ISRO plans manned mission to moon in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sumku View Post
    No one has lost it and no one is a winner as yet.
    If India can pull of this one by 2014 as opposed to China's 2020 deadline, India would have a huge lead.
    Ugh, China has already sent its astronauts in space. So its already a winner in that aspect. ISRO has yet to send one. There is a clear winner there.
    Sending man to moon is a different news altogether. So as I said, comparing ISRO's program and PRC's program is not right.

What do you mean by
    Read.

These are 2 independent events, Chandrayan did not happen because ISRO saw China sending people to space.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
      Ugh, China has already sent its astronauts in space. So its already a winner in that aspect. ISRO has yet to send one. There is a clear winner there.
      lol .... you probably are the only person in this world who decides the winner of the race even before the race has ended.

Sending man to moon is a different news altogether. So as I said, comparing ISRO's program and PRC's program is not right.
      Read.
      But you sounded like India has cancelled its Chandrayan simply because ISRO saw China sending people to Space.

Originally Posted by Jay
      Space race?? India lost the race if that's what it is. China is ahead of India. These are 2 independent events, Chandrayan did not happen because ISRO saw China sending people to space.
      I Still have my question here ... as to what made you decide that Chandrayan did not happen...? In what Context did Chandrayan didn't happen. Was it supposed to happen earlier than April or was it scheduled last year or you are implying that Chandrayan was cancelled and has been again restarted ??

What exactly you meant by "did not happen"?

I know that China is ahead of India but by all counts the lead is not so huge that it cannot be plugged real quick.

Comment

That would be the equivalent of saying the Soviets won the space race; as even the Soviets managed to send astronauts in space before the Americans!
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

There is a HUGE difference between orbiting the earth in a capsule big enough for 3 men, and sending a full size Command Module PLUS Lunar Excursion Module to the moons surface, and bringing them back safely.

THAT is the tricky bit!

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
            That would be the equivalent of saying the Soviets won the space race; as even the Soviets managed to send astronauts in space before the Americans!
            The Soviets didn't have a five year lead over America in manned space missions, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumku View Post
              lol .... you probably are the only person in this world who decides the winner of the race even before the race has ended.
              I said India and China are not in a space race as you seem to allude. If so, India has lost the first leg even before it started. PRC already sent people up, while India has not, is it that hard to understand?

But you sounded like India has cancelled its Chandrayan simply because ISRO saw China sending people to Space.
              Again, read it in the context, you seem to always miss the context. India and China are not in a race, Chandrayan and Shenzhou are 2 independent events and India is sending Chandrayan not because of Shenzhou, like a tit for tat or US/USSR space race. Is that clear enough to comprehend?

I Still have my question here ... as to what made you decide that Chandrayan did not happen...? In what Context did Chandrayan didn't happen. Was it supposed to happen earlier than April or was it scheduled last year or you are implying that Chandrayan was cancelled and has been again restarted ??
              Read above.

I know that China is ahead of India but by all counts the lead is not so huge that it cannot be plugged real quick.
              Jingoism. ISRO has only validated their manned capsule re-entry vehicle, then there are plenty of support systems to test, hopefully they've done them already, and then send a human to space and then putting him in orbit and then sending him to the moon. China has already completed the first 3, ISRO just completed 1. So I wouldnt say it can be plugged real quick as you seem to think.
              Last edited by Jay; 09 Oct 08,, 02:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                Yuri Gagarin is still the first human in space. America lost the space war in that leg. But then America put a man in the moon before the Soviets.

Look at the many first's from the Soviet's, they lost the PR war, big time. Lot of information on Soviet Space endeavors were tied with military and classified unlike NASA.
                Soviet space program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                Last edited by Jay; 09 Oct 08,, 02:31.

Comment

I'm not putting down ISRO or anything, but we got to give where credit is due, in this case Shezhou-5.

BTW, unlike China, ISRO has very big ambitions, With Chandrayan-1 they are planning to 3-d map the moon and with Chandrayan-2 they will sending a rover.

Look at the objectives from ISRO,

The Chandrayaan-1 mission is aimed at high-resolution remote sensing of the moon in visible, near infrared(NIR), low energy X-rays and high-energy X-ray regions. Specifically the objectives will be
                  To prepare a three-dimensional atlas (with a high spatial and altitude resolution of 5-10m) of both near and far side of the moon.

To conduct chemical and mineralogical mapping of the entire lunar surface for distribution of elements such as Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Calcium, Iron and Titanium with a spatial resolution of about 25 km and high atomic number elements such as Radon, Uranium & Thorium with a spatial resolution of about 20 km.
                  Scientific

Comment

ISRO moon mission

I don't think it is quite unreasonable for India to reach the moon by 2014.
                    The US has already done it and if the Indians throw enough money at it and throw out the safety manual they could get to the moon ahead of China.
                    Assuming the Chinese don't do the same.
                    Last edited by Rodinga; 09 Oct 08,, 03:04. Reason: typo
                    There is no such thing as free lunch

Comment

ISRO has not said its going to put Man on Moon by 2015, but by that time it will send man in space which will set it up for a future program for a manned flight to the moon sometime around 2025. Im sure 15yrs is long enough for the ISRO to develop techology to get there on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodinga View Post
                        I don't think it is quite unreasonable for India to reach the moon by 2014.
                        The US has already done it and if the Indians throw enough money at it and throw out the safety manual they could get to the moon ahead of China.
                        Assuming the Chinese don't do the same.
                        Throwing out the safety manual means a one way ticket to the moon which is not happening. India will start by sending its own manned mission in space and after gathering enough experience, it will send one to the moon.
                        Right now we dont have any astronauts. They have to be trained and become well versed with the rigors of space before going there.

Comment

Space race?? India lost the race if that's what it is. China is ahead of India. These are 2 independent events, Chandrayan did not happen because ISRO saw China sending people to space.
                          The race is not over Sir.

Comment

ISRO just needs adequate funds and goverment support,if given CHANDRAYAN-2 is not a big deal.Our space mission laged behind china,just because of the,"technological restrictions placed on India after 1974 test and enough goverment funds".India had to devlope some technologies on its own,which took time.One good ex. is the "Cryogenic engines" which Russia refused to sell India under US pressure.
                            And at the same time the"Space war is not over yet",Hope ISRO would Surely Do What it said for 2014

Comment

before thinking about the moon ISRO needs to first focus on getting a man into space and back safely! an afterthought says that if we can do that as cheaply as we do with satellites then IOSRO can be a big player in space tourism

Comment

Well, I think Madhavan Nair is being misquoted in the article.

I think he said India will have its first man in space by 2014. It will try to get a man on the Moon by 2020(more likely, 2025)

But for the skeptics, consider that India's approach is a lot different than the US or USSR. India is planning to start testing its RLV (Reusable Launch Vehicle) in 2 years. That would significantly reduce the cost of space access. As costs some down, then you can really step up your activity. Hypersonic scramjet and other newer technologies can come into play, which offer more capability than Saturn-V.
                                With scramjets, India could be sending up a new manned orbital flight every week.

ISRO is already slotted for an ambitious goal of 60 missions over the next 5 years.
                                I assume many of these will be bunched up among a smaller number of launches.
                                GSLV-Mk3's introduction next year will give India the capacity to lift 20 tonnes into low earth orbit.
                                But if RLV works, it could make much of the previous stuff completely obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                                X