X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel : India top client

Defense exports hit $3.6b; India top client
    By Amnon Barzilai

Israel's defense sector exports reached $3.6 billion last year, beating forecasts, according to Major General (res) Yossi Ben-Hanan, head of the defense export aid department at the Defense Ministry. This is the sector's second best performance ever and an increase of $500 million over 2003. Defense exports reached $4.1 billion in 2002.
    Ben-Hanan was speaking yesterday at the signing of the sale of Israel Military Industries' light arms unit, Magen, to IWI, controlled by businessman Samy Katsav.

Israeli exports of military goods account for 10 percent of the global trade in weaponry, making Israel one of the five leading nations in the world in arms sales.

According to the ministry's figures, India is the number one customer of Israeli-manufactured arms. In 2004, new contracts were signed between the Indian Defense Ministry and Israeli defense companies to the tune of $1.7 billion. Of this, $1.1 billion came from India's purchase of three early warning Phalcon planes from Israel Aicraft Industries and its subsidiary Elta Electronics.

India also bought fighting equipment and systems from Israeli firms to the tune of $500 million.

The Defense Ministry believes that the current trade between the two states will increase in the future. Nevertheless, the ministry forecasts that Israel's military exports will total a more moderate $2.5 billion for 2005.

not surprised...at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tu160mblackjack
      not surprised...at all.

There is no surprise for me also but If India is becoming top client of Israel then

it should not worry for the spare parts if it buys something from US .

I mean if it goes for F-16 .....(no one is sure)

Will Israel give everything to India like Russia....???

It will be even bigger surprise ..... Israel needs US stamp for big items.

So Israel may have India top in its list .But will it be on top .. in India's list..???

Israel ll have to do lot to beat Russia , India's best shop.

Comment

Originally posted by professional
        There is no surprise for me also but If India is becoming top client of Israel then

it should not worry for the spare parts if it buys something from US .

I mean if it goes for F-16 .....(no one is sure)

Will Israel give everything to India like Russia....???

It will be even bigger surprise ..... Israel needs US stamp for big items.

So Israel may have India top in its list .But will it be on top .. in India's list..???

Israel ll have to do lot to beat Russia , India's best shop.
        No, I think Isreal will be restricted by the Us in selling parts, arms, etc. for the f-16 in case India buys it, I mean, it's still an American aircraft, even though the Isrealis use it.

Im sure Russia is already feeling threatened by the Isreali share in Indian imports. Im sure it also knows that the share is going to increase, but whatever happens, Russia will stick to and support India, unlike Isreal which might back out in case of American pressure.

Comment

No, I think Isreal will be restricted by the Us in selling parts, arms, etc. for the f-16 in case India buys it, I mean, it's still an American aircraft, even though the Isrealis use it.

Im sure Russia is already feeling threatened by the Isreali share in Indian imports. Im sure it also knows that the share is going to increase, but whatever happens, Russia will stick to and support India, unlike Isreal which might back out in case of American pressure.

exactly ... you are right.

Israel ll be contained by US pressure.

So what does it mean..???

India will buy only small arms ???

May be yes unless US changes its Indian view.

Russia is worried but its not just giving supplies but making India its partener .

And really I would say that India feels better with Russia.Everything is easy with russia .

Comment

exactly ... you are right.

Israel ll be contained by US pressure.

So what does it mean..???

India will buy only small arms ???

May be yes unless US changes its Indian view.

Russia is worried but its not just giving supplies but making India its partener .

And really I would say that India feels better with Russia.Everything is easy with russia .
            Isreal will sell things to India, but only those things the US approves of. Its kind of complicated, I mean Isreal might step over the line on things like the Green Pine radar, but I doubt if Isreal would sell India F-16s, do you get what I mean? Frankly, I dont think its the US handling most of this, but Isreal itself. Im sure if Isreal wanted to, it could sell us every single thing in it inventory if it wanted to, but Isreal itself, disregarding the US, feels it shouldnt sell India some sensitive equipment.

About Russia, I believe Russia is trying to be a sincere partner, but even then, I highly doubt Russia doing something for India unless theres eomething in it for itself; however, Im sure there are several small exceptions to this. Like to see your views on this.

