Indian navy foils another attack by Somali pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian navy foils another attack by Somali pirates

NEW DELHI: Even as the world's largest supertanker the Saudi Sirius Star continues to be in the grip of pirates of the coast of Somalia, the
    Indian navy appears to have taken the lead in the fight against pirates. ( Watch )

After a successful operation against pirates last week when the Indian navy warship INS Tabar sank a Somalian pirate ship of the Gulf of Aden, at about 10 pm last night the navy spotted another pirate ship; it challenged the pirate ship which had several speed boats accompanying it, according to TV channel Times Now.

The pirate’s ship tried to ram the Tabar at which point the Tabar opened fire. No casualties have been reported on the Indian side.

The stealth frigate successfully repulsed the attack by the pirates and sunk their ship, an official said here on Wednesday.

“The pirates fired at INS Tabar, which is patrolling the waters off the Somali coast. The ship retaliated and sank the pirate vessel,” a navy official said.

Meanwhile the Sirius Star has anchored off the coast of Somalia in Eyl, even as pirates took over another Iranian-operated cargo vessel with a Hong Kong flag ‘Delight’. US navy commander Jane Campbell of the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet said the status of the crew and cargo was not known. There are some Indians among the 25-member crew.

In the first-ever action after being deployed in the Gulf of Aden, the Indian navy on November 11 thwarted an attempt by pirates to capture an Indian merchant vessel in the region. The ship, M V Jag Arnav, had recently crossed the Suez Canal and was eastward bound when it was surrounded by pirates, who tried to board and hijack the ship, navy sources in New Delhi said.

When the 38,265-tonne bulk carrier, owned by Mumbai-based Great Eastern Shipping Company, raised an alarm, it caught the attention of the Indian naval warship, INS Tabar, which was patrolling in the Gulf of Aden waters.

link:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/I...how/3731104.cm

Tried to ram the Tabar? Hah, won't be trying that again. :))
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

They tried to ram a three and a half thousand ton warship? In what way did that seem like a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
        They tried to ram a three and a half thousand ton warship? In what way did that seem like a good idea?
        I believe it was night and possibly the Pirates were drunk.

I guess that is more than enough to ram even a Aircraft Carier! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by aanshu01 View Post

“The pirates fired at INS Tabar, which is patrolling the waters off the Somali coast. The ship retaliated and sank the pirate vessel,” a navy official said.
          That will teach them to think they are immune to retaliation. I hope the sharks were hungry:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7736885.stm

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
            Maybe they were trying to win a Darwin Award?

Comment

Wow Just wow. I am still amazed that after all of the time this has been going on that the more developed nations of the world haven't agreed to share the cost of keeping 2 frigates or destroyers on station down there. These people aren't in true deep sea vessels and it has been shown time and again that any real opposition and they quit.

Comment

I'm stunned at this news of Pirates even making an attempt to ram a fully equiped Navy vessel. This shows these pirates are ready to do anything for claiming ransom.

Sooner all Navys in the region cooperate to contain this menance ,better it is or else few years down the line, all merchant ships would be facing more lethal pirate Navy fleets developed from all those successful ransom deals.
                Last edited by IND76; 19 Nov 08,, 14:04.

Comment

Ram the Tabar?
                  Excellent idea, send more ones to ram these warships. They need practice and justify the cost of procurement.:))
                  sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

OK Guys, lets be realistic.
                    The article did not give the details on the size of the pirate vessel. I would think that it would not have been too small, if at all it had tried to "Ram" the Tabar. You know, (as much I would like to believe and bemuse the fact that that the Captain of the pirate vessel was drunk), I dont think he was stupid enough to try and ram a ship which was too big to it in size. So, what weapons did the Tabar use to sink it?

Its main armament is 1x100mm (3.9 in) gun, 3M-54E Klub missiles and BrahMos missiles. And I dont think they used Klub or Brahmos missiles. So what did they use to sink the vessel which had tried to ram it ?(it wouldnt have been too small, if the pirates thought that ramming the Tabar would make an impact)

(PS-I think that the 100mm gun is too small a weapon to sink a ship comparable (at least to some extent) to it in size)
                    Everyone has opinions, only some count.

Comment

While you are all thinking of solutions and reasons here is a Captains story first hand:
                      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7735258.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Kommunist View Post

(PS-I think that the 100mm gun is too small a weapon to sink a ship comparable (at least to some extent) to it in size)
                        A dozen rounds into an unarmored ship?... I think even a cruiser would feel it...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                          A dozen rounds into an unarmored ship?... I think even a cruiser would feel it...
                          Yeah, but feeling, damaging and sinking are different things, right?
                          Everyone has opinions, only some count.

Comment

Originally posted by Kommunist View Post
                            Yeah, but feeling, damaging and sinking are different things, right?
                            Actually I was thinking about sinking, even if not outright. And you don't even have to hit a magazine (which, apparently, happened this time). Just hit at the waterline, or concentrate the fire at a single section (forward or aft) to maximize the damage. Remember the HMS Sheffield? One single Exocet (that didn't even explode) cause enough damage to force it to be abandoned...

Comment

I was sort've like these guys after I heard the Indians blew up the Pirates ship

Comment

Working...
                              X