Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History channel claiming Su-47 beats F-22?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the first 3 videos in the Future Dogfights series, and well, I'm irritated by what I think would be a couple of inaccuracies:

- I don't there's any real program to create the B-1R missile truck. If anything, F-15C+ "Golden Eagles" would be the ones serving that role - at least they can maneuver.

- How the heck are the Rafales' missiles so strangely inaccurate? The B-1Rs should have been shot down - I mean, 6 Rafales are shooting at them. AFAIK, Rafales would be using Meteors, which I doubt would be so crappy. Maybe those missiles are MICAs, which I don't know much about.

- Which country would be using a mixed flight of Su 30MKIs(Indian/Russian) and Dassault Rafales(French, hasn't been able to win any export deals)? And MiG 29s. The only country that would possibly be using this combination is India, if the Rafale wins the 126-fighter deal.

- I don't know that much about air combat, but I think the F-22s should have fired Sidewinders once at their max effective range instead of passing the Rafales and then beginning a turning fight. Or, they should've flanked the Rafale flight at BVR and popped up some distance behind them before closing in and ambushing them.

- When the F-22 tries to pull the Cobra maneuver, the Rafale pilot gets a good chance to scrag it with it's cannon. This is conveniently forgotten in the video, as if the Rafale didn't have a cannon.

- The Rafales had to be the ones that survived the B-1R missile barrage - when Su 30MKIs are probably the more maneuverable of the two, and possibly more maneuverable than the Raptor. Another convenient Deus Ex Machina.

It seems to be just a souped-up Sci Fi show with some degree of realism, some degree of fiction for the heck of being cool, and some degree of patriotic fervor.

Comment

The B1R is a real proposal by Boeing.

The b1b is semi stealth and the B1R would be more so.

The Rafales fired at long range vs the even longer ranged AIM120D. Those missile were out of energy.

The rest I agree with you

Comment

Towards the end it got crazy. So we had had engagements involving F-22s, B-1Rs, F-35s, MQ-9s, B-2s, Rafales and an Airborne Laser in fights against MiG-29s, Rafales, Su 30MKIs, MiG-35s, Su 47s, and S-400 SAMs. The anti-sat missile incident was loosely linked to the story that had been progressing thus far, but still believable(as were the Airborne Laser vs. fighters incident to an extent, and the advanced stealth-penetrating SAMs vs. F-22s incident).

Then came the scramjet-powered spaceplanes dueling in orbit with frickin' laser beams, which was totally bizarre and had no relation to any earlier events whatsoever. Once they arrived on the scene, the satellites, the F-22s and the rest were never mentioned again.
        So what started out as a battle between a flight of F-22s and Rafales against Su-30s and was later joined by a 767-based Airborne Laser, anti-stealth SAMs, super Su-47s, and anti-sat missiles attacking GPS satellites, and finally ended with a face off between a pair of scramjet-powered laser-armed spaceplanes.:))

Edit: Naturally, the American spaceplane won. For some reason, the Russian one never even got a shot off. And why they try to maneuver on to their enemy's tail, I don't know. If they just fired their lasers while merging, they'd both die and the story would have ended happily ever after.
        Last edited by hello; 06 Jan 09,, 09:41.

Comment

Good lord. I'm glad I haven't seen this show.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            Good lord. I'm glad I haven't seen this show.
            I don't know what it is with History Channel, the other day there was a show about the Bermuda Triangle, a bunch of nimrods trying to prove it contains a black hole.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
              I don't know what it is with History Channel, the other day there was a show about the Bermuda Triangle, a bunch of nimrods trying to prove it contains a black hole.
              Last night was at least an hour of Bible Code proving global warming is real...

I'd rather watch Mike Rowe castrate sheep...
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Well there is a wonderful visual

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I'd rather watch Mike Rowe castrate sheep...
                  This has probably happened already. If not, it will.

I like him as a narrator, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
                    Well there is a wonderful visual
                    This has probably happened already. If not, it will.

I like him as a narrator, though.
                    Oh it has happened already.

I watched the episode where he had to castrate baby sheep (don't remember the name...pup? calf? chick?).......WITH HIS TEETH!!!

Guess what he had for dinner that night?:))
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I've only watched the SU-47 section, and believe me, that was enough fantasy to keep anybody from watching the whole program in a serious manner.
                      Last edited by retxham; 08 Jan 09,, 06:45.
                      The Pretty Boys in the Air!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Oh it has happened already.

I watched the episode where he had to castrate baby sheep (don't remember the name...pup? calf? chick?).......WITH HIS TEETH!!!
                        I had a woodshop teacher do that once in class, only they were baby pigs; all of the girls were grossed out, and the guys were a little uncomfortable.
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Seem a bit off-subject for woodshop...

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                            uhm well I don't you age but she might be a bit young for you (20) aaand..uh well there some..drawbacks.

I once made fun of stargate and she threated me with a knife...
                            She has some weird..tastes/fantasies (again involving knives) so have to always tie her to the bed (luckily she does not mind that)
                            And she dumped me on christmas eve via a text message with the reason that she did not want a cripple as friend anymore.

On the other hand she is also pretty hot..what I guess was one of the reasons I put up with er for so long (and also then when I wanted to break up she always became suicidal)...

uhm long story short: I have yet to find a person I hate enough to hook him up with on of my exs (the other one was a vampire who wanted to suck out my blood, and my last one attack me with a glass bottle giving me some scars on my upper left arm because I refused to beat her).

Dude,

I don't know where you hang out to meet these women, but you need to consider changing the venue.
                            Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                              uhm well I don't you age but she might be a bit young for you (20) aaand..uh well there some..drawbacks.

I once made fun of stargate and she threated me with a knife...
                              She has some weird..tastes/fantasies (again involving knives) so have to always tie her to the bed (luckily she does not mind that)
                              And she dumped me on christmas eve via a text message with the reason that she did not want a cripple as friend anymore.

On the other hand she is also pretty hot..what I guess was one of the reasons I put up with er for so long (and also then when I wanted to break up she always became suicidal)...

uhm long story short: I have yet to find a person I hate enough to hook him up with on of my exs (the other one was a vampire who wanted to suck out my blood, and my last one attack me with a glass bottle giving me some scars on my upper left arm because I refused to beat her).
                              Ummmmmmmm . . . . . okay, that was interesting. And I thought MY post was off-topic!
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Seem a bit off-subject for woodshop...
                                Quite. The good news is, he didn't last too long as a teacher. Turns out he was hitting on a couple of the girls in the class, and he was gone after that. He was, shall we say, an "interesting" guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X