:claps:

And where are:
    • Arnold Layne
    • Bike
    • See Emily Play
    • Welcome to the Machine
    • Two Suns in the Sunset
    • The Final Cut

And there best by far: Shine On You Crazy Diamond!

Feck-it: obviously the poll is too complex and contrived! How about choosing the best Floyd album...?
    That's easy: Dark Side Of The Moon.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I have Pink Floyd`s first album and it is REALLY hard for me to pick ONE favorite song! I almost picked "wish you where here", for several reasons.... I really do like" saucer full of secrets", their second album and ummagumma, I have that one also and several more.

Comment

See Emily play is also one of my favorites

Comment

Cant boil it down to one....wish you were here and comfortably numb....brain damage maybe....

Album-dark side of the moon

why aint there any such thread on Led zeppelin????

Comment

Zaitzev Reply

"...why aint there any such thread on Led zeppelin????"

Because they're derivative and suck.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

No "Astronomy Domain"?

No "One of these days?

So many good songs from Pink Floyd cant name many favorits over the others.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post

Blasphemy!!!

Comment

Since this is a Pink floyd thread...

Anyone in the NJ area going to the Pink Floyd Experience show in Red Bank in Feburary?

Comment

I really hate to say this: But I`m thnking about selling my album collection. Times R not good! And my situation isn`t all that good either. I`ve got alot of records from the 60`s and early 70`s. Any one interested? I know this isn`t ebay, but...

Comment

Oh yeah, I have "LED ZEPPEllin`s" first and second album too.

Comment

Derivative? Derivative of what? They were the first rock 'n roll band to successfully fuse blues and rock 'n roll into what ultimately became hard rock.

No less an authority than Rolling Stone magazine has called Led Zeppelin the 'World's Best Rock Band' (ref: Jim Miller, "Album Review: Physical Graffiti", Rolling Stone, 27 March 1975). In 2005, the magazine Guitar World held a poll of readers in which "Stairway to Heaven" was voted as having the greatest guitar solo of all time. Led Zeppelin also consistently broke attendance records wherever they played, with 76,229 people attending their Pontiac Silverdome concert on 30 April; it was, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the largest attendance to date for a single act show. During the time Led Zeppelin was playing, they were quoted as being "the world's number one rock attraction, having outsold most bands of the time, including the Rolling Stones."

So, do they still suck?
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I was at a Led Zeppelin concert in 1972 in the civic certer in Providence, R.I. and it was (at the time) the most awesome thing I had ever seen! I still have the ticket stub. But I must say that the Pink Floyd concert I went to topped it! (a few years later).

Comment

Stitch Reply

My first recommendation is quit looking to others for your support. I could care less what Jim Miller thinks, Rolling Stone magazine generally, or any who've seen them play live or bought their albums.

Here's how Miller finished his review-

"They may not be the greatest rock band of the Seventies. But after seven years, five platinum albums and now Physical Graffiti, the world's most popular rock band must be counted among them."

"They were the first rock 'n roll band to successfully fuse blues and rock 'n roll into what ultimately became hard rock."

Hmmm...really? Tell that to the Yardbirds, The Who, the Stones, the Animals, and a few others. Derivative stands. Ask Page. He was in the last edition of the Yardbirds.

For my money I'd choose The Who in a heartbeat. If I'm putting something old on to listen (and most of my music IS old if you follow any of the music thread we've here), they are likely well down my list on any given day.

If I hear "Stairway To Heaven" one more time, I'll puke. If I hear it in your presence, I'll aim your way.

I like them. I like Page better though with the Black Crowes playing with Page than I do just them. Live, I think their sound largely sucks and is hollow. I know. I've seen them live at their peak (1973). I don't really like Plant's vocals and I view Pages' solos as self-indulgent, too long, and largely incoherant.

""So, do they still suck?"

Gee. Whadda ya' think? About a 7 on a 10 scale...

...on a good day.:))
                            Last edited by S2; 19 Nov 09,, 02:19.
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

My first recommendation is quit looking to others for your support. I could care less what Jim Miller thinks, Rolling Stone magazine generally, or any who've seen them play live or bought their albums.

Here's how Miller finished his review-

"They may not be the greatest rock band of the Seventies. But after seven years, five platinum albums and now Physical Graffiti, the world's most popular rock band must be counted among them."

"They were the first rock 'n roll band to successfully fuse blues and rock 'n roll into what ultimately became hard rock."

Hmmm...really? Tell that to the Yardbirds, The Who, the Stones, the Animals, and a few others. Derivative stands. Ask Page. He was in the last edition of the Yardbirds.

For my money I'd choose The Who in a heartbeat. If I'm putting something old on to listen (and most of my music IS old if you follow any of the music thread we've here), they are likely well down my list on any given day.

If I hear "Stairway To Heaven" one more time, I'll puke. If I hear it in your presence, I'll aim your way.

I like them. I like Page better though with the Black Crowes playing with Page than I do just them. Live, I think their sound largely sucks and is hollow. I know. I've seen them live at their peak (1973). I don't really like Plant's vocals and I view Pages' solos as self-indulgent, too long, and largely incoherant.

""So, do they still suck?"

Gee. Whadda ya' think? About a 7 on a 10 scale...

...on a good day.:))
                              I gotta admire you for your honesty; I get the whole "If I hear "Stairway To Heaven" one more time, I'll puke" thing. It may be a great song, but it's also overplayed (or at least it was).

But they are still my favorite rock 'n roll band; maybe it's because the '70s' were a very formative time for my musical tastes (I was, after all, 15 at the time), and that's what was on the airwaves at the time. Yes, I agree with you about the Page solos; just try sitting through the entire playing of "The Song Remains The Same". But if I had to choose just one band to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Zeppelin; they were diverse. You may have to wade through a lot of bad stuff to get to it, but the good stuff is there, too. Also, as you said (indirectly), their studio work is much better than their live work; I think a little bit of cannabis helped out with an appreciation of their live work, though I was a little on the young side to participate in 1975! I can't speak for the other groups you seem to prefer from the '70's, I was too young to really go to concerts until 1980 (Day On The Green, July 20, 1980: Journey, Black Sabbath, Cheap Trick, Molly Hatchet & Shakin' Street, Oakland, CA).

Comment

Stitch Reply

My formative time? 1964 and the British invasion on the Armed Forces Radio Network in W. Germany. Incredible days. Something mind-blowing around the corner it seemed like every damned day.

"I can't speak for the other groups you seem to prefer from the '70's..."

70s? Those bands were mid-sixties and not all are my preference but I can guarantee you that the Yardbirds (my first record-a 45 purchased at the Frankfurt P.X. in 1965) and the Animals don't scratch my top ten. They did FUSE blues with rock n' roll early on though.

One band? The Beatles all day long. It is forever a shame that we're left with only their rooftop concert in January 1969 to suggest just how good and heavy that band might have been live if permitted to perform with semi-moderen sound equipment and a total absence of screaming pre-pubescent girls.

They were tight, possessed two of rock's best vocalists, sang great harmonies, and were all excellent musicians. Massive major bummer for S-2 when they broke up.

Comment

Working...
                                X