This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 November

I would like to post a thread on the 90th anniversary of the armistice that ended World War 1. I would welcome contributions from everyone who has knowledge of World War 1 to discuss how the conflict changed Europe and the World forever.

I would like to discuss how it changed the balance of power in Europe with the Austro Hungarian, Imperial German and Tsarist Russian Empires dissapearing.

How were Great Britain, France and the USA affected by World War 1?

Good acknowlegement
    !

Comment

We now call it Veteran's Day in honor of all veterans of all wars.

We had a Veteran's Day Parade in Long Beach. I hitched a ride in the truck pulling the 40-foot long model of the USS Nevada that was used in "Tora Tora Tora". It's the only one left of all the models built for that movie and is being taken care of at the Naval Weapons Center in Seal Beach.

Even on Atlantic Avenue in North Long Beach, I still wind up on a Battleship.

They also had the 30-foot long model of the USS Long Beach in the parade after undergoing a couple of years of repair. That model was built in our Pattern Maker shop at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard.

We had a group of reinactors in Civil War uniforms and a group of WW I preservationists in American, German and French uniforms of 1918. Before the parade started they got a kick out of me "inspecting" their rifles. Had to make sure the Doughboys were carrying 03 Springfields and not 03-A3.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Ours is still 11 November.

This song still hits a nerve

http://www.army.gc.ca/chief_land_sta...s/TKeng6mb.wmv

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, please give 2 minutes of silence.

Comment

Lest We Forget. To my old friend, and loader Steve Tancock R.I.P. (Iraq 2003)

Comment

Veterans Day

As we approach Veterans Day not a day goes by that I thumb through the local paper and see so many obituaries of our former Vets that have passed on.

So, no matter which service it is Army, Navy, Armed Guards, Air Force, Marines, Merchant Marines, Coast Guard, Cadets and any other branch I may have missed.

I just want to say thank you for your service to our country, may God keep you safe and watch over you no matter where it is on the globe that you may serve and may you return safely to your loved ones as soon as possible.

Thank you to all of our Vets past and present!
            Attached Files
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

To the men and women of our armed forces,both at home and abroad,thank you for your service.We may not say it near often enough,but we appreciate what you do for us and the sacrifices you have made and are still making to keep us safe.My family and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
              "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You're welcome.:)

Comment

Golden corral restaurants wants to honor vets as well on veterans day and will give all vets who come, a free meal. Tomorrow morning I will be attaching my BIG flag to my bike, rolling out in the 30f weather and going to work. Around 4:30pm I'll be heading down to the local Golden Corral in Joplin, to meet a couple friends. We eat last, but in the mean time we hold the door and help any disabled or frail vets throught the crowd and make sure they are taken care of. The line is usually down the walk and around the corner.

I've met men who stormed the beaches of Normandy, a couple survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor. One who was on the Iowa. Men with metal plates in thier head who lost part of thier skull in the bitter cold of Korea. Men who have served in every conflict and every branch of service.

The conversations that take place during this gathering are priceless indeed. Thats why I go back every year. No matter how cold it gets.

Comment

Is the Veterans Day the same as the Armistice Day?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Both supposed to be 11 November (Remembrance Day in Canada) but the UK recently changed that to Remembrance Sunday, the 2nd Sunday of November. Dreadful shame.

Comment

Armistice Day is the anniversary of the symbolic end of World War I on 11 November 1918. It commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies and Germany at Rethondes, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning — the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month". While this official date to mark the end of the war reflects the ceasefire on the Western Front.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          Armistice Day is the anniversary of the symbolic end of World War I on 11 November 1918. It commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies and Germany at Rethondes, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning — the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month". While this official date to mark the end of the war reflects the ceasefire on the Western Front.
                          Technically this is all absolutely correct. But sometime after WW II (or was it the Korean War) it was decided to make Armistice Day in recognition of US Veterans of all the wars it has been in and is collectively known as Veteran's Day.

Celebrations, such as the parade I was in last Saturday, are held on the Saturday closest to November 11th and may be the Saturday before or the Saturday after.

It is a lot simpler than to have Armistice Day in November, VE Day in May, VJ Day in September, etc. The ends of the Korean and Viet Nam wars were not actually full victories but Veterans are still Veterans and in our Parade we even had a preservation group in American, German and French uniforms of the First World War. No objections to seeing men dressed in historically accurate uniforms with historically accurate rifles (I personally inspected the 03 Springfields to make sure they weren't A3's).

After all, regardless of Nationality, your spilled blood is the same color as the other guy's.
                          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Hey RB!

How'd the "other" issue turn out wth your parade? The war protesters.

Comment

Thanks to those who have served and are serving.

Lest we forget those who have fallen on the field of battle.

We are eternally in your debt.

-Jake
                              America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

Working...
                              X