My prediction on the economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My prediction on the economy

If Obama becomes president, the perception of the economy will improve within 3 weeks of the election. The MSM will no longer need to scare people into voting for their guy. In fact, the MSM will need to pump everyone up so the economy will improve and their guy gets the credit. It worked with Billy.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Who will Lead the U.S. out of Economic Meltdown: McCain or Obama?

Given the current and continuing collapse of the markets domestically and globally, which candidate do you think will have the tools, ideas, men to lead us into better times? Will it be Senator McCain or Senator Obama? Why?
    sigpicDaniel P. Bivona

Comment

If Obama is elected, the "perception" will improve since MSM will no longer need to push their guy by telling people the failures of the Bush economy. Instead, there's vested interest for them to tell people things are getting better. Get them ready for the Obama economy, if you will.

This perception will come about even before Obama takes office.

If McCain is elected, the MSM will continue to sell the next Great Depression.

Comment

Normally I'd agree with you but the MSM are up against a real problem this time. Their tone would probably change but the reality of the situation might tell against them this time.

-dale

Comment

^ Yeah this is a good point. Perception selling is inevitable. I'm a Republican by default, but I believe for our economy to improve, Obama will have to take office so that the negativeness of the Bush campaign is not carried on for the next 4 years. It is sad and I wish that McCain would differentiate himself from the Bush Administration so that Americans could have some sort of confidence toward the Republican side. We need to be more conservative of a nation and I fear the liberalism that is ahead. Good comments
          sigpicDaniel P. Bivona

Comment

gunnut,

If Obama is elected, the "perception" will improve since MSM will no longer need to push their guy by telling people the failures of the Bush economy. Instead, there's vested interest for them to tell people things are getting better. Get them ready for the Obama economy, if you will.

This perception will come about even before Obama takes office.

If McCain is elected, the MSM will continue to sell the next Great Depression.
            the press didn't help out jimmy carter on this point. and they would lose far too much credibility if what they reported went against a very obvious environment.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

i'm going to merge the two threads on the topic.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                gunnut,

the press didn't help out jimmy carter on this point. and they would lose far too much credibility if what they reported went against a very obvious environment.
                But that press was not the same as the press is today.

Comment

I agree with gunnut. It doesn't matter who is the best person for the job: As long as the Democratic candidate is elected in November, things will improve, simply because there is so much negativity associated with the GOP.

Which will prove my long-held prediction: The Democrats will win, not because they have a plan or even the vaguest idea of what they're going to do (they most emphatically do not) but only because they are not the Republicans.

Which in turn leads to my long-held question for the Democrats after their November win: "OK...Now What?"
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                    Which in turn leads to my long-held question for the Democrats after their November win: "OK...Now What?"
                    Everyone will wear a pin that says: Whip Inflation:))

Comment

Dow down 600 points:

Dow Jones Indexes

The DJIA is at 8,579. I watched Mad Money last week or a few days ago and Jim Cranmer said he predicted the Dow to go to 8,400. I think it will go much lower than that. The Dow has lost 35% of its value already this year.

I know it's only an indicator, but it's still not good.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        But that press was not the same as the press is today.
                        No, your right, its not, there are more conservatives in it today. Internet, talk radio, Fox News, etc. Outside of a few commentators like Buckley and George Will there weren't a whole lot of conservatives in the media in the '70s .

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
                          No, your right, its not, there are more conservatives in it today. Internet, talk radio, Fox News, etc. Outside of a few commentators like Buckley and George Will there weren't a whole lot of conservatives in the media in the '70s .
                          The media was on the whole more responsible back in the 1970s. They probably didn't outright cheer for Jimmy Carter like how ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, PBS, and NYT cheer for Obama today. They were actually journalists. Reporting news rather than directing it.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            The media was on the whole more responsible back in the 1970s. They probably didn't outright cheer for Jimmy Carter like how ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, PBS, and NYT cheer for Obama today. They were actually journalists. Reporting news rather than directing it.
                            I just pulled up an article on JSTOR: Horse-Race Journalism: Reporting the Polls in the 1976 Presidential Election C. Anthony Broh
                            The Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol. 44, No. 4, Polls and the News Media: A Symposium (Winter, 1980), pp. 514-529:

My analysis of the media found only two instances of forecasting the winner, both very late in the campaign. One week before the election, the New York Times carried an article quoting political scientist Gerald Pomper, who stated Carter would win with 54 percent. Two days before Election Day, ABC News carried a film clip of Jimmy Carter that he would win, while the Ford White House, also reflecting on the polls, said the race was too close to call. The only forecasts that did not use an outside source came within the final two weeks of the campaign, and forecast a close race, too close to call. Thus I found no instances of journalists themselves forecasting the winner.
                            That may confirm your theory. It may be the case that as the election process has gotten so out of hand, and taking so long, in the present day, that journalists today either through impatience or bias start forecasting results or promoting one candidate over the other too early. Shortening the process may limit their bias.
                            Last edited by Herodotus; 09 Oct 08,, 22:15.

Comment

well gunnut,

seeing the way this election is going, i'm pretty sure we'll find out one way or another. we ought to make a butter-cookie bet here- if the MSM says the economy is going up when the numbers don't seem to say it, you get my next box of delicious heart-attack-in-a-box.

Comment

Working...
                              X