Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some sources

Hello all,

I am looking for some sources for a research project I am working on. The main question I am trying to answer is weather or not naval or air power can alone win a desicive victory without a superior land force.

I also welcome any thought some might have on the topic that would help me narrow down my own hypothesis.

Personally, I think that it all depends on the situation ie) if conserning territorial disputes at sea where land forces will not be present then of course air or naval power can bring about victory. But, if we where talking about a land based territorial dispute, or some other form of dispute that includes using ground forces, I think that without some sort of land force that can actually "be on the ground", a victory is out of reach. However this does put in question the need for a "superior" land force right?

P.S. Moderator please feel free to move this subject to where you see fit. I only posted here because of my need for academic resources. Sort of a two part post I guess.

Originally posted by khalood View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking for some sources for a research project I am working on. The main question I am trying to answer is weather or not naval or air power can alone win a desicive victory without a superior land force.

I also welcome any thought some might have on the topic that would help me narrow down my own hypothesis.

Personally, I think that it all depends on the situation ie) if conserning territorial disputes at sea where land forces will not be present then of course air or naval power can bring about victory. But, if we where talking about a land based territorial dispute, or some other form of dispute that includes using ground forces, I think that without some sort of land force that can actually "be on the ground", a victory is out of reach. However this does put in question the need for a "superior" land force right?

P.S. Moderator please feel free to move this subject to where you see fit. I only posted here because of my need for academic resources. Sort of a two part post I guess.
    Here's a thread that will provide some food for thought:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...ampaign&page=4

Here are some books that may (or may not) prove fruitful.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Effective-...6454496&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bombs-Cities-C...6454539&sr=1-1
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

The main question I am trying to answer is weather or not naval or air power can alone win a desicive victory without a superior land force.
      the Army guy sure replied to this one real quick :)):))
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        the Army guy sure replied to this one real quick :)):))
        With the economy on a downturn, I need to make sure I keep a job :))
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by khalood View Post
          Hello all,

can Iran withstand the US Navy?

sure lets work on this

You said naval air so the conflict is close to a large enough body of water for an aircraft carrier. What we need to narrow down is the land force on an Island, or continental mass? Naval power and this includes naval air power can induce a defeat through the denial of essentials. This is much easier done on an island of course but can be done on a larger land mass if enough other factors are in play.

Comment

Zraver,

Regarding Iran's ability to absorb the US navy's power: Postulating that Iranian air defences are up to par (to deal with naval air power) and that they have alternative land routes for resupplying essentials, what is left? a Land invasion? Extensive use of advanced airial bombardment (most probably from land based bases in the gulf), Shock and Awe 2.0?

In terms of the argument itself, the requirements do not list specific geographical restrictions so I would assume that I would have to create them. So lets assume that it is a continental mass, giving a little more of an even playing field. And lets assume that the oposing land based force has "surface to sea" missile capabilities that are formidable without going into specifics, namely because I unfamiliar with the specifics of weaponry. So keeping a navy relatively at bay and unable to strike deep without utalizing its naval air power. And even if the enemy didnt have sufficient anti-naval capabilities, if the target or objective was deep inland, how could naval power deliver a victory?

Since I am new, and no one is familiar with my arguing style, I would just like to mention that if I ever sound like I'm being offensive I'm not trying to be so please excuse the limits of internet forum discusion :)

Comment

Working...
            X