• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy in the 21st Century

Ships diverted after Saudi oil tanker hijacked
    U.S. and other naval forces hold off on attacking Somali pirates
    associated press Nov. 18, 2008

MOGADISHU, Somalia - A major Norwegian shipping group on Tuesday ordered its more than 90 tankers to sail around Africa rather than use the Suez Canal after Somali pirates seized a Saudi supertanker carrying $100 million in crude.

The U.S. and other naval forces decided against intervening in the seizure of the supertanker. The pirates captured an Iranian cargo ship Tuesday, the seventh vessel seized in 12 days.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal called the hijacking "an outrageous act" and said "piracy, like terrorism, is a disease which is against everybody, and everybody must address it together."

The kingdom, which is the world's leading oil producer, said it will join the international fight against piracy, and Somali officials vowed to try to rescue the supertanker, by force if necessary.

source

OK why are the navies of the world allowing this to continue? Are we in the 17th century again? I think The Saudi's are right Piracy is a form of terrorism and should be stopped. How much of the booty or ransom finds its way back into funding terrorism cells?

The Constitution recognizes only three federal crimes - treason, piracy, and counterfeiting.
    Article 1, Section 8, Clause 10
    By the confederation the sole and exclusive power was given to congress "of appointing courts for the trial of piracies and felonies committed on the high seas." But there was no power expressly given to define and punish piracies and felonies.
    Congress, however, proceeded to pass an ordinance for the erection of a court for such trials, and prescribed the punishment of death upon conviction of the offence. But they never undertook to define, what piracies or felonies were. It was taken for granted, that these were sufficiently known and understood at the common law; and that resort might, in all such cases, be had to that law, as the recognised jurisprudence of the Union.
    Yes
    84.75%
    No
    15.25%

Does anyone believe that a bunch of speedboats can avoid ECM and satellite services? How many USA fleets are in the Indian ocean at this time? With long-range sub hunters and UAV radio receivers. It's hard to connect with another ship; although the path of that mega-tanker was pretty predictable. Two miniguns and IR vision would better their hand compared to the value of ship and cargo. Are we to say those guys couldn't catch crabs?

Comment

I think there should be a multinational raid on that port the pirates are operating out of. If nobody else wants to pony up the troops, we should go in alone. Level anything faintly associated with piracy and tow all their boats/ships out 10 miles and use them for target practice.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        I think there should be a multinational raid on that port the pirates are operating out of. If nobody else wants to pony up the troops, we should go in alone. Level anything faintly associated with piracy and tow all their boats/ships out 10 miles and use them for target practice.
        I have been thinking this, take half a dozen helicopter gunships and shoot up everything that looks even remotely like a boat, its not like there is any risk involved (They dont have an AA network do they? Didn't steal one of those with the tanks or anything? ) and the financial cost would be next to nothing.

Comment

About time that is done. Im sure Egypt will be interested in joining forces. It stands to lose the most if all shipping goes around the cape.

Comment

I can think of many nations that would be interested in seeing an end to Somalia piracy. Why has nothing serious been done so far? The US has the legal right to do something on there own but they are "observing" to me it seems insane.

Comment

Shouldn't it be the Saudi's lead? Egypt second. Israel can do the false flag.

Comment

As it has been pointed out, hostages (ie the crews) are in the ports and so is the $100mil+ cargo which the companies and insurance holders loathed to lose. The pirates know that it's cheaper to pay the ransom than to lose it and their demands are extremely minimal (pennies on the dollar) when compared to the risk.

Comment

Think "Bait Car".

Comment

What are those 73 tank barrels? 155mm ammo?
                    It is better to starve an enemy than shoot him. Could we hire Somalians to run the "Bait Car" program?

Comment

Originally posted by greycloud View Post
                      Think "Bait Car".
                      Have a group of special forces hidden inside the vessel when it's hijacked?

Comment

Have a group of special forces hidden inside the vessel when it's hijacked?
                        Yes I am not sure what he is alluding to also.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Here's a map that was posted on another thread:

I honestly had no idea how far these pirates were operating from their own shores. I was under the impression they were simply nabbing ships that cruised close by them. These guys really know what they're doing.

Comment

Um... no

If anything, The Soviet invasion and occupation of Afghanistan shows us one thing. That you can blow something to hell and back, and yet unless you get to the real source of the problem. That problem will just come right back and bite you in the ass.

Sure, you go and blow the ports to kingdom come..but now what? Now you have pissed off some somali's, and they will get back into the business of piracy. Only this time, they will hire some thugs who also hate the International community for bombing there villages and countries.. and then you spread the war on terrorism to another part of the world.

We need to help Somalia control its own country before we can expect Somali Piracy to stop.

It's just like giving tonnes of aid to starving countries... decades later, we still dumping aid for starving kids! Education is far more powerful than a 20kg bag of rice ever will be at eliminating poverty.

Comment

Working...
                              X