Computer problem - need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problem - need help.

Hey guys, I recently got some sort of virus/malware on my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6400) and to make a long story short the virus was removed from my computer but now that I have it back it is running very slow and I keep losing my internet connection at least every half hour. None of this occurred before I sent the laptop to get fixed.

I dont have much installed other then AIM, Mozilla, Ad-aware, Spybot, etc and I did a defrag yesterday but is their anything else I can do it make it run faster without having to get any upgrades?

Did you do a registry clean?

Comment

Its never advisable to continue using the current windows installation even after you've gotten rid of the virus.
      In my experience there are always missing files or some other problem sticking around that makes it a pain to get back to normal.
      First back up your important data to an external source, maybe a usb flash or hard drive.
      Second, format your hard drive and do a clean install of windows, if your OS is windows XP (im guessing with an inspiron 6400 you wont be on vista) service pack 1 or earlier download service packs 2 and 3 from Microsoft's website.
      Install both service packs and enable your firewall before connecting to the net and downloading all the latest patches from the windows update website.
      Then install your favoured antivirus product or two. Connect and scan your usb device where you backed up your data. If clean copy back the data to your hard drive.
      Problem solved.

Its also a good idea to use an imaging software such as Norton Ghost to make a backup set of dvds after you have installed your minimum set of required software. This lets you get up and running very quickly in case of any problem in the future.
      Last edited by bolo121; 26 Oct 08,, 20:35.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
        Hey guys, I recently got some sort of virus/malware on my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6400) and to make a long story short the virus was removed from my computer but now that I have it back it is running very slow and I keep losing my internet connection at least every half hour. None of this occurred before I sent the laptop to get fixed.

I dont have much installed other then AIM, Mozilla, Ad-aware, Spybot, etc and I did a defrag yesterday but is their anything else I can do it make it run faster without having to get any upgrades?
        Removing a virus doesn't repair the damage it's done. You can try to run a repair with the Windows disc.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try the registry clean first and then if its still messed up I will reinstall Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Removing a virus doesn't repair the damage it's done. You can try to run a repair with the Windows disc.
            Not true.
            Windows Repair should always be the last of all options, to be done when for some reason you just cannot format.

@ChrisF202
            1)Have a good look at your Startup Items by going to Msconfig.
            2)Have a look at Start-->All Programs-->Startup.[Ideally nothing should be there].
            3) You mentioned,
            Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
            What Antivirus you got?
            Whatever you have. Update it, Unplug the Inet connection[make sure to disable Wifi] and run full system scan.
            If you dont have any Norton Internet Security 2009 or Norton 360 only are the one's. If you want free, go for AVG.
            4) You mentioned Spybot. Thats a real good piece of Anti-Spyware thing you have.
            Update it[Not manually but using its interface], Unplug the Inet Connection[make sure to disable Wifi] and run the full system scan.

Restart the computer and test.
            If the issue persists, restart the system in "Safe Mode with Networking" and let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
              Its never advisable to continue using the current windows installation even after you've gotten rid of the virus.
              In my experience there are always missing files or some other problem sticking around that makes it a pain to get back to normal.
              First back up your important data to an external source, maybe a usb flash or hard drive.
              Second, format your hard drive and do a clean install of windows,
              On an average close to 10,000 new virus are seen on Inet so at some point of time when your inet is not working or you have plugged an infected USB device etc to your system, you WILL GET INFECTED. You cant realistically hope to format the system after every infection.
              Too simplistic and yet too time consuming.

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
              Its also a good idea to use an imaging software such as Norton Ghost to make a backup set of dvds after you have installed your minimum set of required software. This lets you get up and running very quickly in case of any problem in the future.
              On an average I download and Install and then Uninstall about 10 GB of software everymonth.How many sets of DVD's you propose that I maintain? and then how do I classify them?

Comment

Bolo's got it right but for straight cleaning I'd recommend this
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Initally you want to check the registry, and get a good program, to identify dead-resources and recent entries, and look to deleting them. Also might want to check the services you are running under MS-Config > Start-up and disable any startup and services which you are not using. As for the internet connection, microsoft repair would fix any connectivity problems, with wndows. Such as deleting the current profiles for windows and repairing the default. This is done by command line and can be done without a disc.
                  sigpic

Comment

Like its said,

1. Have a good antivirus, anti spyware program (just have one of each, having 2 AV soft running same time would also slow your computer down), update them to latest patches.

I recommend, http://www.free-av.com/

2.Download and install a good firewall, I recommend Kerio (simple and uses less memory)
                    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html.

3. Disconnect from net, run AV for full system scan.

4. Run Anti spyware for full system scan. Delete/quarntine stuff that shows up.

5. Use Hijack this and post a report here, lets see whats cooking...

http://www.merijn.org/programs.php#hijackthis

Also, you can DIY, read and compare your startup list here,
                    http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

For AntiVirus, I recommend u to use "Avast". its free and i have a very good experiance working with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumku View Post
                        On an average close to 10,000 new virus are seen on Inet so at some point of time when your inet is not working or you have plugged an infected USB device etc to your system, you WILL GET INFECTED.
                        You cant realistically hope to format the system after every infection.
                        Too simplistic and yet too time consuming.

On an average I download and Install and then Uninstall about 10 GB of software everymonth.How many sets of DVD's you propose that I maintain? and then how do I classify them?
                        Sumku, as long as all windows updates are installed and a good firewall/antivirus combo is running viruses are nothing much to worry about.
                        I personally prefer Kaspersky internet Security.
                        I am a pretty regular downloader of files and had my last virus hit more that a year and a half ago.
                        As for usb drives do what i do, disable autorun for all drives.

The procedure i pointed out works fine for most people.
                        But if you install and uninstall 10 gb a month!!!.
                        Your system would be screwed by the 5th or 6th month from all that crap.

My base config is pretty stable with a certain set of programs that i always use so imaging works ok for me.
                        For heavy users like you, use a good db program to index your dvds and for current backups you need to keep an external hdd which has images that you autoupdate weekly.

And good point about Ccleaner Pari. I have been using it for a while. In my experience for most moderate cases of registry problems it works fine.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

In my experience, it's not worth your time to try to repair the damage done on your computer. If you don't have many installed aps and not much data, just save the data and format. It's much easier and you won't have that lingering doubt in the back of your mind.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                          X