MP7 vs. P90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP7 vs. P90

I was wondering if anybody had any insight on which PDW, the P90 or the MP7, is superior. The P90 has a 50 round magazine so it has the advantage of more ammunition but if you drop the magazine when it is only partially loaded the rounds go everywhere and get disoriented in the magazine and that can seriously jam the weapon, at least that is what some sources have said. The MP7 has slightly better penetration than the P90. But the P90 has a slightly heavier bullet, 31 grains compared to the MP7’s 24.7, which I would believe would lead to better performance on soft targets. The MP7 does have a slightly higher cyclic rate of 950 rounds per minute compared to the P90’s 900 rpm. Any opinions on which weapon is better?

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm

http://www.hkpro.com/pdw.htm

The mp7's advantages are its size and weight, although its effectiveness against soft targets is absolutely horrible. I cannot over-stress that point. Amagine getting hit by an airsoft pellet (from a good AEG). They hurt, but not as much as a paintball. Paintballs have less energy and velocity, but they will put you on the ground faster. The heavier the bullet, the more destruction it causes.
    Also, the p90 has a downward ejection system, great for suppliers. Also, the ejection system uses gravity , so there is little jamming involved. The p90 is more accurate, more powerful, and carries more ammunition.
    As for rate of fire, 900 and 950 make alsmost no difference. As long as you can squirt-off a bunch of rounds in one pull wihtout having to wait, then you're fine.

Comment

I would imagine thier both fine weapons. Do I think either of them are the best solution? Maybe not.

The mp7 amd p90 have both been adopted by certain elite units around the world. The mp7 is in service with the germans and being trialed with several countries. The p90 is in service with the french GIGN.

Comment

" As long as you can squirt-off a bunch of rounds in one pull wihtout having to wait, then you're fine"

Comment

"As long as you can squirt-off a bunch of rounds in one pull wihtout having to wait, then you're fine"

...and a perfect candidate for any terrorist group. :)

Comment

BTW, i think the entire PDW concept is stupid.

And not just a little stupid. But blatantly stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
              I guess something is always better than nothing, but if I had a bunch of bad guys in body armor shooting at me, I would want something a little more substantial than a remote-controlled icepick.
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Like say, an M-4 carbine...

PS: Loved the 'remote control icepick comment'.

Instant classic. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

And not just a little stupid. But blatantly stupid.
                  I think it's being given to the the wrong People it's being looked at and given to Spec ops, second line and Tank crews. the Mp7's size ( just larger then a large pistol ) and Automatic capability looks to me like a good Idea for downed Pilots and air crews who can't carry even a Carbine assault rifle and might need the Extra fire power.

Comment

In my opinion, the PDW concept is good when you think about it. However, It would make more sense to modify a version of the m4 for the job. If the XM8 goes through, the smallest version of it would work. No new ammo types need be adopted. Give this to everyone, and replace the pistol in that role.

Don't get me wrong, I love pistols. However, I wouldn't imagine they would do very well against any threats that are well armed.

Pistols are ideal back up weapons(for cqb) in case your primary weapon is rendered useless. They allow a greater range then a bayonet and give soldiers a chance to get clear or finish the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran empire
                      the Mp7's size ( just larger then a large pistol ) and Automatic capability looks to me like a good Idea for downed Pilots and air crews who can't carry even a Carbine assault rifle and might need the Extra fire power.
                      The mini Uzi fits the role, whats special about the MP7 (apart from being a state of art SMG from H&K)?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Because, like the P90, it fires a round capable of defeating body armor at relatively long ranges (for an SMG). The Mini-Uzi can't do that, and I've heard that they are really, really hard to control.
                        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                          The mini Uzi fits the role, whats special about the MP7 (apart from being a state of art SMG from H&K)?
                          they (the mp7 and P90) use rounds that are much closer to assault rifle rounds.
                          the MP7 fires 4.7mm and the P90 5.7mm. hence a lot better armor body penetration. Both have more add on options ( optics, lasers, the works)

Comment

I wouldn't think that the 4.7 mm round would even reach 300 yards. That thing is just way too small. The 5.7 is much heavier and will reach much further and hit much harder at that range.
                            Also, the p90's design makes it extremely accurate for its size, and also its magazine capacity is extremely high.

Comment

p90= n00b gun used on stargate.

Comment

Working...
                              X