Comment

Isreal will sell things to India, but only those things the US approves of. Its kind of complicated, I mean Isreal might step over the line on things like the Green Pine radar, but I doubt if Isreal would sell India F-16s, do you get what I mean? Frankly, I dont think its the US handling most of this, but Isreal itself. Im sure if Isreal wanted to, it could sell us every single thing in it inventory if it wanted to, but Isreal itself, disregarding the US, feels it shouldnt sell India some sensitive equipment.

About Russia, I believe Russia is trying to be a sincere partner, but even then, I highly doubt Russia doing something for India unless theres eomething in it for itself; however, Im sure there are several small exceptions to this. Like to see your views on this.

Well Friend,

See , Israel can give items which are solely produced by it. But then as u said if Mr Bush gets angry then it shall not be in Israel's favour. Yes, I agree it will give everything to India as a friend or as a big buyer but First it will see its own interest. Selling small arms will not affect US but Radars , Planes are big items. DOUBT on the sale.

And Russians , They see India and china as big buyers .They get enough orders. They know India , china need them . And Russia needs money.

By making India partener they will get a 5th gen. plane without investing much.They ll have no prob in Giving the tech. to India if They know that with India's help they ll get a new 5th gen plane.

Comment

Well israel has already given india green pine and even phalcon. What works in indias favour is that US dsnt see india as a threat comparable to China (surely china is considreed class apart). So clearly we get a lot of stuff from which china dont get.

Comment

Originally posted by ajaybhutani
                  Well israel has already given india green pine and even phalcon. What works in indias favour is that US dsnt see india as a threat comparable to China (surely china is considreed class apart). So clearly we get a lot of stuff from which china dont get.

We havent receive all that i think(tell me if i m wrong)

Its in India's favour if US sees China as a Big threat.

I read somewhere That in 2050 USA , CHINA and INDIA will be the three Biggest powers ( Economic , Military ) and If the same goes on then USA ll be left behind.

Comment

I read somewhere That in 2050 USA , CHINA and INDIA will be the three Biggest powers ( Economic , Military ) and If the same goes on then USA ll be left behind.
                    Ive read the Bush foriegn policy and there is a special clause devoted to China and Im not sure but maybe India too. It states that further weapons deals by these countries (India, China, and few other not so important countries) will be considered a thret, or something around that. You can read it too, its on the internet, a very interesting piece of literature. I read a long time ago so dont have a link, but gogle it and you should get it.

Comment

Well we already have green pine radars
                      http://www.nti.org/e_research/profil...1931_2065.html

and phalcons will be delivered in a year .

About the GDP comparisons here is the link

http://www.gs.com/insight/research/reports/report6.html
                      The pdf contains a detailed analysis of BRIC countries( Brazil China India and russia ) vs G6 and how They will bcome bigger than G6 by 2050 and that too in real terms . Its true that china will far exceeed US in GDP by 2050 and india will be quite near to US in GDP values.

Comment

Ive read the Bush foriegn policy and there is a special clause devoted to China and Im not sure but maybe India too. It states that further weapons deals by these countries (India, China, and few other not so important countries) will be considered a thret, or something around that. You can read it too, its on the internet, a very interesting piece of literature. I read a long time ago so dont have a link, but gogle it and you should get it.

No need to read all than man , your lines say a lot. Weapon deals by India , china will be considered as threat..?????

Why...???
                        Americans are attacking everyone . Poking their nose everywhere.....

If we dont buy anything or try to produce by our own then tommorow some missiles may knock our doors too.

Its Good that India is Doing great to improve its military and economy.

Comment

No need to read all than man , your lines say a lot. Weapon deals by India , china will be considered as threat..?????

Why...???
                          Americans are attacking everyone . Poking their nose everywhere.....

If we dont buy anything or try to produce by our own then tommorow some missiles may knock our doors too.

Its Good that India is Doing great to improve its military and economy.
                          Correction - they are already considered threats to American sovereignty

Comment

Well since america today is worlds biggest power a quater of worlds GDP , a big military power spends half of thw worlds military spending. Nations which are gonna overtake it are surely a threat .

Comment

Well if democracy and freedom are indeed the directive principles of US foreign policy, then why is Bush so laid back in his approach towards India? I wonder...

Furthermore, they are planning to sell F-16's to a country ruled by a military dictator. I just dont get it.

What about the Arrow system ? I suspect they're never going to give their nod for its sale to India.

Comment

Working...
                              X