No announcement yet.

Twenty die on Russian submarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am amazed that India can even consider 'Russian Quality' military gear.

They must be desperate.

John.

Comment

Rest In Peace.

Comment

Whilst respect to the dead is a given, I have a question.

Reports I have read seem to indicate Freon gas was the cause of this tragedy, but what I cant understand is why this is being used on submarines? The stuff is both dangerous and out dated. I happen to work for a company who is involved in fire protection systems (and other things) and we haven’t used Freon in years, it’s simply not needed these days as there are for more efficient yet safe systems these days.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post

Reports I have read seem to indicate Freon gas was the cause of this tragedy, but what I cant understand is why this is being used on submarines? The stuff is both dangerous and out dated. I happen to work for a company who is involved in fire protection systems (and other things) and we haven’t used Freon in years, it’s simply not needed these days as there are for more efficient yet safe systems these days.
          Yes, russian systems are outdated very often, especially naval ones. And russian chemical industry is outdated as whole

I should add two names, they marked as John Doe in initial list, but were identified just now
          Шутов Игорь
          Власов Андрей
          both were great guys, both were married, both were under 30, Igor's son is one and half year old.
          Rest in Peace lads
          Last edited by Andrey Egorov; 10 Nov 08,, 14:57.
          We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
            Rest in Peace lads
            Indeed. This is just such a tragic and pointless loss of life!

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post

Freon 112 was probably used for its smothering/air scavaging qualities. Haylon was also used aboard subs so the electronics would not be damaged and had excellent smothering characteristics however it was also found to cause cancer over prolonged exposure.

R.I.P. Gentlemen.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Tragic loss of life.

Unfortunately in hazardous surroundings errors can amplify and cause such tragedy, safety of the workers should always be an important issue, and should be looked after without compromise. And yet i see many industries ignoring these issues.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rip
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

May you all rest in peace......

Comment

Rest in peace.

Comment

Very unfortunate.

Tragic loss of life.

May their souls rest in peace.

It also affects India's acquiring the N subs.

Russian submarine mishap to delay India's nuke submarine plans
                          http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/nov/...-sub-plans.htm

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I worry about a accidental launch of nukes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                              Yes, russian systems are outdated very often, especially naval ones. And russian chemical industry is outdated as whole

I should add two names, they marked as John Doe in initial list, but were identified just now
                              Шутов Игорь
                              Власов Андрей
                              both were great guys, both were married, both were under 30, Igor's son is one and half year old.
                              Rest in Peace lads

First of all RIP...Very Tragic.

I do agree with you, unfortunatly from what I have read the Russian Navy has been the least funded of the military branches, unfortunatly for the sailors and other personnel having to work on these things, its catching up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by BudW View Post
                                I worry about a accidental launch of nukes.
                                Dual release. The military owns the delivery vehicles and State Security owns the nukes.

Comment

Working...
                                X