up on this in the past. IICR is was also used in a 007 movie where the car disappears by use of camera's projecting onto the surface. But alas, although possibly hidden from the human eye from its heat signature and heat coming off a freshly fired main gun wont be invisable to the infared eye.;)
                            Infrared. Old Technology, try Thermal Imaging.

Comment

Infrared. Old Technology, try Thermal Imaging.
                              Same instance just different lens/software.;)

Think about this also.. Only invisable until a liquid hits it (mud, water,paint etc) and outlines its silloette.;)
                              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                              X